Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

9 hours ago, drm said:

Having used my P4Ks and my P6K many times on shoots, I wonder about this grip. It looks like it would be great on a tripod, and I love the features, but I really don't see this as being something that would be comfortable to use when going handheld. I have my cameras in a cage with a side handle and a F970 battery on top. With this grip, with the two handles and extra bulk on the bottom, I wonder how well it would work in the field. I would be happy to try it out and see how it works in person.

The extra weight and bulk would come in handy if you had the camera mounted on an EasyRig.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, IncriminatingPictures said:

The extra weight and bulk would come in handy if you had the camera mounted on an EasyRig.

Or shoulder mount? Honestly I dont think I want to use an EasyRig without an assistant or a production crew around me. Maybe it's just me because I'm not a pro, but it looks like a movie prop

40 minutes ago, TurboRat said:

Or shoulder mount? Honestly I dont think I want to use an EasyRig without an assistant or a production crew around me. Maybe it's just me because I'm not a pro, but it looks like a movie prop

Might help give some heft for a shoulder too. EasyRig solo isn’t that much of a pain. You just pull down the cable with one hand and mount the camera with the other. I used to do it all the time with a c100 mk2 operating without an asst for one reason or another 

6 hours ago, Kisaha said:

Sucks!

On another note - that still sucks, I have pre-ordered an P4K 20 days ago and the latest official reply was "it can arrive in one week, or two months"..

Yeah I also thought with the release of the P6K, there will be a better inventory for P4K. But it seems that the P6k is better stocked than the P4K.

6 hours ago, Anaconda_ said:

Why? The sensor is wider than 16x9, so to get a 16x9 aspect ratio you need to crop (or window) the pixels on the side. The only alternative is to squeeze the extra pixels into the 16x9 frame and that would be awful haha.

I just remembered that NX1 did 4K from 6K 5 years ago!

I still use 1080p and 120 frames are "too" windowed. Whatever you choose, except 4K, have to use a calculator!

11 hours ago, kye said:

I'm an amateur that can't get it right in 8-bit.. That's why I shoot in 10-bit on my GH5 ???

All kidding aside, it bugs me to use the 10-bit on my GH5 & GH5s now that I have gotten used to the BRAW on the P4K & P6K. I love the GH5 & GH5s footage, but the flexibility of raw is just amazing.

4 hours ago, TurboRat said:

How's the GH5/GH5s now that you compared the P4K to them?

So, this is a much harder to answer question than you might think. The files straight out of camera are great on the GH5/GH5s. So, if you have a project that requires a quick turn around and doesn't have a budget for much post processing, I think that the GH5/GH5s is a better option than the P4K/P6K. In my opinion, the GH5/GH5s is also better for run/gun situations (better battery life, better ergonomics, better AF, etc.).

The BRAW files on the P4K & P6K are excellent, but they require post processing. I don't care for the files if you just use them straight out of camera, like by baking in a LUT. I have tried the Blackmagic LUT, the Leeming LUT,  the Buttery Films LUT, and others, but I don't like the way the files look unless I pull them into Davinci and process them. Normally, this wouldn't be a problem, but I broadcast events live several times per week. I need to be able to apply a LUT to the live feed and have a great look to broadcast. So far, I haven't perfected that process. I am still not happy with the image straight from the camera. I am working on LUTs for this on a regular basis. We just finished a commercial shot entirely on the P4Ks and it turned out great, but we had time to process the footage.

So for fast turnaround projects, pick the GH5/GH5s. If you have time to work with the footage, pick the P4K/P6K. If I can get a nice display LUT, then I will use the P4K/P6K much more often and could probably replace the Panasonic cameras all together. For me and the work that I do, the S1H is darn near the perfect camera (although the AF still bothers me...)

5 hours ago, drm said:

All kidding aside, it bugs me to use the 10-bit on my GH5 & GH5s now that I have gotten used to the BRAW on the P4K & P6K. I love the GH5 & GH5s footage, but the flexibility of raw is just amazing.

I played with 10-bit vs 12-bit vs 14-bit on my Canon 700D with ML RAW and didn't see that much difference, so I just decided that 10-bit was enough.  Not to say there wasn't any difference, because there was, but it was fairly slight I thought.  Then again, not that much DR with Canon and I didn't shoot many actual videos with it, so a few caveats.

28 minutes ago, drm said:

So, this is a much harder to answer question than you might think. The files straight out of camera are great on the GH5/GH5s. So, if you have a project that requires a quick turn around and doesn't have a budget for much post processing, I think that the GH5/GH5s is a better option than the P4K/P6K. In my opinion, the GH5/GH5s is also better for run/gun situations (better battery life, better ergonomics, better AF, etc.).

The BRAW files on the P4K & P6K are excellent, but they require post processing. I don't care for the files if you just use them straight out of camera, like by baking in a LUT. I have tried the Blackmagic LUT, the Leeming LUT,  the Buttery Films LUT, and others, but I don't like the way the files look unless I pull them into Davinci and process them. Normally, this wouldn't be a problem, but I broadcast events live several times per week. I need to be able to apply a LUT to the live feed and have a great look to broadcast. So far, I haven't perfected that process. I am still not happy with the image straight from the camera. I am working on LUTs for this on a regular basis. We just finished a commercial shot entirely on the P4Ks and it turned out great, but we had time to process the footage.

So for fast turnaround projects, pick the GH5/GH5s. If you have time to work with the footage, pick the P4K/P6K. If I can get a nice display LUT, then I will use the P4K/P6K much more often and could probably replace the Panasonic cameras all together. For me and the work that I do, the S1H is darn near the perfect camera (although the AF still bothers me...)

You might already be doing this, but are you taking your final exports and creating LUTs to try in-camera?  (your wording wasn't clear above, so not sure if that's what you say you're already doing..)

You might also be able to take one of the standard LUTs, apply some additional corrections, and then export that as a LUT to use?