Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

• Super Members
59 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

How strange a humble Tamron to perform like this! 

The 12-60 is a bit better than the Olympus in the wide end, but the big issue in general is the 12-17mm. The 18mm Canon's I tried were a lot better.

Thank you very much for the recommendation.

The camera was tilting up a bit on the original which was making the distortion look even more pronounced so I've re-done it.

They are now closer but the Tamron still shades it if you move it in to 17-18mm so it matches the FOV of the Panasonic and the distortion is actually reduced a bit further.

For added context, I have included a Canon 16-35mm f2.8 L lens (on the speed booster) for comparison and well.........

555767815_PanvTamronvCanon.thumb.jpg.075c11bb288f768a5ff9758f08fd299c.jpg

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Here's a more detailed list:

Support for Blackmagic Pocket Battery Grip

Support for new horizon meter tool

4K 2.40:1 (4096 x 1712) recording up to 60 fps in Blackmagic RAW (4K model)

2.6K (2688 x 1512) recording up to 120 fps in Blackmagic RAW (4K model)

2.8K 4:3 (2280 x 2160) recording up to 80 fps in Blackmagic RAW (4K model)

2x desqueeze preview when recording 2.8K 4:3

1.33x desqueeze preview when recording in 16:9 and 17:9 formats

Pinch to zoom up to 8x magnification

USB PTP control support

New 1:1 and 4:5 frame guide options

New ability to type in custom frame guide ratios

Improve auto focus performance

Language localizations

Done. Just tested and right in time for a shooting scheduled for tonight. Thanks.

A few AF tests performed with a cheap Lumix 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 in low light (6:45PM in Western Europe right now) EXT-INT (street buildings from town landscape to a monitor LCD inside the office only a few feet over there). Fast as a shark and damned accurate in any of my early tests.

Much impressed and really improved. Looks like a different camera unit...

75 -> 25 fps adds something there as well. My fav modes from now on.

Anamorphic modes, oh well, no need for additional comments. Any of this for the 6K model as well?

Absolutely... perfect update : P Kudos to you BMD, you're definitely the camera manufacturer number one in 2019 -- who shoots with a Blackmagic won't want to look back ever again... what a tool! And a joy to play with : ) Simply anyone can operate with one. Easier than any of the usual suspects with those nonsense labyrinth menus totally unfriendly to the sake of the art. This is the way! Elitism is over on filmmaking nowadays, thanks to these Aussies! : -)

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/

https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=101259

20 hours ago, Emanuel said:

Done. Just tested and right in time for a shooting scheduled for tonight. Thanks.

A few AF tests performed with a cheap Lumix 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 in low light (6:45PM in Western Europe right now) EXT-INT (street buildings from town landscape to a monitor LCD inside the office only a few feet over there). Fast as a shark and damned accurate in any of my early tests.

Much impressed and really improved. Looks like a different camera unit...

75 -> 25 fps adds something there as well. My fav modes from now on.

Anamorphic modes, oh well, no need for additional comments. Any of this for the 6K model as well?

Absolutely... perfect update : P Kudos to you BMD, you're definitely the camera manufacturer number one in 2019 -- who shoots with a Blackmagic won't want to look back ever again... what a tool! And a joy to play with : ) Simply anyone can operate with one. Easier than any of the usual suspects with those nonsense labyrinth menus totally unfriendly to the sake of the art. This is the way! Elitism is over on filmmaking nowadays, thanks to these Aussies! : -)

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/

https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=101259

I simply love your enthusiasm Emanuel -

and actually I feel pretty much the same. It is almost like Xmas each time a camera update gets released or resolve getting an update.

lovely tools ? 

On 10/24/2019 at 12:10 PM, CaptainHook said:

Apologies, it is indeed 75 fps. The text I posted was old and before we had confirmed the final FPS we could achieve.

Any plans for a 240fps 1080p ? 

Hi, I'm an idiot!

I thought the update was quick and did it with a battery! I know...and I hate myself.

Of course, the update take a long time and the battery died during the process.

Now when turning the pocket 4k on, the screen remain black and the update utility doesn't recognize it anymore. The blue light on the left front is blincking but that's all.

So, I was thinking about maybe a reset of the camera but I can't find anything on the net about how to do it.

Any help? Even for a fool like me?

1 hour ago, christrad said:

Hi, I'm an idiot!

I thought the update was quick and did it with a battery! I know...and I hate myself.

Of course, the update take a long time and the battery died during the process.

Now when turning the pocket 4k on, the screen remain black and the update utility doesn't recognize it anymore. The blue light on the left front is blincking but that's all.

So, I was thinking about maybe a reset of the camera but I can't find anything on the net about how to do it.

Any help? Even for a fool like me?

Hi @christrad I read a post on BMD's forum yesterday..

POST...

"My camera update went til 70%, once there all the usb devices disconnected and windows showed a "can't recognize the usb device" it was stuck and it wouldn't show any activity. Now, the camera doesn't power on and the front recording led is blinkg in white. ¿Is there any way to reset the camera? or it is a brick now

EDIT: I sent a mail to BM support and they answered right away with the solution: copy of the response, in case anyone needs it:

Confirm that the camera is still connected via USB, switch the power to OFF then back ON.
Immediately after powering ON, hold down the Focus Button (the one with the crosshairs) for about 10 seconds.
This should put the camera into recovery mode and allow it to show up in the software and allow you to run the update again."

POST END

Hope this helps, otherwise contact BMD yourself :)

1 hour ago, matthere said:

POST...

"My camera update went til 70%, once there all the usb devices disconnected and windows showed a "can't recognize the usb device" it was stuck and it wouldn't show any activity. Now, the camera doesn't power on and the front recording led is blinkg in white. ¿Is there any way to reset the camera? or it is a brick now

EDIT: I sent a mail to BM support and they answered right away with the solution: copy of the response, in case anyone needs it:

Confirm that the camera is still connected via USB, switch the power to OFF then back ON.
Immediately after powering ON, hold down the Focus Button (the one with the crosshairs) for about 10 seconds.
This should put the camera into recovery mode and allow it to show up in the software and allow you to run the update again.

POST END

Thank you so much for your quick answer! I'm not at home right now but soon I'm back, i'll try the focus Button trick and let you know... 

1 hour ago, matthere said:

POST...

"My camera update went til 70%, once there all the usb devices disconnected and windows showed a "can't recognize the usb device" it was stuck and it wouldn't show any activity. My

My update was stucked at 70% too and sounded disconnected (nearly heart stroke) but I didn't touched that and after 5 minutes it completed successfully update.

3 hours ago, wyrlyn said:

How does the Pana 12-60 lens stab work on BMPCC 4K when there is no IS button on the lens itself?

Have this lens. Image stabilization works very well. It's controlled by the camera and by default is ON. You can turn it off in the menu (Setup).  Am sure was mentioned before but IS on BMPCC 4K works only when you start recording if you are using the internal battery. Obviously this is made to preserve the battery which doesn't last long. If you use external battery IS works all the time before recording and during recording. 

During firmware upgrade was also stuck at 70% but after some time camera said upgrade finished and it works OK. That was my second try. First try disconnected by accident the USB cable. But after re connection was able to start upgrade from scratch and finish it successfully. So in my understanding firmware upgrade is well thought out.

But new firmware 6.6 broke (again) Viltrox speed booster functionality. Aperture and  IS don't work with Viltrox firmware version 2.3 neither with version 3.3.☹️ 

2 hours ago, stephen said:

Have this lens. Image stabilization works very well. It's controlled by the camera and by default is ON. You can turn it off in the menu (Setup).  Am sure was mentioned before but IS on BMPCC 4K works only when you start recording if you are using the internal battery. Obviously this is made to preserve the battery which doesn't last long. If you use external battery IS works all the time before recording and during recording. 

During firmware upgrade was also stuck at 70% but after some time camera said upgrade finished and it works OK. That was my second try. First try disconnected by accident the USB cable. But after re connection was able to start upgrade from scratch and finish it successfully. So in my understanding firmware upgrade is well thought out.

But new firmware 6.6 broke (again) Viltrox speed booster functionality. Aperture and  IS don't work with Viltrox firmware version 2.3 neither with version 3.3.☹️ 

Good to know about the Viltrox issue. I am not upgrading yet, then!

7 hours ago, stephen said:

Just FYI, the firmware seems to work just fine with my Metabones 0.71x.

On 10/26/2019 at 4:03 PM, matthere said:

POST...

This should put the camera into recovery mode and allow it to show up in the software and allow you to run the update again."

POST END

Matthere thank you so much, the focus button trick worked very well for me! Now my dear pocket 4k is fully working with the newfirmware! Love this forum, love my pocket 4k. Big thanks again matthere!