Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

1 minute ago, mechanicalEYE said:

Mark Wyatt's post on BMCuser

Screen Shot 2018-08-28 at 11.10.10 AM.png

Mark Wyatt’s got nothing at all to be ashamed of, and honestly I can’t understand some of the posts over at BMCUser. This is much better than any comparable footage I’ve ever seen from the GH5s as far as dynamic range is concerned. He must be doing something right!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
26 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Glad you cleared that up. Like I said, earlier some people complained the video was in 1080p. I can’t check on my set.

4K has been an option for me since it was first uploaded. I've seen one instance where someone was seeing it capped at 1080p and the problem was that they were viewing it in Safari.

That all looked fine for a first view of some footage, but the beach shots were a bit of a mess - either focus on something we can clearly see or deep depth of field.

Interesting that he said the following:

"The footage was shot using RAW and varying ISO at 400, 1250, and 2500" & "By increasing the ISO to an impressive 1250 and 2500, it allowed me to capture the dark moss-lined walls and unique emerald color, yet also hold onto the highlight detail of the top of the waterfall and sky".

So looks like (if BM didn't clean up the footage & left as is) this camera performs very well at high ISO - so yes, Trees & Waterfalls first please & no cats or dogs!

15 minutes ago, Bioskop.Inc said:

That all looked fine for a first view of some footage, but the beach shots were a bit of a mess

How so? The shots looked fine. Besides we're trying to judge the camera, not his cinematography.

I'm in agreement with jonpais here. I don't see what everybody's complaining about. It's a well shot video that does a good job of stressing the camera. We all know that if a highly produced short film were released, we'd all be marveling about how pretty it is but we'd all still be curious to stress test it and there would be the occasional "Any camera can look good in a controlled situation." comments.

If anybody is put off or confused by this footage then just wait for some more footage. That might even mean waiting until after release.

25 minutes ago, Bioskop.Inc said:

That all looked fine for a first view of some footage, but the beach shots were a bit of a mess - either focus on something we can clearly see or deep depth of field.

I didn't see any focus issues with the beach shots.  In the first shot with the overhanging cliff on the left the focus is on the backround.  In the shot of water hitting pebbles the focus is in the forground.   In the shot with the seaweed on the left the focus is on the seaweed (and the water at that distance from the camera).

1 hour ago, webrunner5 said:

Here is the Vimeo link. I t looks better on there than on You Tube. No surprise.

I gotta say that on my end, the Vimeo version is night and day better than the Youtube version. Or maybe my data rate was super poor on Youtube. My goodness. I think the footage is stunning. I am so much more excited about this camera now. Can't wait to see more footage, and for the release.

Yeah, even seemed glitchy at one point... bunch of noise and smudginess as well as a purple sploosh in the shadows of that overhang...

nbaums.png

^click YouTube compression? Who knows. -- hum, it's also on the Vimeo one ... still, impressive enough up to that point. But I was starting to wonder if it really trumps the GH5S... that has more practicality. But then I get back to its price, codec and fact it's bundled with DaVinci Resolve Studio and that's still sick value over the GH5S.

Well I am not too sure how much data even a modern Sensor can pull out of the shadows like that grab is? You have to admit there is detail, probably a lot more than a Black Hole like most cameras before it would have. I guess we will have to see. But I hope you are not expecting a a RED Monstro 8K VV with 17+ claimed stops of dynamic range for 1299 bucks LoL.

46 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

Yeah, even seemed glitchy at one point... bunch of noise and smudginess as well as a purple sploosh in the shadows of that overhang...

nbaums.png

^click YouTube compression? Who knows. -- hum, it's also on the Vimeo one ... still, impressive enough up to that point. But I was starting to wonder if it really trumps the GH5S... that has more practicality. But then I get back to its price, codec and fact it's bundled with DaVinci Resolve Studio and that's still sick value over the GH5S.

The smudyness is because its not the point of focus.  Its essentially like looking at background bokeh.   And you will always get compression artifacts and banding with streaming, people just dont notice it when they sit down and get into the story.  It's very little to do with the quality ofthe camera. 

I think what browser you use must make a big difference for different people. Using firefox I cant fault the footage at all in 1080 or 4k. Though my monitor is 'only' HD.  If anything the vimeo version was worse for me.

Actually. Scratch that. Now that you mention it I can see that purple splodge on my screen also.  Its like there is a line doing down the left of it which continues into the edge of a green splodge. Its right down the center of the frame.  Now that sort of thing CAN be the camera.   Remember the ikonoskop.

Maybe its just a case of pushing the stadows to much in that particular shot and not aplying chroma noise reduction.  I cant see it in any of the other shots.  In the caves the blacks look black.

Wrote my comment from watching the youtube link on my iPhone X last night and now I saw the vimeo link on my iMac Pro. WOW, It looks great, the sharpness of the Sigma plus 4K is a little to crazy looking for me, but that's an easy fix with a tiny bit of blur. BUT a lot of clients love that SHARPNESS, so it's def a plus to finally be able to have it!

I think the coloring is boring but it's not bad at all. Even the beach scenes are totally acceptable in grade, just boring.

1 hour ago, Cinegain said:

nbaums.png

I'm not particularly fond of this shot, but in that lighting condition this is basically a silhouette shot. Why would you need shadow detail at that level of exposure? If black was pulled down more it would pop a lot more. 

The shot looks like it could be exposed another two or three stops lower. There doesn't need to be shadow detail when you're shooting directly into the sun. This is exposing wrong for that type of shot. 

I attached a still I shot with the OG pocket last week. If you're shooting a light source like that, black can be black.

Screen Shot 2018-08-28 at 12.01.40 PM.png

Bmpcc.jpg

10 hours ago, seanzzxx said:

I am actually really impressed by the footage in the forest, however I agree the beach footage looked kinda funky. There seemed to be a lack of detail and color in those shots somehow, I really wonder what happened there or why they choose to include that. Also while your footage is really lovely Gethin, I disagree that the highlight rolloff is similar there. Not only did you have to underexpose significantly (and understandably) in a lot of shots, your footage also blows out really mean in a lot of the footage, very different from the light in the Pocket 4k which I actually think haloes quite nicely. This is much better than what I experienced from the original URSA. Of course you cannot compare this to the Ursa 4.6k (I know we all will, haha), which has at least two stops more of dynamic range.

I didn't mean to imply that the d5300 had similar highlight rolloff. I was trying to say that I was hoping for a bit more from the BM4K, (especially as that lovely organic feel and nice rolloff is a feature of the original BMPCC).  *With the usual caveat that you shouldn't judge too much from one film. :)

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K ‘Models Walking in Daylight’

John Brawley talks about the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K for the first time. ‘Models Walking in Daylight’ is his first camera test where he checked out the camera’s ability to handle different skin tones.

“The whole point to this daylight test was to see how the camera handled skin tones. We were shooting these scenes later in the afternoon, so I was at ISO1000 or 1250, so it was at the lower ISO for this camera. I understand this gives more in dynamic range, so you have a little bit more highlight-headroom there. When I look at those shots now, I am really impressed at how good the dynamic range is. It is great to see all of that detail I was seeing was actually captured in those shots.”

“I don’t think people realize how easy it is to make things look cinematic with Micro Four Thirds! I know that there are a lot of people who like that 35mm full frame look, but it’s still very easy to get images with an out of focus background with the Micro Four Thirds sensor. I found it a great 4K sensor and really good compromise for a small camera that still gets really, really good looking pictures.”

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K
Apple ProRes 422 HQ 
ISO1000 and 1250
Olympus Pro 25, 45, 1.2 micro and Olympus Pro 12-100 F4 zoom Micro Four Thirds lenses