Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

12 minutes ago, A_Urquhart said:

lemac.com.au

They are in Melbourne, Australia.

Holy shit, that's where I did my preorder from! (I'm not in Australia, though. A friend's bringing it over to me.)

The email confirmation I got a few months back:

"Thanks for pre-ordering the BLACKMAGIC POCKET CINEMA CAMERA 4K!

You’ve been placed on the wait list to receive one of the first units that arrive in the country, estimated to land in September 2018."

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, A_Urquhart said:

Just got an email from my retailer saying that my Pocket4k has arrived and is ready to be picked up! I guess they made the September delivery!

Will grab it tomorrow. 

thats interesting lemac still have it available as a preorder  i would have thought once they had received a shipment they would have stopped preorders. perhaps their website will process  preorders for a little bit longer. i was kinda judging  the soon to be availability on when preodering stopped

B&H was even more vague.

The following is still out of stock: 

Pocket Cinema Camera 4K
(BL4KPKCAM)Qty:1 

We apologize for any inconvenience and will keep you posted.
Any Questions? Contact us at 212-444-6615 or cs@bhphoto.com

Thank you,
The B&H Customer Service Team

10 hours ago, JordanWright said:

From CVP

The latest update we have for the Blackmagic Pocket 4k is that we should receive shipments around the end of September. However, we are unsure of how many units this shipment will contain.
We will be in touch to take the final payment once we have a unit allocated to your order.

A cinematographer I know in Manchester has just received his today. I have a sneaky feeling he’s making a Pocket 4k film for BMD though. 

51 minutes ago, emielregis said:

42534640_10214599013343399_3136020450493

Australia huh? Favouritism! With Blackmagic and Rode, you fellows have two companies really challenging the Japanese and Americans for that quality/ cost co-efficient and in my view winning hands down. Both Rode and BlackMagic are offering quality products that rival the very best in the world, whilst costing 1/10 the price. Disruptive!

2 hours ago, Lucas A said:

Australia huh? Favouritism! With Blackmagic and Rode, you fellows have two companies really challenging the Japanese and Americans for that quality/ cost co-efficient and in my view winning hands down. Both Rode and BlackMagic are offering quality products that rival the very best in the world, whilst costing 1/10 the price. Disruptive!

its about time us locals got a bit of favoritism, everything else filters down to us last usually. you'd buy a truckload more loyalty ( brand pride perhaps ) from me, if if got it a bit earlier than the rest of the world ?

oh i have rode mics as well ?

4 hours ago, Lucas A said:

Let's not forget Atomos as well.....

On 9/24/2018 at 6:45 AM, A_Urquhart said:

Will grab it tomorrow. 

Any chance you can upload a bunch of footage?

I'd love to see the same thing shot in Film, Video and Extended Video mode for some comparisons. Also, the usual stuff we've not yet seen. Does the sun have a hole? Rolling shutter etc.

No worries if not, I know you probably just want to play with it in your own way haha.

8 hours ago, Lucas A said:

There's a well-known thing here called "the Australia tax" where the same products cost 20-80% more than the exact same products do elsewhere in the world.

It's due to many manufacturers having exclusive suppliers with dedicated regions, so you can only buy through one business and they control the price.

I am also interested in hifi and it's a common occurrence for someone to take their family on a week holiday to Singapore or Japan and buy a piece of hifi equipment and have it shipped directly back to Australia. Depending on how expensive the item is, the difference in price can be so large it covers the cost of the family holiday, a week of lost wages, the shipping of heavy and fragile goods, and the person still comes out ahead.

3 hours ago, Anaconda_ said:

Any chance you can upload a bunch of footage?

I'd love to see the same thing shot in Film, Video and Extended Video mode for some comparisons. Also, the usual stuff we've not yet seen. Does the sun have a hole? Rolling shutter etc.

No worries if not, I know you probably just want to play with it in your own way haha.

I really wish I had the time! I'll see what I can do. I had a quick play today, literally for all of ten minutes.....

- Sensor Calibration option in menu is greyed out. I'm used to doing a calibration at the beginning of each days shoot on the UMP but doesn't look like it's necessary on the Pocket4K 

- I really wish the screen articulated up slightly. Handholding the camera at chest height is most comfortable but it's not the ideal viewing angle for the screen. I would have payed a few hundred $$$ more for the screen to articulate up 30 degrees or so. Would make the camera so much more ergonomic.

- Camera feels great in the hand. Well balanced and a good size.

- hot air blows out from the bottom vent, not too much of an issue but my left wrist rests partially on the vent while pulling focus.

- I have the Speedbooster XL on it and there is absolutely no autofocus info going to or from the lens. I never use AF and didn't think it would be usable at all during a shot but even push AF not working at all with SB XL and Canon 24-105, Sigma 18-35 (Slight vignette at wide end) and Canon 50 1.8 or Canon 85 1.8. All other lens functions work well and iris response from cameras front scroll wheel very responsive.

-  Did a quick recording on a Sandisk Extreme Pro 95MB/s SDCard. 4K25p RAW 4:1 and camera recorded fine for 3-4 minutes before I stopped it. 

Had a quick look at the Fim, Extended and Video modes just looking at the rear LCD. The difference between Video and Extended video seems to be mainly in the highlights. Blacks look the same and nicely contrasty but the Extended mode holds the highlight better. 

So far so good. Really happy with the camera. 

Sorry, thats all I've got for now. Might get some time for another play tomorrow.

Let me know if you want any specific shots done and I'll see how I go but can't promise anything at the moment..... 

7 minutes ago, Jonesy Jones said:

One of the more significant announcements from today is the upcoming Panny Leica 10-25mm 1.7 lens. This will be a brilliant lens for this camera. Too bad there is no OIS. But still, looking forward to pricing and availability.

https://***URL removed***/news/9248867492/panasonic-is-developing-a-10-25mm-f1-7-lens-for-micro-four-thirds

Yeah if it had IS it would be perfect for the pocket 4k.   I guess its still appealing in many ways, but the lack of IS is a dampener and makes other options have more appeal like light weight primes or speed boosted dslr lenses that do have IS.