Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
30 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

Tanqueray at the back!! My favorite.

I wouldn't evaluate the image of a camera from 2 screenshots and a mobile phone video. But maybe I am too conservative with equipment I haven't touched, or use.

That's what I wrote up there above that same post on reduser : ) It is always nice to listen some others' opinions though, it is what we have for now :-)

5 hours ago, Django said:

meanwhile Sony adds a picture profile to the FS5 and has the nerve to call it a MK2.. the hype train is real these days..

getting back to BMD, this is how you do a real camera follow up!

Maybe this is why the left picture profiles off the a9. Saving them for the a9ii.

cant stand the look of the BMD, but for that price I’m buying one. I think it’s time for my video camera to just be a video camera. Im kind of sick of stuffing around with Sony alphas for video. And sick of waiting for a7siii. 

Just wish the pocket had internal nd filter. Cause I’m also sick of carrying around nd filters!

24 minutes ago, thefactory said:

Maybe this is why the left picture profiles off the a9. Saving them for the a9ii.

My guess would be to save them for A7sIII which looks like it will have the same near-global-shutter performance. 

24 minutes ago, thefactory said:

I think it’s time for my video camera to just be a video camera. 

I agree, there is definitely a value in separating the video from the photo since not only you get a better tool for each job, but I find it also puts you in the proper mental state. I believe there are a lot of people that were forced to use a hybrid such as GH5s or A7s* strictly for video since there weren't that many choices.  But now, or sometime later this year to be exact, with the pocket4K if you don't really need a hybrid then it is a great choice.

"cant stand the look of the BMD, but for that price I’m buying one. I think it’s time for my video camera to just be a video camera. Im kind of sick of stuffing around with Sony alphas"

Interesting..I have the impression most favor BMDs "look" over Sony.

1 hour ago, Don Kotlos said:

My guess would be to save them for A7sIII which looks like it will have the same near-global-shutter performance. 

I agree, there is definitely a value in separating the video from the photo since not only you get a better tool for each job, but I find it also puts you in the proper mental state. I believe there are a lot of people that were forced to use a hybrid such as GH5s or A7s* strictly for video since there weren't that many choices.  But now, or sometime later this year to be exact, with the pocket4K if you don't really need a hybrid then it is a great choice.

I gave up on hybrid.  I have a Canon DSLR and a BMPCC.  There was no other way I was going to get Prores and raw 1080p for $500.  No new expensive hybrid camera has compelled me to upgrade.  Obviously the new BMPCC 4k is now going to be my next camera.  I do like that it has photo capabilities but the Canon stays and I will definitely upgrade to some kind of Canon full frame.

Once I stopped looking for everything in one camera I relaxed and a lot of possibilities opened up.

16 hours ago, Jn- said:

The thing about Prores and so called RAW output on non high end cameras is that its taken “later” in the data food chain, from the sensor starting point.  Indeed as Wolfcrow’s article on Gh5 points out, theres hardly any benefit in recording externally on Gh5, although workflow, based on an easier codec may be a good reason, but not pure resolution.

Hopefully this new cam can produce a good quality Prores/Raw image, compared to h264.

I think its wise to wait, even though i’m tempted to preorder, i’ll wait for the first quality reviews of the prores, if its good ill be in.

Obviously you never used the original BMPCC.  The raw and prores were solid.  You had to spend thousands of dollars to get a new camera that even came close.  The BMPCC is the real deal.  I thought the GH5 was going to be basically what the BMPCC 4k claims to be.  But as you noted for whatever reason it fell far short of the BMPCC.

BMPCC files are a pleasure to grade and the noise when it does appear is very film like.  There is no macroblocking, harsh highlight roll offs, banding, etc.

2 minutes ago, SR said:

Hey guys, those in America (I'm not from America), what's the best way to preorder, via B&H? They seem to require a full payment as far as I can tell.

I always used B&H in the past, but after a few headaches... I have been peordering through Hot Rod Cameras. They have been A1 with every order I have placed with them.

29 minutes ago, mechanicalEYE said:

I always used B&H in the past, but after a few headaches... I have been peordering through Hot Rod Cameras. They have been A1 with every order I have placed with them.

I went with MR. EYEs Suggestion on the day everything changed for us.... it cost $122 to pre-order at HOT ROD.(with Shipping inc.) I just went back to see if they updated the Photo (it was a picture of a BMPCC v1 but with the 4k version name) And I swear they just added the small print that was not there monday: "Deposit is non-refundable" 

There is no way I plan on backing out but... somehow that doesn't seem legal. I paid with paypal though. 

http://hotrodcameras.com/BMP4k

52 minutes ago, SR said:

Hey guys, those in America (I'm not from America), what's the best way to preorder, via B&H? They seem to require a full payment as far as I can tell.

I've preordered a number of things through B&H, they've never processed payment until they're getting ready to ship - unless you're using something like PayPal. From their site:

"Customers with USA billing addresses will not be charged until the order is processed for shipping. However, a credit card authorization hold occurs at the time the order is placed. Credit card customers with non-USA billing addresses will be charged in full at the time of purchase."

1 minute ago, Trek of Joy said:

I've preordered a number of things through B&H, they've never processed payment until they're getting ready to ship - unless you're using something like PayPal. From their site:

"Customers with USA billing addresses will not be charged until the order is processed for shipping. However, a credit card authorization hold occurs at the time the order is placed. Credit card customers with non-USA billing addresses will be charged in full at the time of purchase."

The guy is outside the US.

16 minutes ago, Juxx989 said:

I went with MR. EYEs Suggestion on the day everything changed for us.... it cost $122 to pre-order at HOT ROD.(with Shipping inc.) I just went back to see if they updated the Photo (it was a picture of a BMPCC v1 but with the 4k version name) And I swear they just added the small print that was not there monday: "Deposit is non-refundable" 

There is no way I plan on backing out but... somehow that doesn't seem legal. I paid with paypal though. 

Super shady.

Just now, Trek of Joy said:

-1 for my reading comprehension. Oops.

Lol.  No prob.  Happens to me all the time.  I am such a US centric person I tend to be stuck in that mode and overlook the fact a lot of people don't benefit from our wonderful retail environment.  The US has a lot of problems but the retail is SOLID.

1 hour ago, SR said:

Oh, can I ask, what sorts of headaches?

Giving false information as to the pre-order queue placement. They would tell me that my camera was gonna ship on a certain day due to being one of the first to order, to only have to call back when I didnt receive a tracking number and have another person contradict what the previous person stated.

1 hour ago, Juxx989 said:

I can assure you that the "Deposit is non-refundable" text was there on Monday. ( it was when I ordered mine, and I'm 1st in line ) I have seen it on every pre-order product that I have ordered through them.