Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

19 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

It’s already taken into effect at the big retailers in the US B&H and Adorama. Can’t wait till the used market drops to $1700

We are NOT U.S citizens!

Cheapest I found was at CVP for 2285euros (2474$), that seems to be the cheapest retail price in Europe, still a lot better than most new full frame hybrids and significantly cheaper than before (standard price was 2700-2800euros, and heavy discounted was near 2400euros). I am not sure how fast these prices will trickle down locally.

Maybe there will be some grey market nearing the 2000euros mark, hope so. 

It is also an indication that the 6 sold a lot less than the 4, by the way.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
10 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

We are NOT U.S citizens!

Cheapest I found was at CVP for 2285euros (2474$), that seems to be the cheapest retail price in Europe, still a lot better than most new full frame hybrids and significantly cheaper than before (standard price was 2700-2800euros, and heavy discounted was near 2400euros). I am not sure how fast these prices will trickle down locally.

Maybe there will be some grey market nearing the 2000euros mark, hope so. 

It is also an indication that the 6 sold a lot less than the 4, by the way.

I think it was largely due to how inexpensive it was. Even though the Pocket 4k doesn't check a lot of boxes for me I almost bought it just because its so cheap. 

3 hours ago, Richard Carlson said:

My local supplier is currently quoting £2099 for the 6K with a free carry case. 

https://www.ukdigital.co.uk/blackmagic-pocket-cinema-camera-6k.html

same free case offer on the 4K as well. Looks like 5 year warranty on the 6K and 4K is included also.

I got a similar case ( a bit cheaper, but pleasantly dark-ish green) with my P4K back in the day.

@Anaconda_ Unfortunately they do not ship in my country, and anyway, it is a lot more than the 1.995$ U.S citizens pay.

I call it Euro-premium, why we do have to pay the premium anymore, I do not know..

@thebrothersthre3 "almost" is exactly 0 (zero) in any case, whoever low or high a price is.

We have discussed extensively the benefits of owing a P4K camera (even vs the 6K), it is not only because of the price, but the price plays a significant role to its success, yes, obviously.

42 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

I got a similar case ( a bit cheaper, but pleasantly dark-ish green) with my P4K back in the day.

@Anaconda_ Unfortunately they do not ship in my country, and anyway, it is a lot more than the 1.995$ U.S citizens pay.

I call it Euro-premium, why we do have to pay the premium anymore, I do not know..

@thebrothersthre3 "almost" is exactly 0 (zero) in any case, whoever low or high a price is.

We have discussed extensively the benefits of owing a P4K camera (even vs the 6K), it is not only because of the price, but the price plays a significant role to its success, yes, obviously.

I still need a third cam and it’s still on my radar. If it cost the same as the 6k though I’d just buy the 6k for IQ despite the other drawbacks. Just waiting to see if I can find a good deal on a used one when the economy tanks even more(hopefully it doesn’t )

30 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

I still need a third cam and it’s still on my radar. If it cost the same as the 6k though I’d just buy the 6k for IQ despite the other drawbacks. Just waiting to see if I can find a good deal on a used one when the economy tanks even more(hopefully it doesn’t )

It is around 1200$ in U.S, I bet you can find a used one for a lot less, the difference in money is huge, in IQ, is minimum. Have you used one? Braw, Dual ISO coupled with an ok lens and you are good to go. I am happy to use m43 lenses as well, easier, and very productive. The image is, miam..

What else do you have? why you need 3 cameras (I have 4 NX and the P4K now)? It is annoying if you have a lot of different brands and you have to match everything, that is why I try to keep one system, the P4K is bonus, and it is Braw, so it can match anything anyway.

8 hours ago, Kisaha said:

Unfortunately they do not ship in my country, and anyway, it is a lot more than the 1.995$ U.S citizens pay.

Don't forget tax isn't included in he marked price in US. Not sure on the maths, but I think that will close the gap a little..

8 hours ago, Kisaha said:

It is around 1200$ in U.S, I bet you can find a used one for a lot less, the difference in money is huge, in IQ, is minimum. Have you used one? Braw, Dual ISO coupled with an ok lens and you are good to go. I am happy to use m43 lenses as well, easier, and very productive. The image is, miam..

What else do you have? why you need 3 cameras (I have 4 NX and the P4K now)? It is annoying if you have a lot of different brands and you have to match everything, that is why I try to keep one system, the P4K is bonus, and it is Braw, so it can match anything anyway.

Yeah I have been thinking about a single system. I want something with good auto focus so I have an XT3 for that, I suppose I could just get three XT-3's. Would be pretty cheap. I enjoy RAW though so I also have an Ursa mini and just need to decide on a third cam. Either thinking another Xt3 or another blackmagic camera and the Pocket 4k seems to make the most sense(maybe the 6k). They aren't really going for below $1200 used right now. I've shot with the P4K many times but haven't edited any footage before. 

On 4/26/2020 at 5:20 PM, Richard Carlson said:

The 6K is at a reasonable price in Aussie now

https://www.videopro.com.au/p-12714-blackmagic-design-pocket-cinema-camera-6k-canon-ef-cinecampochdef6k.aspx

$AU 3455 which is about £1783/€2039 less the tax back as a tourist and it comes out at £1620 Pity about the 14 days quarantine though!

I got it for less from videopro when it first came out. 3275.

Has anyone seen this cheap battery option:

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.107.9bcb6dedrlxlJs&id=602685620258&ns=1&abbucket=2&fbclid=IwAR3dPAZdtow2g6_Q8T3Hwi9ZVj7el8Z3y93rSXa1prp2ZeLhhy6aPkya4zw#detail

5 hours ago, Yurolov said:

The output voltage is too low ... It is only 10.8 V which is the minimum. The output is only 2A max, the bmpcc 4K power supply is 2.5A !

Imo it is a product that works, but it is anyone's guess how long the bmpcc 4K will work without frying itself.

I use a batpower 98Wh model, output is 15V. It cuts out before voltage goes out of bmpcc 4K specs, and transition to internal battery is seemless. It also has more than enough power to power the camera + OIS + 48V + SSD and charge the internal battery. It can output 90W at 15V, so it should be safe at 6A max (it is designed to power laptops ...)

At only 110 euro it will power the 4K for 270' with T5 connected, screen at 60%, lens OIS on (the internal LPe6n battery gives 44' under the same conditions)

So I can safely keep the camera on and recording for 5h ! (6h20 on SD card, screen at 30%, no OIS).

They also have 148Wh and 210 Wh models (the 148Wh has the same physical size...)

I use the smallrig powerbank holder, on a nato clamp. I have 2 extra nato rails on my cage (one underside, one on the top handle), so I can reposition or attach the powerbank in seconds.

My advice would be : do NOT buy a cheap charger with less than 3A / 15V specs. I think 110 euro is already on the cheap side. My runtime with it equals 6,13 LPe6n batteries, which translates to €484 !

9 hours ago, Yannick Willox said:

The output voltage is too low ... It is only 10.8 V which is the minimum. The output is only 2A max, the bmpcc 4K power supply is 2.5A !

Imo it is a product that works, but it is anyone's guess how long the bmpcc 4K will work without frying itself.

I use a batpower 98Wh model, output is 15V. It cuts out before voltage goes out of bmpcc 4K specs, and transition to internal battery is seemless. It also has more than enough power to power the camera + OIS + 48V + SSD and charge the internal battery. It can output 90W at 15V, so it should be safe at 6A max (it is designed to power laptops ...)

At only 110 euro it will power the 4K for 270' with T5 connected, screen at 60%, lens OIS on (the internal LPe6n battery gives 44' under the same conditions)

So I can safely keep the camera on and recording for 5h ! (6h20 on SD card, screen at 30%, no OIS).

They also have 148Wh and 210 Wh models (the 148Wh has the same physical size...)

I use the smallrig powerbank holder, on a nato clamp. I have 2 extra nato rails on my cage (one underside, one on the top handle), so I can reposition or attach the powerbank in seconds.

My advice would be : do NOT buy a cheap charger with less than 3A / 15V specs. I think 110 euro is already on the cheap side. My runtime with it equals 6,13 LPe6n batteries, which translates to €484 !

Not sure that I like the elongated form factor of a powerbank. This looks like a nice slim and unobtrusive option you can pop on the base. Why do you think it will fry the camera? (not an expert with volts, watts, etc)

10 hours ago, Yurolov said:

Not sure that I like the elongated form factor of a powerbank. This looks like a nice slim and unobtrusive option you can pop on the base. Why do you think it will fry the camera? (not an expert with volts, watts, etc)

Did you miss this thread ? 

The facebook user page was also full of it, enough anecdotal experience with electrical problems. Anyway, the power supply you mentioned does not have enough wattage - I am surprised they sell it specifically for the bmpcc 4K.

My powerbank is actually not much longer, and my cam is secured properly on the stand. I would also not trust my camera on a cheap plastic battery pack between the stand and the camera ...

In my setup, switching position only takes a couple of seconds !

Also take note of the Kamlan 50mm f1.1 mark II 

:-)

I need to order the 21 mm f1.8 asap.

_1120640.JPG

_1120639.JPG

• Administrators
On 4/29/2020 at 7:19 PM, independent said:

Can't get better image quality than the pocket 6k or 4k for the money. 

I beg to differ.

SIgma Fp full frame RAW output to SSD

Panasonic S1 V-LOG 10bit 422

Nikon Z6 ProRes RAW

And arguably GH5S codec is pretty good looking.