Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

8 hours ago, leslie said:

A lot of machines are heading towards multiple use, dual purpose functionality, take smartphones for example, heck even a fridge can connect to the internet these days. 

Well, I suppose that by the time you rig up many of these cameras with a full cine setup they're quite large, so maybe someone releasing a fridge into the cinema camera market might not be too out of place, but they'd be completely stupid to imply a hand-held run-n-gun in their promotional materials!!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
34 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

The advantage of modern fridges for run and gun film making are that many of them do actually have e-ND built in to them.

Don't remind me of those kind of solutions!

B+W or PolarPro for vND? Or something else? What do you guys think?

13 hours ago, kye said:

Well, I suppose that by the time you rig up many of these cameras with a full cine setup they're quite large, so maybe someone releasing a fridge into the cinema camera market might not be too out of place, but they'd be completely stupid to imply a hand-held run-n-gun in their promotional materials!!

er.. i was thinking more along the lines of integrated gps, internal nd, folding tilting screens, vlogging and stills, all the little things that different companies supply individually in different models, but not as one complete unit. However i'm not interested in hacking a phone and cine camera together. i see a lot issues with anyone getting any sort of production done if their checking their instragram account every two minutes 

13 hours ago, kye said:

i dunno, btm_pix should be able to motorize it, hang a  jib of the top of it and you'd bet set and a coldie close at hand, whats not to like ??

3 minutes ago, leslie said:

er.. i was thinking more along the lines of integrated gps, internal nd, folding tilting screens, vlogging and stills, all the little things that different companies supply individually in different models, but not as one complete unit. However i'm not interested in hacking a phone and cine camera together. i see a lot issues with anyone getting any sort of production done if their checking their instragram account every two minutes 

You're right that it would be great if a manufacturer combined all the best bits.  In my mind the GH5 was pretty close to this, apart from the AF people really don't complain about it in any major way, and even then the AF isn't so bad.

I'd suggest that you re-think how you look at Instagram influencers though:

• they create original art and publish it on a daily basis (or more frequently)
  • they are interacting with their audience, essentially having a conversation about the art form or about the content / concepts it depicts
  • many of them are deriving an income from their art, and some derive their entire livelihood from this

Yes, many of them are just attractive millennials living off product placement, but the vast majority of professional artists are catering to the whims of big brands and the superficialities of the public, so if we simply dismiss them as brand shills then we're also condemning most product, fashion, and lifestyle photographers and videographers, modelling agencies, photo and video re-touching houses, and advertising agencies, which is a very large chunk of the entire industry!

Just now, kye said:

You're right that it would be great if a manufacturer combined all the best bits.  In my mind the GH5 was pretty close to this, apart from the AF people really don't complain about it in any major way, and even then the AF isn't so bad.

I'd suggest that you re-think how you look at Instagram influencers though:

• they create original art and publish it on a daily basis (or more frequently)
  • they are interacting with their audience, essentially having a conversation about the art form or about the content / concepts it depicts
  • many of them are deriving an income from their art, and some derive their entire livelihood from this

Yes, many of them are just attractive millennials living off product placement, but the vast majority of professional artists are catering to the whims of big brands and the superficialities of the public, so if we simply dismiss them as brand shills then we're also condemning most product, fashion, and lifestyle photographers and videographers, modelling agencies, photo and video re-touching houses, and advertising agencies, which is a very large chunk of the entire industry!

i may not have explained myself properly. Personally i have nothing against instagram influencers, my issue, is people being paid to do a job then spend the next 8 hours checking their social status every two mins. i dont see that as productive. People might argue that its boosts morale and their more happy and productive but thats a load of crap.  

1 hour ago, leslie said:

i may not have explained myself properly. Personally i have nothing against instagram influencers, my issue, is people being paid to do a job then spend the next 8 hours checking their social status every two mins. i dont see that as productive. People might argue that its boosts morale and their more happy and productive but thats a load of crap.  

Yeah you don't need to check your account every two minutes to be active on instagram. 

I really try not to check my social media much while on the job or even out with friends. 

Hey Btm-pix ever had your 3c app uninstall itself?  just went to use it and it was no longer there. had to reinstall it kinda curious for any insight

17 hours ago, Kisaha said:

I just received a phone call that my P4K just arrived!

I have a very tough schedule but I am getting it soon!

I think you will like it ?

• Super Members
On 10/8/2019 at 5:29 AM, leslie said:

Hey Btm-pix ever had your 3c app uninstall itself?  just went to use it and it was no longer there. had to reinstall it kinda curious for any insight

Nope.

Once the app is in the Play Store, all of that stuff is taken care of by your phone's OS so its possible your phone had an update that maybe didn't sync all the apps?

Google made some changes to the icon specs recently which may also have caused it but I haven't heard any other reports.

So, yes, I got it in the end. Have no time for tests right now, but I used a CFast card, the Hawk-Woods NFP adapter and the Lens Regain and everything seemed ok.

First of all, can the Lens Regain be connected electronically to the Pocket 4K camera?

The 12-100mm is a disappointment. Wanted it to be my run and gun lens but it is unusable. Very disappointing, wish BM could offer some kind of profile for popular m43 lenses.  I am not sure about other lenses, but with a performance like that this is definitely NOT an m43 camera. 

I will try Canon EF and Viltrox adapters in the next few days.

On 10/9/2019 at 10:15 PM, BTM_Pix said:

Nope.

Once the app is in the Play Store, all of that stuff is taken care of by your phone's OS so its possible your phone had an update that maybe didn't sync all the apps?

Google made some changes to the icon specs recently which may also have caused it but I haven't heard any other reports.

ok thanks, i'm thinking it might be the os. Once i reinstalled i got a virus warning from the the phone straight away, however i clicked on it but it didn't remove or change anything, your not trying to secretly take over the world or anything btm ? ? I have another msg saying there's another update available for the phone os. I'll install that later and see what happens.

• Super Members
13 hours ago, Kisaha said:

First of all, can the Lens Regain be connected electronically to the Pocket 4K camera?

Yes.

The Lens Regain does smart things but remains a dumb adapter at the camera end as all of its electronics are external.

If you look at the rear of it, you will see a void where the lens contacts wold be on an MFT lens so there is no connection at all with the camera electronics.

1 minute ago, BTM_Pix said:

Yes.

The Lens Regain does smart things but remains a dumb adapter at the camera end as all of its electronics are external.

If you look at the rear of it, you will see a void where the lens contacts wold be on an MFT lens so there is no connection at all with the camera electronics.

There are 2 cables included in the Aputure case, one for GH cameras, and another one for older BM cameras, is there a way to connect the P4K with such a cable? (micro USB to usb C maybe?).

It doesn't seem to change focus without it, or am I wrong? I can only change the aperture.

14 hours ago, Kisaha said:

So, yes, I got it in the end. Have no time for tests right now, but I used a CFast card, the Hawk-Woods NFP adapter and the Lens Regain and everything seemed ok.

The 12-100mm is a disappointment. Wanted it to be my run and gun lens but it is unusable. Very disappointing, wish BM could offer some kind of profile for popular m43 lenses.  I am not sure about other lenses, but with a performance like that this is definitely NOT an m43 camera. 

I will try Canon EF and Viltrox adapters in the next few days.

Why is the 12-100 disappointing? I've also been thinking of getting one for run & gun and lessen the time to switch lenses for travels

1 minute ago, TurboRat said:

Why is the 12-100 disappointing? I've also been thinking of getting one for run & gun and lessen the time to switch lenses for travels

it doesn't have the correcting profiles that most cameras do have for their respective lenses now days. There is not a straight line until you go tele!

I own the lens for GH5 use (which I do not own, but use a lot of times per year) and I was disappointed that I can not really use it with the P4K which is the only m43 camera I own. It was a very expensive lens with excellent run and gun characteristics when used natively, but if you have to correct it in post after shooting, then there is no point..

I am wondering if Olympus and Panasonic are sharing profiles between them, and if it is possible for BlackMagic to do that as well. Is this the case with most m43 lenses, or is it just this?

The Samyangs seem alright, I will try the 70-200mm the next couple of days to see what's the deal with it. I guess that being a tele, it won't have any real issues, and it must be optically superior to the Olympus, but the Olympus is a VERY EXPENSIVE lens, it is not a 500$ lens, I paid 1349euros for it and I was expecting a better performance even without corrections.

How about the 12-60mm Panasonic, or the 12-35mm, or the 12-40 Olympus? Does anyone have any hard facts? I guess the only issue is with zoom lenses, but that's a huge problem which I wish knew about it a few months ago.

• Super Members
5 hours ago, Kisaha said:

There are 2 cables included in the Aputure case, one for GH cameras, and another one for older BM cameras, is there a way to connect the P4K with such a cable? (micro USB to usb C maybe?).

It doesn't seem to change focus without it, or am I wrong? I can only change the aperture.

The cables are purely for remotely start/stopping the recording on the camera.

The Pocket4K doesn't have that capability.

The focus control on the EF lens is done between the controller and the mount adapter so should just work.

If the aperture control is working then that proves its communicating with the lens.

At the risk of sounding completely patronising, make sure the switch on the lens is set to AF though ;) 

2 hours ago, Kisaha said:

How about the 12-60mm Panasonic, or the 12-35mm, or the 12-40 Olympus? Does anyone have any hard facts? I guess the only issue is with zoom lenses, but that's a huge problem which I wish knew about it a few months ago.

There's nice review from Florense Piovesan, using P4K almost exclusively with 12-35... Several pages up I posted my own test-clip-story  with same combination.

5 hours ago, Kisaha said:

The Panasonic 12-35mm definitely fisheyes and distorts at 12mm. 

i can post the raw, but I had crop in on the wide shot of the fountain in this clip because of the fisheye vignette but you can see the distortion pretty plainly 

There is definitely an issue here with the native m43 lenses. We pay top money for the best zooms, and the performance is not adequate not even for prosumer use.

on another note, I tested the 70-200mm 4f just now with the Viltrox M1 (I have the 2 also) and the camera doesn't communicate with the lens (so no AF or aperture change), but the image seems good enough!

I have a couple EF-S also I could test, that are wider, but I will update the Viltroxes first.

EDIT: 

EF-M1/EF-M2II Version 3.3
Updated Date: 2019-03-21

Update as follows:
1. Fixed the BUG which cannot control the aperture in BMPCC 4K. 

EDIT 2:

Tried a lot of things, 3 adapters (the 2 Viltroxes and the Lens Regain) no EF(-S) AF on any of them. Iris works fine.

Camera has 6.2.1 installed.