Yurolov

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

45 minutes ago, noone said:

BMD seems to have grown up as a company and now seems to be after a market far beyond where it started so maybe thinks it doesn't need the likes of Andrew Reid, I would suggest otherwise.

Yep. To me the ineptness that they have shown is a troubling trend. Yeah they make pretty killer products at a really fair price. But what good is it all if no coordination to amount to crap  seems to be the outcome of it.

True specs wise in a lot of areas are scare as hens teeth. When the hell it is Really going to ship?  This thing could be the best thing since sliced bread, but we don't know when the delivery man is going to show up, or what the hell bread we are getting, let alone how it is going to be sliced. Strange goings on.

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Might be the best post so far. Well done.

or when I got him to lie about it on the forum, and he said it was to pay for a medical operation for his sister, for fear of exposing his lie to his dentistry friends on instagram.

oh the good old days

I hope he past dental school and is now one of the top dentists in the world

I've long been a fan of your opinions and reviews @Andrew Reid

I've read every article that you've published [pretty religiously] in the past 4-5 years. And so I feel that on good authority I can say "shame on you for publishing your last article." I'm, quite frankly, shocked with your unprofessionalism. You felt that John Brawley and BMD went low, and you went lower. You have always provided strong opinions based on sound-reasoning, specs and objectivity. However, in this case, you got your feelings hurt and are using your audience to fight back. Shame on you. You just lost major credibility with those who have trusted you for years. 

One of the realities of being a EOSHD reader is the occasional Andrew Reid temper tantrums and flame wars. As something of a self-righteously indignant flame war enthusiast myself, I recognize his reaction. Still, it seems like ultimately Brawley is right, BM is sharing this cameras with working pros, not enthusiasts. I don't know where Andrew makes his money to buy all these cameras, but pretty sure it's not shooting ads or features. No offense, I enjoy his videos and his color work and his idiosyncratic taste, but he's not exactly the industry perspective, which is apparently what BM is seeking. 

1 hour ago, webrunner5 said:

When the hell it is Really going to ship?

We're now coming close to half way through the month and BMD are still saying they're aiming for September release. They've also said they have an announcement about the camera at IBC, which starts this Friday. My money is that they'll be shipping next week, but it's a total guess.

The fact that the unboxing a few pages back is supposedly from the first retail batch of cameras in China also hints that camera stores have received their shipments and are waiting for the green light to stack the shelves and delivery vans. Hopefully those camera stores are in most countries around the world as BMD have also stated that they're planning the same global release day.

Fingers crossed I'm right.

27 minutes ago, nathanleebush said:

. Still, it seems like ultimately Brawley is right, BM is sharing this cameras with working pros, not enthusiasts.

He ALSO said that NO vloggers or reviewers were invited to that Manchester event but the YouTube videos from the likes of Cinema5d and others says otherwise.

At the end of the day, Andrew does not NEED BlackMagic, I guess BM now thinks it doesn't need EOSHD.

I think there are two separate issues.     It is clear that John Brawley is NOT an employee of BM (not directly anyway) but it is clear that Andrew Reid WAS snubbed by BM (clear to me anyway).

Andrew mentioned in the article that what black magic offers is a great codec. Another huge plus is the recording with usb c SSDs. I hope this camera is a huge success so all the other companies (Sony, canon, Panasonic, etc) give us better codecs like raw capure and 60p in their sub 3k cameras! I am tired of the tiny improvements we get with each one of the other camera companies sub 3k cameras. Hopefully this camera changes the industry direction. I think it could! 

Andrew, 

Its all good. Don’t let these guys get to you. Love your site and opinions on the industry. Like I read from someone earlier, you are a master of the written word and I look forward to always reading your thoughts! Thanks!

I guess John’s response kind defines the difference between a blogger who makes films versus a film maker with a blog. 

All I will say is, for anyone wasting time on forums posting about unreleased cameras.. Stop farting around and instead go and shoot more films on whatever camera you already own. And make that a daily ritual whenever you feel the urge to log on to a forum to see if some one replied to your last comment. Do this, and you will become a master of your art.

21 minutes ago, Chris Whitten said:

Who cares. Freebies and review copies are always a privilege, not a right. I'm a professional in a different field and based on your criteria I'm 'snubbed' by 95% of all the gear makers in my field.

I don't think he was asking for a freebie, given he had the camera pre-ordered, he was asking to be invited to check out the camera during a gathering in his hometown. You're comparing apples to oranges anyway. Camera manufacturers depend a lot on blogs, forums, YouTubers, etc. to grow and inform their customers. BMD themselves have benefited from the coverage given on EOSHD, one of the first sites to seriously look at their camera offerings. 

I don't agree with the blog post he made going after JB, I think he could've handled this differently (I think Andrew conceded that himself) but he was absolutely within his right to feel insulted and to voice that. 

The SHEER number of Fake Profiles by supposedly new members (banned members with fake new IDs), and International Trolls from places as far away as Egypt and other places seems to have terribly swelled of late.

There should a Rule in Place, making it mandatory for new members to have a cooling off period, from the time of registration to the time of first posting (maybe a week), and then another 24 hours before each of the next 3 posts. There are just too many trolls and IDs by a handful of lurking members whose raison d'être is solely to troll across all communities where open and free debates are encouraged and allowed. While their contributions to tech and filmmaking is bland or non-existent, their trolling is way too much. 

I find it hilariously ironic that a couple of days after writing a post on "Why the camera press need to grow a pair of balls" decrying freebies & junkets that Andrew throws his toys out of the pram because BM didn't invite him to one of their junkets. Then Andrew declares that he is so pissed off with being snubbed that he is going cancel his pre-order of their camera. This all comes over as unbelievably petulant & childish behaviour.

Andrew then goes on to compound this by posting a ranting blog insulting John Bawley who is one of the rare professional cinematographers who posts on this forum. JB has nothing to do with whether Andrew got invited to the junket or not but that seems irrelevant as he just gets caught in the blowback of Andrew's rage.

andrew,

i know you and the fact that they fear your honest opinion honors you.

so don`t worry about not being invited etc.. and maybe rant a little less about it...

i know an honest review if i see one and i`m pretty fed up with the "friendly" ones that come as a return favor.

so please give less of a shit about what mediocre tv shooters that are on bm`s payroll say and keep up the good work!

best,

wondo

7 minutes ago, nigelbb said:

Andrew then goes on to compound this by posting a ranting blog insulting John Bawley who is one of the rare professional cinematographers who posts on this forum. JB has nothing to do with whether Andrew got invited to the junket or not but that seems irrelevant as he just gets caught in the blowback of Andrew's rage.

Be fair: JB chose to comment on the issue and did so in a cold, seemingly condescending way. JB could've written and said the same thing in a better way. 

Does that justify Andrew's behavior? Could he have handled things differently? I think he could've. He's clearly frustrated and he let it get to him. Hopefully all parties talk things over and remedy things. 

Ultimately it's easier for all of us to shrug things off, as we aren't putting time and resources into the site, dealing with camera makers directly, and all the other politics that comes with running a site like this.