Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

No, you can use the provided LUTs either in camera, or in post for very nice SOC results. Shooting in a Film or Braw format will give you plenty of freedom to learn grading and one day you might forgo LUTs all together. To start with, all you really need to know how to do is apply a LUT.

I learned by shooting in LOG (on a JVC LS300) applying a LUT I liked and then trying to manually match the LOG file to that LUT. It never came out an exact match, but it gave me the speed of SOC when I needed it, but also an understanding of grading for when I'd like to spend a bit more time on the footage. 

The same is true for any camera that can shoot LOG, but ProRes out the camera will make it easier on your post workflow.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
7 hours ago, Kisaha said:

I thought XT-3 is worst than XT-2 for a stop or so.

Really surprised to hear that is so much better, even compared to the A7iii(?).

Glad I ask!

X-t2 and XT-3 are virtually the same unless you are pixel peeping.

The A7III is much cleaner than the XT3. 3200 on the XT3 looks like 12,800 on the A7III. That  said the difference is the A73 has ghosting issues and more noticeable noise reduction. Thats not something you can fix in post. I say the Black magic Pocket 4k is one of the best low light performers as it gives you an unprocessed image. You can always process and image more in editing but you can unprocess already baked in NR.

I don't see that difference you are talking about: https://***URL removed***/reviews/image-comparison?attr18=daylight&attr13_0=fujifilm_xt3&attr13_1=sony_a7iii&attr13_2=fujifilm_xt2&attr13_3=sony_a7ii&attr15_0=raw&attr15_1=raw&attr15_2=raw&attr15_3=raw&attr16_0=3200&attr16_1=12800&attr16_2=3200&attr16_3=3200&normalization=compare&widget=1&x=0&y=0

ISO3200 on the T3 looks better than ISO6400 on the A73 imo. 
And in video, the A73 has a 1.2x crop with 30p, wo the difference gets even smaller and that's not considering options like All-I noise reduction. 

Back when I had the A73 I thought it was a great cam. Might be one of the best allrounders out there. But the T3 isn't missing out on much when it comes to image quality, while offering a lot more options when it comes to video. It's lacking IBIS though. 

19 minutes ago, frontfocus said:

I don't see that difference you are talking about: https://***URL removed***/reviews/image-comparison?attr18=daylight&attr13_0=fujifilm_xt3&attr13_1=sony_a7iii&attr13_2=fujifilm_xt2&attr13_3=sony_a7ii&attr15_0=raw&attr15_1=raw&attr15_2=raw&attr15_3=raw&attr16_0=3200&attr16_1=12800&attr16_2=3200&attr16_3=3200&normalization=compare&widget=1&x=0&y=0

ISO3200 on the T3 looks better than ISO6400 on the A73 imo. 
And in video, the A73 has a 1.2x crop with 30p, wo the difference gets even smaller and that's not considering options like All-I noise reduction. 

Back when I had the A73 I thought it was a great cam. Might be one of the best allrounders out there. But the T3 isn't missing out on much when it comes to image quality, while offering a lot more options when it comes to video. It's lacking IBIS though. 

I am talking about video though not RAW images. 

14 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

I am talking about video though not RAW images. 

I know, but the video data comes from raw data, so we get an idea. But with video we have to deal with different amounts of noise reduction. Even with NR off, there is still some. Take the X-T3, there is 18 different settings for noise reduction. Not as many with Sony, but there are some too (and I often felt, like it depended on the picture profile too). That's a lot of comparison one has to do and many variables to take into consideration. 

And as I said, the A73 crops in 30p, so it depends on the frame rate you compare too. 

5 hours ago, frontfocus said:

I know, but the video data comes from raw data, so we get an idea. But with video we have to deal with different amounts of noise reduction. Even with NR off, there is still some. Take the X-T3, there is 18 different settings for noise reduction. Not as many with Sony, but there are some too (and I often felt, like it depended on the picture profile too). That's a lot of comparison one has to do and many variables to take into consideration. 

And as I said, the A73 crops in 30p, so it depends on the frame rate you compare too. 

Yeah unfortunately you can't disable noise reduction completely even at -5 on the Sony at least. 

It would be interesting to see someone shoot a scene that includes a test chart, then apply NR in post to the XT3 and P4K until they match the level of detail and IQ from the A7III.  

If the A7III gives a certain resolution and noise level at some ISO but you can get the same noise level but with better resolution by applying NR in post to the other cameras then in the real-world they would beat the A7III.  

Far too many people are judging cameras like the entire post-production phase doesn't exist, when unfortunately half the image processing happens inside the camera these days.

26 minutes ago, kye said:

It would be interesting to see someone shoot a scene that includes a test chart, then apply NR in post to the XT3 and P4K until they match the level of detail and IQ from the A7III.  

If the A7III gives a certain resolution and noise level at some ISO but you can get the same noise level but with better resolution by applying NR in post to the other cameras then in the real-world they would beat the A7III.  

Far too many people are judging cameras like the entire post-production phase doesn't exist, when unfortunately half the image processing happens inside the camera these days.

I have access to all three cameras! I'll see if I can get it done. 

24 minutes ago, MeanRevert said:

Hey guys,

Just saw on Reddit that the Samsung T5 is not on the list of Recommended media for 4K DCI BRAW 3:1/60fps. 

It is listed under '4K DCI 3:1 RAW up to 60 fps' for some reason, though.

Has anyone seen any problems with theirs?

Mine works perfectly for all codecs and frame rates 

On 3/22/2019 at 7:20 AM, Anaconda_ said:

Yes, you need to use a self powered mic that has at least +10 or even better +20db on it. The Rode Videomic Pro and Pro+ have that, and a few others. Unfortunately, the VideoMicro requires plugin power, which this camera doesn't provide. You can record with it, but you'll get a very quiet signal, which you can boost / noramlize in post, but that will also bring up the noise floor. 

I've heard many people, Curtis Judd for example, aim to record at around -18db and then boost in post. So if your mic can get you around that level, according to that theory, it's fine. I would still find that quite limiting, as it's better to use a louder mic and turn the input down in camera. That way you can reduce the noise floor from the camera's preamp when you push it in post.

Alternatively, you could try running your mic into the XLR port, which is said to be 6 - 12 db louder than the 3.5mm jack.

Perhaps it's just me but I have not been able to find a 3.5mm female to mini XLR male cable. I do see 3.5mm female to XLR though. I guess I can then do an XLR to mini XLR conversion. Does no one make a straight shot conversion cable? 

There's a Mysterious new update that came out today:

What's new in Blackmagic Camera Setup 6.2.1

What's new for Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Improved stability for future software updates

No new features in 6.2.1 for other camera models.

Get it here: https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/ 

• Super Members
9 hours ago, MeanRevert said:

Perhaps it's just me but I have not been able to find a 3.5mm female to mini XLR male cable. I do see 3.5mm female to XLR though. I guess I can then do an XLR to mini XLR conversion. Does no one make a straight shot conversion cable? 

You can get a female to mini XLR male adapter here (they have mislabelled the picture in the listing).

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/20pcs-lot-KL-Mini-Xlr-Male-to-3-5mm-1-8-Mini-Female-TRS-Audio-Adapter/32544035870.html

Unfortunately the minimum order is 10 pieces but I suppose it means you would always have spare ones handy !

Pictures of the Tilta F970 Battery Baseplate fitted to the Tilta Cage. You can use the Batery Baseplate fixed directly to the bottom of the camera without the cage. It provides 7.4v and 12v outputs.

With a fully charged pattern NP 970 7800 mAh battery using the 7.4v output I am getting 1hr 35mins of continuous 4k Prores recording to the external SSD.

AH8_9874.jpg

AH8_9875.jpg