Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

• Super Members
1 minute ago, mercer said:

Yeah that is a marginal difference, so if I had to guess, a 3x crop (give or take) sounds about right. 

That shot is in BRaw, right? Did you notice any more noise in the S16 mode? And finally, will SD cards work in that mode or do you need CFast/SSD?

No, they are dng stills.

I've attached them if you want to have a closer look.

Just pressed record in all BRAW modes with a Sandisk Extreme 128  v30 U3 10 SD card and it didn't explode.

Archive.zip

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
31 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

No, they are dng stills.

I've attached them if you want to have a closer look.

Just pressed record in all BRAW modes with a Sandisk Extreme 128  v30 U3 10 SD card and it didn't explode.

Archive.zip 17.47 MB · 0 downloads

Thanks!!! Now when I can find a new one, with the software, I may have to give it a try. I wish BM would offer a fire sale on the P4K like they did with the OG.

• Super Members
38 minutes ago, mercer said:

Thanks!!! Now when I can find a new one, with the software, I may have to give it a try. I wish BM would offer a fire sale on the P4K like they did with the OG.

I wonder whether the deluge of used/and or discounted P4Ks that many (not including me by the way ;) ) thought would happen as people "upgraded" to the P6K ever materialised?

43 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

I wonder whether the deluge of used/and or discounted P4Ks that many (not including me by the way ;) ) thought would happen as people "upgraded" to the P6K ever materialised?

If anything i've seen the 6k used at crazy low prices, even CVP have had a few between £1600-1800. 

2 hours ago, mercer said:

It may be, but from your calculations, the crop seems too large, but I am not the right person to ask about such things.

This was quick math, but seems accurate:

1.89873417721 (4k DCI)

2.02531645569 (4k UHD)

2.70042194092 (2.8k Anamorphic)

2.89330922242 (2.6k 16:9)

4.05063291139 (HD)

Round the numbers as you please.

• Super Members
23 minutes ago, JordanWright said:

If anything i've seen the 6k used at crazy low prices, even CVP have had a few between £1600-1800. 

Seems plentiful stock of them new as well, unlike the Pocket4K.

As someone who has been working his bollocks off creating an intricate workaround to get remote focus over bluetooth working for the 6K this doesn't please me at all !

1 hour ago, BTM_Pix said:

I've hardly seen a deal worth pursuing on eBay. At least, not if you're looking for the DR license as am I. I'm not swimming in cash, but I'm not risking $100 in savings on a used camera.

• Super Members
6 minutes ago, billdoubleu said:

I've hardly seen a deal worth pursuing on eBay. At least, not if you're looking for the DR license as am I. I'm not swimming in cash, but I'm not risking $100 in savings on a used camera.

Yep, they do seem to be holding up very well both in terms of price and interest.

Meanwhile, the thread about the 6K one here has been relatively dormant over the past four months.

5 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Yep, they do seem to be holding up very well both in terms of price and interest.

Meanwhile, the thread about the 6K one here has been relatively dormant over the past four months.

I absolutely love the images the 6k is capable of producing. Other than the fact I only own MFT lenses, it just doesn't suit my needs/ desires currently. Neither does the 4k model, but I want a DR Studio license and it seems too cheap not to buy the camera as well!

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/10/2020 at 5:02 PM, BTM_Pix said:

I said that immediately on the P6K forum back then.

9 of August 2019: "4) this camera in no way will sell more than the P4K."

And you replied "If those people now come back I'm guessing it might will be to the 6K and that the 6K will have a longer life so might well outsell the 4K in the end."

Then I said, among others: "P4K is so cheap already that I doubt we will see a significant difference in price anytime soon."

15 of August:"

..and suddenly the P6K thread is dead silent!

Do you remember what was going on when the P4K was announced?

The P6K is an excellent and very reasonably priced option for 6K and EF aficionados, but the price and features of P4K spoiled us all for ever!"

P4K is da thing!

On 1/10/2020 at 11:39 PM, BTM_Pix said:

dont think many have lost out on the p4k as some people suspect. Im thinking most of us are pretty happy with it, no need to make a leap for a negligibly improved  p6k boat, sailing from a port near never never land🙄

dare i say it, the p6k doesn't trounce the p4k as expected ?  Not sure what bmd's thinking was to release two models so close together, probably caused more angst than anything but its water under the bridge now

4 hours ago, leslie said:

dont think many have lost out on the p4k as some people suspect. Im thinking most of us are pretty happy with it, no need to make a leap for a negligibly improved  p6k boat, sailing from a port near never never land🙄

dare i say it, the p6k doesn't trounce the p4k as expected ?  Not sure what bmd's thinking was to release two models so close together, probably caused more angst than anything but its water under the bridge now

They do not care, they just wanted to cover all their bases before anyone released an 6K camera. 

• Super Members
4 hours ago, Kisaha said:

I said that immediately on the P6K forum back then.

9 of August 2019: "4) this camera in no way will sell more than the P4K."

And you replied "If those people now come back I'm guessing it might will be to the 6K and that the 6K will have a longer life so might well outsell the 4K in the end."

I had to search to check who "those people" were, where they had gone and when they were coming back to get the full context !

The full reply was 

----------

"I'm curious about this to be honest.

Its still quite rare to see one out in the wild isn't it?

There were obviously a gazillion pre-orders when it was announced but I wonder what percentage of those turned into actual delivered sales after all the delays?

How many people cancelled because they got fed up and moved on to another camera (after all people couldn't just put their projects on indefinite hold) or their circumstances changed or they didn't like CDNG being removed?

If those people now come back I'm guessing it might well be to the 6K and that the 6K will have a longer life so might well outsell the 4K in the end."

------

So the pondering was about people who had originally ordered the P4K, had got bored or distracted or poorer etc and didn't end up getting one and then decided to re-visit getting the camera.

With the paucity of availability of the 4K and the immediate availability of the 6K, along with the absolute glut of YouTube reviews from the "hey guys whats happening" bros, it seemed likely that anyone coming back would be more drawn to the 6K.

In the very first post in that thread, I also wrote this with regard to the presentation video of the 6K and what Grant Petty said about P4K delays 

--------------

Instant availability as well, which is another surprise, so whatever those components Grant Petty referenced that had 72 week lead times in the 4K version that have been crippling deliveries are obviously not in play here.

-------------

To be honest, I had the suspicion that whatever component(s) it was that had those lead times for the 4K would not only restrict past and current supply but also likely artificially shorten the overall product life itself.

Which is why I pondered that the 6K would have a longer life with more ready supply and hence sell more units in the end.

Having said all that.....

The 6K seems to have about as much buzz as a sex toy with flat batteries so I was completely wide of the mark !!

I., I don't think you were, really : ) People tend to exaggerate only to justify their decisions, our POV... A bit like when you tend to believe your girl is the hottest on earth... :- D

6 hours ago, Kisaha said:

(...)

..and suddenly the P6K thread is dead silent!

Do you remember what was going on when the P4K was announced?

The P6K is an excellent and very reasonably priced option for 6K and EF aficionados, but the price and features of P4K spoiled us all for ever!"

P4K is da thing!

On that one, you're right anyway : -)

It's good to have the options, just the P4K is a more sensible choice for more people.

I had the money and the will to buy the 6K, just couldn't justify the workflow and the inconvenience however hard I was pushing it in my mind!

@BTM_Pix I didn't want it to sound like an "I told you so" comment, sorry if it sounded like this, that wasn't even the case back then, I was typing with the one hand doing sound with the other and I didn't really processed my replies!

I was trying to find another comment, that it was spot on about the popularity of two cameras but I just found the above, and that's that.

I still believe that the next step will be 8K and that will be our next purchase, until then we will see a few more 6K cameras, when the market will be more mature.

• Super Members
2 hours ago, Kisaha said:

@BTM_Pix I didn't want it to sound like an "I told you so" comment, sorry if it sounded like this, that wasn't even the case back then, I was typing with the one hand doing sound with the other and I didn't really processed my replies!

No, I was just desperately trying to remember who "they" were that I was talking about !

On 12/11/2019 at 2:10 PM, thebrothersthre3 said:

This project I was camera operator and gaffer. It was mostly lit with 2 Godox 60w LED's and a Pixel 220w LED's, we occasionally used a few other lights as well as natural light of course. Haven't run into any issues. Recording straight to an SSD. I don't have access to the footage but everything I've seen so far looks really nice. We have been lighting things pretty well though.

TFJNO2F.jpg

For the love of god please please tell me this was NOT a bts pic from while you were rolling! Although from that read lettering at the top of the BMPCC4K display I fear you were. 

As the boom mic is waaaaaaaaay waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too far away!

2 hours ago, IronFilm said:

For the love of god please please tell me this was NOT a bts pic from while you were rolling! Although from that read lettering at the top of the BMPCC4K display I fear you were. 

As the boom mic is waaaaaaaaay waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too far away!

She isn't speaking here, so it could easily be pre-rolling the shot while everyone is taking position.