Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

1st - people not happy with this site should go elsewhere. 

2nd - this site produces valuable article on cameras and also a nice exchange place in the forum 

3 - andrew gets less invites to event not because he shoots not as good as Dpreview, but because he is critical. So companies don’t want to hear their camera is shit. But they are. Most cameras are shit for various reasons and there is abyssimal margin for improvement, and it’s hard to find à cameras that does most things right. When things are right he says it too. We need critical people especially when all other reviews have their rating scale between 4/5 and 5/5.

4 - I canceled the BM preorder not because of the joker who produced the answer shown in Andrew’s article but because I realized I am not gonna pay for a camera bigger and heavier than a GH5 FF / A7S3 that has a sensor smaller than a nail and can’t focus. Appreciate he said we are clowns nonetheless  ? 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
49 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

1st - people not happy with this site should go elsewhere. 

2nd - this site produces valuable article on cameras and also a nice exchange place in the forum 

3 - andrew gets less invites to event not because he shoots not as good as Dpreview, but because he is critical. So companies don’t want to hear their camera is shit. But they are. Most cameras are shit for various reasons and there is abyssimal margin for improvement, and it’s hard to find à cameras that does most things right. When things are right he says it too. We need critical people especially when all other reviews have their rating scale between 4/5 and 5/5.

4 - I canceled the BM preorder not because of the joker who produced the answer shown in Andrew’s article but because I realized I am not gonna pay for a camera bigger and heavier than a GH5 FF / A7S3 that has a sensor smaller than a nail and can’t focus. Appreciate he said we are clowns nonetheless  ? 

“Most cameras are shit.” That’s classic. ???

Just peeped the Cinema5D report.. looks like you couldn't even record any footage at the Manchester event..making it kinda pointless to begin with imo?! we already know the specs, and what it looks like. Kinda strange/suspect they'd do that considering the camera is suposedly about to drop and therefore in final production stage. or is it?

12 minutes ago, Django said:

Just peeped the Cinema5D report.. looks like you couldn't even record any footage at the Manchester event..making it kinda pointless to begin with imo?! we already know the specs, and what it looks like. Kinda strange/suspect they'd do that considering the camera is suposedly about to drop and therefore in final production stage. or is it?

It's probably because they wanted to host a publicity event for camera youtubers in Europe (Andrew has a blog and forum of course but doesn't do on camera reviews or interviews. Maybe that is the differentiating factor of why he was overlooked.) and do it in a stylish looking environment, but they didn't want torture test footage out there of a dimly lit bar. Probably one of the worst lighting conditions you can have for a video camera.  Imagine some noob just waving the camera round with an unstabilised lens, not focused and stopped down at high ISO with a lot of noise and blown highlights.   It would be counter productive publicity.

The one interesting thing I got from their coverage of that event was the ISO chart which I already mentioned about a page back.  The distribution of stops above and below middle grey changes with the ISO fairly significantly and because of the dual native ISO there is a huge switch (almost a reverse in polarity if you will) going from 1000 to 1250.  A small change in brightness but potentially a big change in how the image looks.

4 hours ago, jonpais said:

“Most cameras are shit.” That’s classic. ???

my interpretation was that "most cameras have something that is shit about them".  I raved about my d800 but the focusing is pretty shit. (*Caveat: some things are subjectively, not objectively shit :D)

• Administrators

Classic phrase haha.

Most cameras are shit in about 6 months when the next one comes out!

Pocket 4K is flavour of the month but when people start to sit down and actually edit 4K 60p Cinema DNG on their machines, the tears of frustration are going to come pouring out. You think 1080p 24p uncompressed DNG was choppy to edit with big file sizes, you ain't seen nothing yet :)

They will all be back to the warm embrace of the full frame look and IBIS, huge EVF and looooong battery life, 240fps and 10bit on an A7S III / Panasonic full frame Lumix in no time.

29 minutes ago, MattH said:

Imagine some noob just waving the camera round with an unstabilised lens, not focused and stopped down at high ISO with a lot of noise and blown highlights.   It would be counter productive publicity.

I can imagine. It wouldn't do them any favours. Maybe that's why they didn't let Cinema5D shoot with it haha :)

21 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Pocket 4K is flavour of the month but when people start to sit down and actually edit 4K 60p Cinema DNG on their machines, the tears of frustration are going to come pouring out. You think 1080p 24p uncompressed DNG was choppy to edit with big file sizes, you ain't seen nothing yet :)

Well thats where prores comes in, a codec that edits like butter. Comparing vs the A7S III, panasonic full frame codecs. But I do agree a lot of users will switch back, because they want ibis and a camera that does all the work for them :)

not sure if its been put forward before or even if you have considered it yourself, but why not have a donate button on your front page for a popular product you could raise some money buy the latest camera or lens, review it post your review. hold on to it for a couple of months for an extended review then hold a forum lottery with one of us lucky subscribers who donated  winning it. i haven't pre booked the bm4k yet because... well been burned before going down that path so i can wait a few weeks or more if it's that good and everyone raves about it. i would think more than a few of your subscribers could wait short period for an honest review as well. i not saying that i would be throwing money your way every week but i could afford a couple of dollars once a month if there was a chance of winning something immediately more useful than say a school raffle plus the chance to win something would have to be better than winning the national lottery surely. that way we help you to help us your not beholden to the manufacturers of the tech we all enjoy.if it proved popular i would think after a short period any manufacturer that had a good bit of gear and knew it  would be happy to send a unit in for review. well thats my 2  cents. i guess in about 12 hours from now when i log back in i'm either a genius or condemned to one of the 7 lower hells more likely lol

1 hour ago, MattH said:

It's probably because they wanted to host a publicity event for camera youtubers in Europe (Andrew has a blog and forum of course but doesn't do on camera reviews or interviews. Maybe that is the differentiating factor of why he was overlooked.) and do it in a stylish looking environment, but they didn't want torture test footage out there of a dimly lit bar. Probably one of the worst lighting conditions you can have for a video camera.  Imagine some noob just waving the camera round with an unstabilised lens, not focused and stopped down at high ISO with a lot of noise and blown highlights.   It would be counter productive publicity.

Could be a good idea to added some interviews to the EOSHD YouTube channel if Andrew feels like that is something he'd enjoy doing?

I know on my own YouTube channel an interview I did at a trade show is my most viewed video! (which is awful.... as I hate that video, oh well)

51 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Is why I often recommend to people we shoot ProRes HQ for a project (especially long projects like a feature film), as you lose only a little vs raw but you gain a much more hassle free life!

• Super Members
9 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Could be a good idea to added some interviews to the EOSHD YouTube channel if Andrew feels like that is something he'd enjoy doing?

Like this one with @webrunner5 ** reacting to @Andrew Reid suggesting he might shut the forum ?

** You know I mean that affectionately @webrunner5 ;) 

6 hours ago, wolf33d said:

3 - Most cameras are shit for various reasons and there is abyssimal margin for improvement, and it’s hard to find à cameras that does most things right.

4 - can’t focus.

Sorry to break it to you, but on both these, that’s were you come in. Maybe you should learn how to handle a camera? I haven’t had a camera with auto-focus for maybe 6-7years now. And I have never had a problem focusing. Maybe step down your aperture, lol

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

This is why people transcode footage...

Years ago I bought a nikon D7000 to replace my nikon D90 for stills and video, I read tons of reviews from sites like Dpreview forums,etc... and thought I was buying a great camera (1100€), I had no idea what lineskipping was, and nobody pointed out that the camera was trunkating 2 stops of highlight DR in videomode (like the d800 or worse), so the results were incredibly bad, useless, any crappy lineskipping canon looked better. Eoshd didn't exist back then or I didn't know of it (when I first saw eoshd I thought it was run by some retarded german canon fanboy ,I didn't really pay attention). I ended up selling that piece of shit for 350€, Andrew would have saved me from that.

Eventually I got interested in Anamorphic lenses so I ended up here, reading through all the posts by people who post in a light manner, not the pretentious loser pseudo-professionalism that happens in the rest of video forums. I learned a lot. Thanks Andrew!!!

2 hours ago, gethin said:

my interpretation was that "most cameras have something that is shit about them".  I raved about my d800 but the focusing is pretty shit. (*Caveat: some things are subjectively, not objectively shit :D)

I suppose that’s why reputable reviewers make it a habit to always do a sniff test when doing an unboxing.

I don't usually post, but I enjoy this site and find it informative and I'm grateful for all the hard work Andrew puts in. I'm risking a ban by posting this, but I don't mean Ill will.

However, although I understand that feeling snubbed is not very nice (and I DO think it would have been wise to let you try it out.)  I can't help feel like, Andrew, you're shooting yourself in the foot a bit with posts like the last one.

It comes across very much like sour grapes and that you're trying to show the world what happens when people mess with you , reminiscent of Donald Trump, who only makes himself look small when he does this, IMO because it comes across a bit childish to some people.

I don't think not buying a camera is much of a punishment, and I think neither would it be wise to unfairly deride the camera as part of a punishment plan. What if the camera is really good?  I suspect that, at some point you'd be interested in trying it,  and that would involve an embarrassing about-face that could have been easily avoided by being cool rather than 'throwing your toys out of the pram' in the first place.

Also, sadly, I think your post actually could be actually be rather amusing to your antagonist in this scenario as It just sounds like you're upset and having a tantrum.

4 minutes ago, Nikkor said:

Years ago I bought a nikon D7000 to replace my nikon D90 for stills and video, I read tons of reviews from sites like Dpreview forums,etc... and thought I was buying a great camera (1100€), I had no idea what lineskipping was, and nobody pointed out that the camera was trunkating 2 stops of highlight DR in videomode (like the d800 or worse), so the results were incredibly bad, useless, any crappy lineskipping canon looked better.

If only you'd waited one generation longer and got the D7100!

I do sometimes get tempted to buy a D7000 myself, because they are dirt cheap on ebay and as a still camera they're pretty good for their price