Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

As Yurolov already mentioned, I think that some shots show so capable DR, which is, of course, expected... Reason why I'm waiting  BMP4k'raw (before, say, GH5s) is even greater possibility to conceal/correct critical WB and exposing mistakes  I made in so often uncontrolled situation... What is rest for best wish is - better build quality and longer life period without issues than original BMPCC... area where Panasonic is, with Canon 5d's, what I found from experience, so annoyingly superior in prosumer/consumer market (it is incredible that I still find GH1 and 5D II in great condition after very hard usage treatment.)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
11 hours ago, Jonesy Jones said:

Well, I shot this short/test for fun last summer with the GH5 with similarish content and conditions. Maybe some value in comparing the two.

I think I intentionally went 'darker' with my CC, but if I had to guess I'd say the P4K has more range than the GH5.

Here's one of the initial released videos from the URSA mini with similar content shot by the same guy the P4K footage above. There's something magical about these images. Can't compare the two cameras. But good for reference.

The ursa shoot is almost all on an overcast day: much more flattering light in a forest. 

Whilst we're sharing forest shoots, here's how the d5300 coped on a sunny day, like the BM4k. Its 4 years old, a camera half the price,  8bit 24Mbps, 1/4 of the res and all, so I guess I was hoping to see better highlight rolloff in the new BM cam.  

And I agree those last shots are not flattering. The footage seems a bit thin. 

I am actually really impressed by the footage in the forest, however I agree the beach footage looked kinda funky. There seemed to be a lack of detail and color in those shots somehow, I really wonder what happened there or why they choose to include that. Also while your footage is really lovely Gethin, I disagree that the highlight rolloff is similar there. Not only did you have to underexpose significantly (and understandably) in a lot of shots, your footage also blows out really mean in a lot of the footage, very different from the light in the Pocket 4k which I actually think haloes quite nicely. This is much better than what I experienced from the original URSA. Of course you cannot compare this to the Ursa 4.6k (I know we all will, haha), which has at least two stops more of dynamic range.

16 minutes ago, Snuff said:

It's still early to draw conclusions, but from the first BMPCC4K shoot I expected more ...
Here's another video for you to compare with GH5s.

I think slowmo is a copout. iPhones look cinematic in slowmo... pretty much everything does. And as you cannot really do any narrative work exclusively in slowmo, well it becomes more of a niche tool. But that said, I own the GH5S and would agree. From the footage I have seen thus far I remain unconvinced by the new offering, but open to seeing more.

After seeing the negative or lukewarm reception accorded here and over at BMCUser, I half-expected the footage to look ghastly. But having watched it myself on a 55" OLED, the short clip looks very nice indeed - and if I didn't know better, I'd have sworn it was in 4K: richly detailed, with gorgeous shadows and little to no noise. I have no reason to doubt that this camera will capture lovely skin tones too. I don't get all the dismissive comments about the video being all trees - the filmmaker put this camera through its paces in a very demanding environment with harsh lighting and it came out aces. I was particularly impressed by the view of the waterfall  - from the moss and leaf covered stones buried in darkness to the glistening water - very impressive dynamic range indeed. Bravo! 

14 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

In the BMPC4K the internally downsampled HD looked just as good if not better than 4K downsampled in post. I suspect the same will apply to the BMPCC4K (or BMCCmkii as I view it ;) )

Wow. If this footage was captured in HD then that is impressive.  Just shows you what real HD should look like.   I suppose in a way (depending on how the process the image) a HD file could have more accurate colour per pixel.  You don't even need to debayer, the sensor effectively becomes a discrete colour sample HD sensor like the C300.  Maybe they don't do it that way, but in any case there is certainly no lack of detail.

2 minutes ago, MattH said:

Wow. If this footage was captured in HD then that is impressive.  Just shows you what real HD should look like.   I suppose in a way (depending on how the process the image) a HD file could have more accurate colour per pixel.  You don't even need to debayer, the sensor effectively becomes a discrete colour sample HD sensor like the C300.  Maybe they don't do it that way, but in any case there is certainly no lack of detail.

It was shot in 4K, not HD.

• Super Members
7 minutes ago, MattH said:

I have no idea if it was, wasn't referring to any specific video (haven't even watched ut yet).

I was just remebering when Hook released a music video from the BMPC4K which turned out to be "just" HD. Myself I only used it in HD unless I wanted raw. Saw no need to downsample in post when the camera did it just as good if not better.

1 hour ago, Snuff said:

It's still early to draw conclusions, but from the first BMPCC4K shoot I expected more ...
Here's another video for you to compare with GH5s.

GH5S Forest Footage

No disrespect but this footage is exactly why I am holding out for the Pocket. The yellow greens and the overall 'mushiness' of the footage is something that really annoys me on my Sony and I see it here as well. The Pocket footage clearly handles color and detail differently (at least in the forest footage, I think the beach footage is also a bit mushy to be honest).

EDIT: The man who shot the footage, Wyatt, also confirmed on bmcuser that someone at Blackmagic graded the footage, he just send in the files. Also everything except in the ravine was shot at ISO 400.

1 hour ago, jonpais said:

After seeing the negative or lukewarm reception accorded here and over at BMCUser, I half-expected the footage to look ghastly. But having watched it myself on a 55" OLED, the short clip looks very nice indeed - and if I didn't know better, I'd have sworn it was in 4K: richly detailed, with gorgeous shadows and little to no noise. I have no reason to doubt that this camera will capture lovely skin tones too. I don't get all the dismissive comments about the video being all trees - the filmmaker put this camera through its paces in a very demanding environment with harsh lighting and it came out aces. I was particularly impressed by the view of the waterfall  - from the moss and leaf covered stones buried in darkness to the glistening water - very impressive dynamic range indeed. Bravo! 

33 minutes ago, MattH said:

29 minutes ago, jonpais said:

It was shot in 4K, not HD.

11 minutes ago, MattH said:

Ah ok. That makes sense.  Its just some people were saying it almost looked like 4k.  Maybe it hadn't rendered in 4k at the time.

Wait a minute, it was you.  "and if I didn't know better, I'd have sworn it was in 4K" 

Whats the deal?

19 minutes ago, MattH said:

Wait a minute, it was you.  "and if I didn't know better, I'd have sworn it was in 4K" 

Whats the deal?

Some were saying this was uploaded to YT in 1080p. My television does not show which resolution the video is playing.

Just now, seanzzxx said:

YouTube often takes a while before it displays 4k resolution, in the meantime the video will be capped at 1080p. I have no idea why. It is actually 4k footage if you go and check now.

Glad you cleared that up. Like I said, earlier some people complained the video was in 1080p. I can’t check on my set.