Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

• Super Members

The thing I find odd in those responses on Newsshooter is that if BM had put a tilting screen in it themselves from the get go then it would have passed without comment.

Well thats not strictly true as anyone who has actually used it in bright conditions without an external monitor would likely have made the comment that the tilting sceeen was a boon.

I'd be curious to know if the design had just enabled it to tilt rather than go the whole way into being front facing whether it would have got a different reaction as the notion that this enables it be used for vlogging does seem to have caused concern for some reason.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

If they were a bit more careful when designing this camera, it would have been the indie-hit of the century. They lost a lot of customers because of the powering and screen situation. They almost have lost me as well! Still is a great indie hit.

A few days ago I recorded a 120-130minutes performance with my 2 NX1 and I didn't even change a battery. I even have lost the 3rd one I own, and still I do not worry about it. These are 4 years old batteries! This is not a small deal to have one less think to worry about..

A friend got one of those and he is quite happy about it.

https://www.amazon.de/Waraxe-Blackmagic-Pocket-Cinema-Camera/dp/B07MZZST8P/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?keywords=pocket+4k&qid=1557429500&s=gateway&sr=8-4

What is the safest and cheapest way to connect a Sony NPF battery on the P4K?

This is a very good company and I already own something similar for my Zoom F8 recorder and is very well built.

https://cvp.com/product/hawk-woods-dv-bm4-power-adaptor

Is it possible to power it through a SmallHD Focus???

4 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

What is the safest and cheapest way to connect a Sony NPF battery on the P4K?

I use this: https://www.amazon.com/Ansso-Battery-Supply-Aviation-Connector/dp/B07MZLRKRN/ You can mount it directly to a cage or put it on a rail block. I prefer to use V Mount at this point though. If I'm going to rig the camera up, I prefer to have tons of juice.

On 5/8/2019 at 8:54 AM, matthere said:

I watched this the other day, haven't tried it myself yet.. but I wish Blackmagic or at least @CaptainHook would come up with a solution that didn't impact skin so much..

I'd have thought the developers of Davinci Resolve could implement a fix within their own software for their own camera..?  

Already posted this a few days ago.
Working on a set of luts which goes a bit further than what is shown in this tutorial and won't help with the issue in like 50% of the shots affected by it.

1113213393_BMDV4vsACES.thumb.png.845d060ea792692e85efbf9af1aad98f.png

6 hours ago, Kisaha said:

Is it possible to power it through a SmallHD Focus???

Most of the portable monitors are not able to supply enough power for the P4K. The big NP batteries extend the battery life to around 2 hours (with external SSD + phantom power). I use a v-mount battery (150Wh), which powers the camera mostly all day. As long as you aren't trying to create a very small rig for a run & gun type environment, battery life can be made into a non-issue.

Has anyone heard any more about Braw in Premiere? 

I know it's hated here, but I can't get consistent exports from Resolve. The colour in the export is always different to what I see in Resolve. I've researched it a lot, and it's like GOT, totally my fault for not setting things up and calibrating etc. etc. But at least with Premiere what I see is what I get even if it's wrong.

4 hours ago, SR said:

Anything that has FULL FRAME MONITOING has to be the real deal.

On 5/8/2019 at 8:20 AM, Emanuel said:

@androidlad C'mon, let's spill the beans! Where did you find it? Source? : )

Here are more two colorful samples to prove both the high bitrate acquisition capability + raw properties and nicely highlights roll-off put and nothing harsh as videoish

And especially the first video showcases all the reasons I'm neither using Braw nor BMD's film colorspace V4.
Harsh roll-off and sharpening - whatever filtering algorithm is causing it. Looks similar to midtone detail in Resolve.

Not that a GH5s would be even worse with it's over the top small radius unsharp masking and temporal noise reduction...
At least on the Pocket 4K there are cDNG and proper colorspace conversions to ACES or iPP2 with gamut mapping and limiting which fix almost every issue.

Only a good OLPF is missing atm. :)

Screenshot_from_2019-05-12_18-07-48.png

Screenshot from 2019-05-12 18-07-27.png

Screenshot_from_2019-05-12_18-07-01.png

Screenshot_from_2019-05-12_18-06-29.png

Screenshot from 2019-05-12 18-05-40.png

I personally don't have any issues with Braw, and trying to judge it based on YouTube videos seems bazaar. BUT, as a lot of people do have problems with it, I was wondering, is it the kind of thing BMD can improve through firmware updates? 

I'm pretty clueless about format progression, but how was something like ProRes in it's first year of release compared to now? Did h264 get developed further after it's initial release? Can Braw get better to stop people's 300% complaints?

Braw is brilliant. But you can mangle it in post like any codec if you make bad decisions.

It was obvious from the first time I tried it that the extended video LUT was useless with too much contrast and poor highlight handling.

So I never used it.

I graded a piece last week using nothing but primaries. Exposing well in Braw gives you amazing latitude and control in Resolve.

First time I bring my BMPCC4K on a pro set ! I did prep last week and tomorrow we shoot some digital ads for a famous sushi chain. It's a low budget film so the production wanted to use TV's for monitoring. Unfortunately I discovered that the signal sent by Blackmagic can only be read by Pro displays such as my Atomos recorder. I don't know if it has to do with the 10 bit output but it's frustrating to have only the drawbacks of hdmi without its perks (being to be able to plug it to any monitor or tv). Someone here has plugged its blackmagic to a TV successfully ? Maybe HDR TVs can accept the signal, but regular pc monitor and tv's can't. I don't see what I could change in the output settings of the camera that could fix it. Any ideas ?

17 hours ago, deezid said:

Only a good OLPF is missing atm. :)

That's what I try to tell Blackmagic since their first camera. There's no logical reason not to put one (except for cutting costs). Some dslr don't have one because they have such a large amount of pixels it can mitigate any undesirable effects of not having one. I think I'm not the only one who would pay more to have one right off the bat. And you can always argue "why don't you just add one afterwards". I always do, but it can void the warranty, it is not designed by Blackmagic, it's not easily available, and so on... The battery life, the lack of OLPF and the red harsh clipping (I did a shoot in Prores, there was a red candle in a shot, ugly...) are the only three real weaknesses of the camera. Otherwise it is unbelievable, especially for the price !

10 hours ago, Anaconda_ said:

I just tested on my monitor and couldn't get a signal. That's a real shame as I can see it being very useful in a number of situations.

Maybe that's another thing they can fix in an update.

Both work fine for me with every cable I've tried so far.

Tried Panasonic and LG TVs and Freeworld and SmallHD screens.