Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, tonysss said:

I have also BMMCC, and I repeat myself several times, There is no difference between look and color between RAW and Prores! 

It doesn't mean too much how many times you repeat your opinion... It was just little bit misquoting from your side, nothing especial.

And there is noticeable difference between RAW and Prores in texture richness in both cases: BM micro and P4K. To me, both wonderful cameras, where existence of truly RAW solution bring them in front of all other competitive offers.

21 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

The prores does look like mush compared to RAW, though its barely noticeable when not zoomed in 400%, to me at least. That RAW is so sharp lol

As you know, for some usage (reframing etc.) namely 400% is extremely important. RAW vs Prores is upper league of possibility and that few percents of distinctive quality which is either "the must" or "unnecessarily", depends of user and task. (Think of that, for example, as such: superscaling feature of Resolve with 1080p RAW clip may give result similar to 4k in Prores, because of much more initial information...)

25 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

The prores does look like mush compared to RAW, though its barely noticeable when not zoomed in 400%, to me at least. That RAW is so sharp lol

Looks like he used the standard sharpening setting though, yikes. cDNG looks way smoother when it is set to 0. Almost looks like GH5s footage lol
But there is also more detail (and noise) since there hasn't been any fast spatial noise reduction applied.

The ProRes examples show some halos around his face and nose which are caused by the internal unsharp masking algorithm.

13 hours ago, Geoff CB said:

Some great shots and an interesting edit. But I despise that heavy teal/orange grade.

12 hours ago, tonysss said:

I see that it has done a lot of work, cut is amazing. But filmed it was what ? Fuji? A7III ? GH5 ? A7SII ? BMPC4C ? I still see the same image I don't like ..sorry. 

I am still waiting for something from the BMPCC 4K camera that will fascinate me in the picture ... and yet it doesn't come but it should be on time. 

On the contrary, I find more and more amazing stuff from old BMPCC and BMMCC. (Of course, a lot of waste ). 

I like your RX100 videos the most! the little beast RX100 is also interesting ... 

If I traveled like you, I'd rather have a RX100 in my pocket if BMPCC4K + Sigma 18-35 ?

Potential is one thing. Personal taste, something else.

; )

11 hours ago, tonysss said:

I dare to disagree with humility, I have absolutely no difference in the image if I shoot Prores or DNG on my BM cameras. The possibility of editing DNG in post is excellent. but the image is still the same!

11 hours ago, deezid said:

It isn't.
With Braw and ProRes you get strong sharpening and NR (known as the DSLR look), with cDNG there isn't any - when sharpening set to 0 in Resolve.
With Colorspace V4 you get weird lifeless greens and clipped reds which cannot be recovered. With Red IPP2 or ACES (after pulling back) you get perfect reds and greens.

Small test I made using new Rokinon lenses and cDNG inside Red IPP2 last week - download in 4K
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1RRTci4cyRqRsN7vNH1EMEKV1N89AXY9p

No idea if I should laugh or cry : D Both statements can end pretty accurate though BTW : -)

5 hours ago, deezid said:

Looks like he used the standard sharpening setting though, yikes. cDNG looks way smoother when it is set to 0. Almost looks like GH5s footage lol
But there is also more detail (and noise) since there hasn't been any fast spatial noise reduction applied.

The ProRes examples show some halos around his face and nose which are caused by the internal unsharp masking algorithm.

Do you notice a difference when not cropped?

10 hours ago, deezid said:

Seems like BMD isn't open for critic's since Braw/ProRes on the Pocket 4K is perfect.
Since you're here @CaptainHook I may ask for fixing the gamut related issues of the perfect V4 BMD color science as well...

Right now I have to convert BMD V4 CS to ACES or IPP2 with some smooth gamut mapping applied.

BMD V4 vs ACES.png

BMD V4 vs IPP2.png

I'm assuming you weren't actually looking for a response. Hook has been helpful when he's had time. Why go this route? I'd love for his input to remain a part of this forum. Omit the emotion when asking the question so we have a chance at an answer. I know this topic has come up before and he's responded to it. Things are always changing. Lets keep it real in here. Even if I missed something I don't know about, that post isn't getting any of us anywhere. My two cents.

18 minutes ago, graphicnatured said:

I'm assuming you weren't actually looking for a response. Hook has been helpful when he's had time. Why go this route? I'd love for his input to remain a part of this forum. Omit the emotion when asking the question so we have a chance at an answer. I know this topic has come up before and he's responded to it. Things are always changing. Lets keep it real in here. Even if I missed something I don't know about, that post isn't getting any of us anywhere. My two cents.

Yes, although every competent suggestion from user base is important, I think that's BM own forum is right place for reporting and discussing possible bugs.

@androidlad good answer.  

Does that mean that the lower parts of the frame on a global reset camera are brighter, due to the slightly longer exposure time?  It could be compensated for in processing, but that would shift the DR slightly.  Although, come to think of it, skies are normally brighter than land, and are normally on top of the land (if you have the camera the right way up) so in a sense it's almost like a soft-edge ND filter :) 

3 hours ago, A_Urquhart said:

Both look pretty good to me.  I mean, the Alexa has the edge in a few different aspects, but at their relative price-points the fact that the P4K wasn't seriously embarrassed is really the only thing you need to know.  Anyone who resorts to drama and hyperbole about "unusable" or "terrible" or whatever has no clue.  The LUTs were pretty close and some secondary adjustments would close that gap pretty well.

Great stuff.  

15 minutes ago, kye said:

Both look pretty good to me.  I mean, the Alexa has the edge in a few different aspects, but at their relative price-points the fact that the P4K wasn't seriously embarrassed is really the only thing you need to know.  Anyone who resorts to drama and hyperbole about "unusable" or "terrible" or whatever has no clue.  The LUTs were pretty close and some secondary adjustments would close that gap pretty well.

Great stuff.  

Only thing noticeable to me was the dynamic range difference. 

1 minute ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Only thing noticeable to me was the dynamic range difference. 

I noticed:

• DR differences (on the lights mainly)
  • Skin tones on the Alexa slightly more natural distribution in the hues between yellow and pink
  • Saturation on the red hat was a bit more strained on the P4K and a little loss of hue variation

However, those are tiny differences and I have seen a lot of Alexa vs GH5 + GHa LUT comparisons (I own the LUT) so I am a bit familiar with how the Alexa does those things.  However, the skin tones can be adjusted in post, and the P4K should be fine as it has excellent bit-depth and lacks significant compression artefacts which are both big enemies of great skin-tones.

3 hours ago, kye said:

Great stuff.  

Embarrassed?? Too funny to say the least.

The only embarrassing outcome I see here is the market range of the major player comparing with their bonus offer... LOL

Well, "bonus"... Really? ; ) No extra DR will save or unblock your talent ; -)

As much as those used to praise the big boys, as silly as hysteric individuals back to their dramas.

7 hours ago, A_Urquhart said:

Yeah, it was already posted here somewhere in the previous century in this eternity thread :) But, in spite I'm always against nitpicking, I'd  have to repeat that, besides too obvious testing issues (focusing, than probably and white balancing) from such great shooters, resulting difference for me is too noticeable in laptop screen to take it as real. Those scenes from two cameras with DR 13+, I think, should be much more similar, even identical on laptop.

(I can't resist to post one more example of nice and inventive usage of great BM offer to us - sorry, maybe somebody find  some little idea...