Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, webrunner5 said:

They are amazing cameras. That was a wonderful short. Mercer will have one again tomorrow when he sees this video lol. ?

Yeah, that was definitely cool. And soon as I can find one for the right price... hahaha. 

2 minutes ago, AlexTrinder96 said:

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing :)

shot with the Laowa 7.5mm F2 MFT :)

Yeah, I just read that. I can’t say for certain but it looks like it was some variant of ProRes and not Raw. 

• Super Members

Soooo I'm going to throw stones here a bit. I tried out the camera an had some serious problems with it. The form factor threw me off. Why for the love of god are BM still putting reflective screens on their cameras for video? 

Tried to test out the camera for a upcoming short. Honestly it did not immediately strike me as being better than the image from my D750, though zooming in the compression differences do show the advantages of the Pocket. The Dynamic range is worse than I was expecting, about on par with my D750. It is vastly inferior to the URSA mini that I had tried previously, and is actually a surprisingly noisy image out of the camera (cleans up nicely in Resolve denoise).

Crop factor was harder to deal with than expected without adding a speedbooster or buying all new glass. Also wanted to rent cine glass for the short, and there is limited options available for wides. 

Most of all seeing the continuing issue of IR contamination from BM sensors seriously drives me up the wall. 

Color is better on the BM, but wondering if a external recorder on the D750 will bridge the gap even further.

Blackmagic (Prores HQ 4:2:2 Arri Alexa Lut) 28mm

TESTINGBM_1.6.1.thumb.png.ea92f9c40538e9f50f7920b5019b6be6.png

D750 (Neutral out of camera) 40mm

STARE_DOWN_1.5.4.thumb.png.88b86767f0e8aa890fa354c6d9648a1c.png

LAMP_testD750_1.3.1.thumb.jpg.3eaad08f246154737a8c729825af5203.jpg

TEST_lampBM_1.4.1.thumb.jpg.ae852b74f620f42e9755cec695ab3fac.jpg

BOAT_1_13.1.thumb.jpg.7a5634c520d847da2d4a3c7c05ca52e1.jpg

scott_1.8.1.jpg

1 hour ago, Geoff CB said:

Soooo I'm going to throw stones here a bit. I tried out the camera an had some serious problems with it. The form factor threw me off. Why for the love of god are BM still putting reflective screens on their cameras for video? 

Thanks... Is the screen that bad for your usage? There are pretty different information from reviewers.

Also, I suppose  ou know it, and know better than me, but just to remind - actual power of BM camera line lays just in these magic sliders at the left in Resolve when using raw files :) It is so mystical exciting to me to see how blown highlights getting back their picks, how truly molding is WB... I can't resist to feel that something similar maybe it is still possible with my life: bring back to life picks of hopes, totally change skintones of my destiny...

11 hours ago, Geoff CB said:

Tried to test out the camera for a upcoming short. Honestly it did not immediately strike me as being better than the image from my D750, though zooming in the compression differences do show the advantages of the Pocket. The Dynamic range is worse than I was expecting, about on par with my D750. It is vastly inferior to the URSA mini that I had tried previously, and is actually a surprisingly noisy image out of the camera (cleans up nicely in Resolve denoise).

Crop factor was harder to deal with than expected without adding a speedbooster or buying all new glass. Also wanted to rent cine glass for the short, and there is limited options available for wides. 

Most of all seeing the continuing issue of IR contamination from BM sensors seriously drives me up the wall. 

Color is better on the BM, but wondering if a external recorder on the D750 will bridge the gap even further.

Blackmagic (Prores HQ 4:2:2 Arri Alexa Lut) 28mm

TESTINGBM_1.6.1.thumb.png.ea92f9c40538e9f50f7920b5019b6be6.png

D750 (Neutral out of camera) 40mm

STARE_DOWN_1.5.4.thumb.png.88b86767f0e8aa890fa354c6d9648a1c.png

LAMP_testD750_1.3.1.thumb.jpg.3eaad08f246154737a8c729825af5203.jpg

TEST_lampBM_1.4.1.thumb.jpg.ae852b74f620f42e9755cec695ab3fac.jpg

BOAT_1_13.1.thumb.jpg.7a5634c520d847da2d4a3c7c05ca52e1.jpg

scott_1.8.1.jpg

You can easily add a protective anti glare cover to the screen. The DR specs for the pocket and Ursa are not a secret so why is this a surprise and also the sensor size is not a mystery so again why is this an unexpected problem? If you are experiencing a noisy image it would suggest your exposure is not optimal - how are you exposing the P4k?

14 hours ago, Geoff CB said:

Soooo I'm going to throw stones here a bit.

Throwing stones is good :)

I can't comment on the P4K, but I'm in m43 land with my GH5 and I think your summary is about right.  FF lenses adapt really well for the longer focal lengths but getting fast/wide/both lenses is the challenge.

In case you're not familiar with the options:

• Voigtlander make an excellent series of f0.95 lenses
    These come in 10, 17.5, 25, and 42.5mm lengths, which are the equivalents of FF 20mm/1.9, 35mm/1.9, 50mm/1.9, and 85mm/1.9.  They're gorgeous to use, and the aperture ring can be adjusted to de-click.  I only have experience with the 17.5mm one, which is soft at 0.95 but is almost fully crisp at f2.8 (FF f5.6 equivalent) and for some reason has a strange colour shift at 0.95 that cleans up by 1.4
  • I use the SLR Magic 8mm F4 (equivalent to a 16mm F8) that is optically good but not great, but ergonomically is a pig because it's designed for drones not a human user.  There is a Laowa 7.5mm f2 which is more expensive, but seems to be good optically and is designed for human use, and it popular with vloggers due to the 15mm equivalent FOV.
  • The Sigma 18-35 f1.8 on Metabones adapter is popular and optically and ergonomically nice too, although it's heavier than the M43 lenses.

In a sense, I think your criticisms aren't so much that the P4K image isn't great, but rather that the competition is actually really good.. I think we're spending more and more time being overly critical and nit-picky, or making genuine and practically relevant criticisms about cameras that are outputting a level of quality but are a fraction of what equivalent cameras used to cost :)

15 hours ago, Geoff CB said:

1) i agree. The form factor is terrible, but not a lot different than a classic dSLR. If you wanted something like an XC15 or Z (like me) I would understand, but now??

2) how noisy it is? It is a dual ISO sensor, 3200 is perfectly normal for this camera. I have delivered 3200 ISO and they didn't have any complain and I know people shooting 6400.

3) obviously a speedbooster is a safe bet. You can put an EF lens on this camera, you can't have a super small and light do-it-all lens like the Olympus 12-100mm 4f on a full frame camera though. It can be an advantage.

4) whatever system you buy - you buy new glass. That is not a point. I have use the camera only with EF lenses anyway, and a lot do.

5) what about the IR pollution? I haven't edit any of the footage, so I do not know.

If you don't need auto focus, a speedbooster is a cheap easy fix to the crop issue. Although I am not sure why a 1.8 crop is a big issue in the first place. I'd imagine its noisy if you come from the DSLR full frame world. If you are used to shooting with cinema cameras or M43 I doubt it though.

The big dynamic range advantage seems to be when shooting in RAW, especially CDNG. There seems to be a lot of highlight information that something like the GH5 doesn't have.

8 hours ago, JordanWright said:

Ive never noticed any in my footage but I could be missing it.

Same here and with the previous BMPCC. Some subjects may show it but for most it's a non issue and is easily fixed with an IR cut filter.

9 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

If you don't need auto focus, a speedbooster is a cheap easy fix to the crop issue. Although I am not sure why a 1.8 crop is a big issue in the first place. I'd imagine its noisy if you come from the DSLR full frame world. If you are used to shooting with cinema cameras or M43 I doubt it though.

The big dynamic range advantage seems to be when shooting in RAW, especially CDNG. There seems to be a lot of highlight information that something like the GH5 doesn't have.

There is no more DR shooting RAW over ProRes - the P4k simply has more DR than the GH5. 

2 hours ago, Shirozina said:

There is no more DR shooting RAW over ProRes

I have to disagree from my experience with BM cameras - not strictly taking notion of DR (that after all debates seems to me too vague), but simply true RAW vs PR HQ looks better or made such impression-feel even at first glance. Not day and night, but there is a visual difference as I can see. Of course, my eyes are not at all ultimate judge, it might be result of autosuggestion - so rather call for everyone to try and compare. (I don't know how BRAW stay in comparison.)

I tested ProRes vs CDNG when I first got my P4k  last year and I could see no DR advantage to RAW. Infact unless you used NR in resolve the usable DR on RAW was less. Other differences between RAW and Pro Res exist and have been debated at length but both codecs get the the full DR from the sensor.

10 hours ago, MeanRevert said:

Yeah, I've shot in bright sunlight so need a lot of ND.  It's there so IR Cut or that SLR Magic IE filter.

If I use an ND filter (which I am planning to do anyway) is there less IR, or it is completely irrelevant?

If I have to use ND, do I have to put ond of those aforementioned filters before or after the ND?