Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

• Super Members
8 minutes ago, Turboguard said:

I don’t know what batteries you guys are using but the only one that is giving me problems is the one that came with the camera. When using it, the touchscreen stops working sometimes and I go from 100-shut off completely random. Where I can after a shut off turn it back on. Again, these problems are ONLY with the provided battery. Watson and Green Extreme batteries work perfectly fine for me. Kind of scared to continue to use the Bm battery. 

My report is based on the one that BM supply.

Not ideal is it?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
21 minutes ago, MattH said:

It was probably either that or not include a battery.  I guess at least this way you CAN use it untill you get proper canon batteries.

I meant not ideal for BM as much as for me.

If its this erratic with the one they themselves supply then they are going to be in a wood for the trees scenario when it comes to getting to the bottom of the problem.

The stock - and correct - answer to any issues with power from BM (including potentially related issues such as intermittent problems with USB-C drives not always being mounted) would be to use their own battery as this is the one they develop and test against and they've lost that.

41 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

I meant not ideal for BM as much as for me.

If its this erratic with the one they themselves supply then they are going to be in a wood for the trees scenario when it comes to getting to the bottom of the problem.

The stock - and correct - answer to any issues with power from BM (including potentially related issues such as intermittent problems with USB-C drives not always being mounted) would be to use their own battery as this is the one they develop and test against and they've lost that.

That would be the stock answer for a company like apple.  But BM are more like Linux. Open source.  canon batteries, apple codec, and they certainly couldnt say "use our lenses" either.

Though I agree its obviously not ideal.

• Super Members
5 hours ago, IronFilm said:

I'm starting to suspect the BMPCC4K battery should be treated the same way I treated the BMCC/BMPCC battery when on a shoot:

A handy extra bonus which allows you to hot swap the external battery!

Absolutely.

Though at least with those two, fabricating an external battery was only a readily available connector away.

I am now seriously contemplating doing what I was only joking about yesterday and cutting the power cable in half and putting a barrel connector on to attach to the SmallRig Sony F battery converter.

1 hour ago, Snuff said:

"Don't currently own one(GH5), but based on my previous tests against the A7iii and X-T2 in 4K The GH5 would be worst than A7III and X-T3 but better than Pocket 4K, Z7, and EOS R (in that order). In 1080P 24 It would be similar to X-T3, better than black magic, a7iii, and others. For 120FPS it would be X-T3. A7iii second, GH5 third, Blackmagic 4th, Z7, and last EOS R." - Max Yuryev

So his opinion based on his tests, A7iii & X-T3 wins which would make sense based on reviews. Kinda surprised about P4K

Aside from the 120fps tests, it seems like the XT3 and P4K are on par and he seems to prefer both over the others. From there, it depends if you're an editor/colourist or a shooter.

I said it a while ago, the the P4K is camera made for the post production, it's an editor's camera. The XT3 leans more towards SOOC.

I wonder where it would stand after being sharpened in post to the same extent the other cameras sharpen in camera.

2 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Absolutely.

Though at least with those two, fabricating an external battery was only a readily available connector away.

I am now seriously contemplating doing what I was only joking about yesterday and cutting the power cable in half and putting a barrel connector on to attach to the SmallRig Sony F battery converter.

The battery is definitely the weakest link. It was the same with the original pocket camera. 

It's handy to keep it small on the Ronin S, but needs a more robust solution for general shooting. I'll be interested to see what you come up with. I'm probably going to pick up a dummy battery for the short term.