Yurolov

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

3 hours ago, Emanuel said:

Jon, speaking of our recent discussion on ergonomics topic, hope we future BMPCC 4K users do not end there on a gimbal:

2013-03-10t142113z_30585432_1.jpg

:-)

That looks a bit different and out of the box but confortable :) so does this and would handle the BMMPC4K just perfectly even with big lenses.

IMG_1089.jpg

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
13 minutes ago, Django said:

tell me about it.. i just bought a 2012 C100 last month! LOL ;) 

I even produced a feature made with one also coupled to an external recorder (Atomos) in the US a few years ago, released three years later. All that Jazz still and forever up for many years to come as well, so... ;-)

I am an indie filmmaker, I shot my first feature on Sony HVR-FZ 1, back in 2009 and a year later Canon 5D disrupted the market. We toiled hard to get over harsh video look and deep DOF of HVR Z1 and then 5D made us look like fools. Even though many known filmmakers appreciated the screenplay, but harsh video look was stumbling block. Then every other indie filmmaker was coming out with "cinematic" 5D, 7D footage and our film looked amateurish. That got me started with DSLR and understanding them.

I was shooting Panasonic GH2 till last year and finally I got GH5. I was absolutely loved it. I though 10 bit is new standard for indie filmmakers now, especially those who can't afford raw. Just few months later Panasonic released GH5S, which is even more suited for my work. I didn't need IBIS more than low light capabilities. I was anyways juggling between between GH2 and rented A7SII and then GH5 and A7SII. When I heard they already had GH5s in mind even before the launch of GH5, I felt cheated. Panasonic like any other camera manufacturer was trying to exploit market. I am Panasonic fanboy since Panasonic DVX100 days.

And then comes BPCC 4K, it gives 12 bit raw, which even Panasonic EVA 1 can't deliver. If it has same or similar sensor as GH5s, I don't need A7Sii. I hardly go over 10,000 ISO even on AS7sii. And it is cheap. It will force Camera manufactures to reduce price on cameras like Canon C200, EVA 1, Sony F7 and F5. IMO Raw will be new indie film-making standard, if not already and 10 bit will be new prosumer standard. It may have lots of issues, but I won't shooting another indie on anything less than 12 bit raw. If budget permits I will go for C200 or even better. But in worst case scenario there is always BPCC 4k to fall back upon. Point is BPCC 4k will disrupt the indie film-making landscape just as Canon 5D did back then. 

54 minutes ago, Django said:

meanwhile Sony adds a picture profile to the FS5 and has the nerve to call it a MK2.. the hype train is real these days..

getting back to BMD, this is how you do a real camera follow up!

Sony were trying to do a Canon (around 5 generations or more of Canon entry level cameras had the same 18MP sensor).

Maybe if they paid a few reviewers, the reactions would have seemed more positive. 

On 11/4/2018 at 12:09 AM, Luke Mason said:

Untitled_1.4.2.thumb.jpg.c7944d2caf6dd014623cac94ee3aa2a5.jpg

Untitled_1.4.1.thumb.jpg.28d76a3fdce70251bc3ab1ff0ce090e4.jpg

Tanqueray at the back!! My favorite.

I wouldn't evaluate the image of a camera from 2 screenshots and a mobile phone video. But maybe I am too conservative with equipment I haven't touched, or use.

30 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

Tanqueray at the back!! My favorite.

I wouldn't evaluate the image of a camera from 2 screenshots and a mobile phone video. But maybe I am too conservative with equipment I haven't touched, or use.

That's what I wrote up there above that same post on reduser : ) It is always nice to listen some others' opinions though, it is what we have for now :-)

5 hours ago, Django said:

meanwhile Sony adds a picture profile to the FS5 and has the nerve to call it a MK2.. the hype train is real these days..

getting back to BMD, this is how you do a real camera follow up!

Maybe this is why the left picture profiles off the a9. Saving them for the a9ii.

cant stand the look of the BMD, but for that price I’m buying one. I think it’s time for my video camera to just be a video camera. Im kind of sick of stuffing around with Sony alphas for video. And sick of waiting for a7siii. 

Just wish the pocket had internal nd filter. Cause I’m also sick of carrying around nd filters!

24 minutes ago, thefactory said:

Maybe this is why the left picture profiles off the a9. Saving them for the a9ii.

My guess would be to save them for A7sIII which looks like it will have the same near-global-shutter performance. 

24 minutes ago, thefactory said:

I think it’s time for my video camera to just be a video camera. 

I agree, there is definitely a value in separating the video from the photo since not only you get a better tool for each job, but I find it also puts you in the proper mental state. I believe there are a lot of people that were forced to use a hybrid such as GH5s or A7s* strictly for video since there weren't that many choices.  But now, or sometime later this year to be exact, with the pocket4K if you don't really need a hybrid then it is a great choice.

"cant stand the look of the BMD, but for that price I’m buying one. I think it’s time for my video camera to just be a video camera. Im kind of sick of stuffing around with Sony alphas"

Interesting..I have the impression most favor BMDs "look" over Sony.

1 hour ago, Don Kotlos said:

My guess would be to save them for A7sIII which looks like it will have the same near-global-shutter performance. 

I agree, there is definitely a value in separating the video from the photo since not only you get a better tool for each job, but I find it also puts you in the proper mental state. I believe there are a lot of people that were forced to use a hybrid such as GH5s or A7s* strictly for video since there weren't that many choices.  But now, or sometime later this year to be exact, with the pocket4K if you don't really need a hybrid then it is a great choice.

I gave up on hybrid.  I have a Canon DSLR and a BMPCC.  There was no other way I was going to get Prores and raw 1080p for $500.  No new expensive hybrid camera has compelled me to upgrade.  Obviously the new BMPCC 4k is now going to be my next camera.  I do like that it has photo capabilities but the Canon stays and I will definitely upgrade to some kind of Canon full frame.

Once I stopped looking for everything in one camera I relaxed and a lot of possibilities opened up.

16 hours ago, Jn- said:

The thing about Prores and so called RAW output on non high end cameras is that its taken “later” in the data food chain, from the sensor starting point.  Indeed as Wolfcrow’s article on Gh5 points out, theres hardly any benefit in recording externally on Gh5, although workflow, based on an easier codec may be a good reason, but not pure resolution.

Hopefully this new cam can produce a good quality Prores/Raw image, compared to h264.

I think its wise to wait, even though i’m tempted to preorder, i’ll wait for the first quality reviews of the prores, if its good ill be in.

Obviously you never used the original BMPCC.  The raw and prores were solid.  You had to spend thousands of dollars to get a new camera that even came close.  The BMPCC is the real deal.  I thought the GH5 was going to be basically what the BMPCC 4k claims to be.  But as you noted for whatever reason it fell far short of the BMPCC.

BMPCC files are a pleasure to grade and the noise when it does appear is very film like.  There is no macroblocking, harsh highlight roll offs, banding, etc.

2 minutes ago, SR said:

Hey guys, those in America (I'm not from America), what's the best way to preorder, via B&H? They seem to require a full payment as far as I can tell.

I always used B&H in the past, but after a few headaches... I have been peordering through Hot Rod Cameras. They have been A1 with every order I have placed with them.