Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

2 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

Ouch, lesson learned.

This is also a quirk of the dual gain circuits on the Pocket and GH5S. Sometimes, on the GH5S, I get better results (noise wise) by bumping up the ISO to engage the "high" circuit and then adjust exposure down. I loose DR but in a lot of those cases DR doesn't matter that much (low-light or not a high DR scene). 

Yeah the high end of the low circuit looks terrible. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • 2 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, Turboguard said:

Just curious, why not do your color in DaVinci?

Although I'm not the person you asked, I often edit in Premiere and on those projects, I find it much easier to grade in Lumetri rather than round tripping. This way, you can do a rough edit, rough grade, fine tune the edit, adjust the grade, tweak the audio, tweak the grade, add titles, tweak the grade leave it over night, tweak the grade with fresh eyes and then export. 

I'm sure it's different for everyone, and workflows differ, but rarely am I totally happy with my first grade, and even if I think I am happy with it, watching the project again will prove myself wrong. If I had to roundtrip for every pass I'd waste even more time for not very much gain.

For this reason, when I can I also edit in Resolve, but due to client criteria, that's not always possible. I'm also much quicker with Premiere than I am with Resolve and when your workflow wastes as much time as mine, claiming back as many seconds as you can really helps.

12 hours ago, Turboguard said:

Just curious, why not do your color in DaVinci?

All I really do on this project is mess around with the RAW settings, slap the FilmConvert on and call it a day and I don't really want to buy another version just for Resolve. 

Plus I'm so much faster editing multicam shoots in Premiere than I am in Resolve and if I can keep the entire project to one program I will :)

22 minutes ago, kye said:

So, S16 looks like it's a diagonal of 14.33 and FF is 43.27, which makes the crop factor of 3.02

Thanks, I asked because the OG Pocket was often referred to as having a S16 sized sensor but the actual crop factor was a touch less at 2.88x so I wasn't sure if BM followed the traditional S16 crop in the P4K or the OG Pocket crop of 2.88x.

4 minutes ago, mercer said:

Thanks, I asked because the OG Pocket was often referred to as having a S16 sized sensor but the actual crop factor was a touch less at 2.88x so I wasn't sure if BM followed the traditional S16 crop in the P4K or the OG Pocket crop of 2.88x.

They're so close to each other I'd suggest confirming somehow, rather than relying on the accuracy of their marketing department!

17 minutes ago, kye said:

They're so close to each other I'd suggest confirming somehow, rather than relying on the accuracy of their marketing department!

With the original they were at the mercy of the sensor but with the P4K its a specific crop they created, so one would assume they chose the traditional S16mm size... maybe @CaptainHook knows?

I find this mode very intriguing because it opens up a slew of lens options that could soften the look of the P4K. I don't know if you've seen any footage from the Alexa S16 mode but it's pretty gorgeous.

11 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

Oh man, I just sold my OG Pocket, otherwise I could have checked and compared for you. Sorry about that. Hopefully someone else around here can double check it.

I appreciate the sentiment. Weirdly enough, I haven't found one sample from the new S16 mode online... I would have thought it would be a pretty big deal since a lot of members at bmcuser were petitioning for that mode since the camera was announced.

Also, is the S16 crop mode only in BRaw or is it also available for ProRes?

And will regular SDXC cards work in that mode?

• Super Members
7 minutes ago, mercer said:

With the original they were at the mercy of the sensor but with the P4K its a specific crop they created, so one would assume they chose the traditional sensor size...

I find this mode very intriguing because it opens up a slew of lens options that could soften the look of the P4K. I don't know if you've seen any footage from the Alexa S16 mode but it's pretty gorgeous.

I appreciate the sentiment. Weirdly enough, I haven't found one sample from the new S16 mode online... I would have thought it would be a pretty big deal since a lot of members at bmcuser were petitioning for that mode since the camera was announced.

Let me go and dig out the worst lens in the world and put it on my Pocket4K

Back in 10

41 minutes ago, mercer said:

With the original they were at the mercy of the sensor but with the P4K its a specific crop they created, so one would assume they chose the traditional S16mm size... maybe @CaptainHook knows?

Also, is the S16 crop mode only in BRaw or is it also available for ProRes?

And will regular SDXC cards work in that mode?

Maybe the resolution will give it away?  If it's RAW then we can just work out what percentage of the normal resolution it is and then apply that to the normal crop factor of the P4K?

5 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Computar 12.5-75mm f1.2

Oh I don't know...  Those new fangled computars are gonna run the world one day boy!!

OK, from the BM page, the P4K sensor is 10mm wide, and that is 4096 pixels.  

I think the new mode is the "2688 x 1512 (2.6K 16:9) up to 120 fps" one (also from P4K specs page), which means that it's using an area of the sensor that is 6.56mm wide.

Referring back to this image again:

5a7d398f8f34de0001ef4be5_Sensor-chart-8_

a FF sensor has a width of 24mm, so therefore the crop is 24/6.56 = 3.66

I used the width as that stays constant when you choose different aspect ratios, so it's easier to work out.   Did I do that right?

• Super Members
35 minutes ago, mercer said:

Should we expect a Fujian P4K sample shot?

OK, this is a quick and dirty test so ignore the framing and white balance differences !

So, the Computar 12.5-75mm f1.2 isn't strictly a Super16mm lens but we can use it as a guide to sensor coverage versus the OG BMPCC.

This is it at 12.5mm with the Pocket4K in 4K DCI so you can see how much its covering.

P4K_4K_DCI.thumb.jpg.dc37ec1b83ca39cfcb5202b9fa8afe1e.jpg

This is it in the 2.6K 16:9 mode

P4K_2.6.thumb.jpg.901c0ae67f5f9c53513105a4f87e1b7a.jpg

And this is it on the OG BMPCC

BMPCC.thumb.jpg.d36a9687046ad5ab59ed75c36bc97e53.jpg

If you look at the vignetting, you can see that the BMPCC has a fraction more than the Pocket4K so the conclusion is that a lens worked for you on the BMPCC it will be fine on the Pocket4K in the 2.6K 16:9 mode as it appears to have a marginally bigger crop.

5 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

If you look at the vignetting, you can see that the BMPCC has a fraction more than the Pocket4K so the conclusion is that a lens worked for you on the BMPCC it will be fine on the Pocket4K in the 2.6K 16:9 mode as it appears to have a marginally bigger crop.

Yeah that is a marginal difference, so if I had to guess, a 3x crop (give or take) sounds about right. 

That shot is in BRaw, right? Did you notice any more noise in the S16 mode? And finally, will SD cards work in that mode or do you need CFast/SSD?