Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
15 hours ago, wyrlyn said:

Anyone. would share some original 4K/HD braw footage please to download? I would like to play with it in Resolve and Premiere until my cam arrives. I am mainly interested in high iso content but I accept everything. Thank you guys. 

here is something for you. Can't remember the setting on top of my head but you can read the metadata. Not the best clip but hope it fits the bill. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DGuG51b0oUt1nzQqNdEraskon4stiWae/view?usp=sharing

Hi all. I had something happen on a shoot the other day on one of my BMPCC4Ks. I think that I remember seeing a post about a similar behavior, but I can't find it. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I had two of my P4Ks set up on a shoot. Each camera was connected to a NP970 battery through the external power port. Each camera had an internal battery as well. Each camera showed the AC indicator on the battery, so it should have been receiving power from the external battery. Each camera was recording BRAW.

After I had been filming for a while (~45 mins?) I noticed that one of the cameras had shut off. I turned the power switch off, then back on. The camera came back on, but soon shut down again. It did this several times. To troubleshoot, I pulled the external power. The internal battery showed ~40% charge. The battery was fully charged in the beginning. I replaced the battery, then reconnected the external power. The camera came back on and ran fine. A while later (~45 mins) it turned off again. I removed the internal battery, then the camera ran fine from the external power for the duration of the shoot. So, the camera drained two batteries, while connected to external power and while showing the AC indicator on the battery meter display.

Obviously, I want to run a battery internally with the external power so that I can hot swap the external battery if needed. It seems as if the camera was running from the internal battery, then shutting down when that battery was depleted, despite being connected to external power. 

The other camera was configured exactly the same, but finished the shoot without ever turning off and with the internal battery at 100%.

Does anyone have any insights into this weird behavior?

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, drm said:

Hi all. I had something happen on a shoot the other day on one of my BMPCC4Ks. I think that I remember seeing a post about a similar behavior, but I can't find it. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I had two of my P4Ks set up on a shoot. Each camera was connected to a NP970 battery through the external power port. Each camera had an internal battery as well. Each camera showed the AC indicator on the battery, so it should have been receiving power from the external battery. Each camera was recording BRAW.

After I had been filming for a while (~45 mins?) I noticed that one of the cameras had shut off. I turned the power switch off, then back on. The camera came back on, but soon shut down again. It did this several times. To troubleshoot, I pulled the external power. The internal battery showed ~40% charge. The battery was fully charged in the beginning. I replaced the battery, then reconnected the external power. The camera came back on and ran fine. A while later (~45 mins) it turned off again. I removed the internal battery, then the camera ran fine from the external power for the duration of the shoot. So, the camera drained two batteries, while connected to external power and while showing the AC indicator on the battery meter display.

Obviously, I want to run a battery internally with the external power so that I can hot swap the external battery if needed. It seems as if the camera was running from the internal battery, then shutting down when that battery was depleted, despite being connected to external power. 

The other camera was configured exactly the same, but finished the shoot without ever turning off and with the internal battery at 100%.

Does anyone have any insights into this weird behavior?

Thanks!

I have similar issue.

From my observation,

• The BM battery came with my camera (2000mAh) ran fine with my external power rig for 2.5 hours. At this point, the battery bank cannot provide enough power any more and the camera start to drain the power from the battery. And I ran into the same issue of the camera can't turn back on again. 
  • The OEM canon battery I have (1800mAh) can't work with the external power rig at all and drain after 1hour. Which is exactly like your case. 

My work around is having a few 2000mAh LP-E6 in my bag just in case. But I would like to see if there's better solution. 

13 minutes ago, xzobinx said:

I have similar issue.

From my observation,

• The BM battery came with my camera (2000mAh) ran fine with my external power rig for 2.5 hours. At this point, the battery bank cannot provide enough power any more and the camera start to drain the power from the battery. And I ran into the same issue of the camera can't turn back on again. 
  • The OEM canon battery I have (1800mAh) can't work with the external power rig at all and drain after 1hour. Which is exactly like your case. 

My work around is having a few 2000mAh LP-E6 in my bag just in case. But I would like to see if there's better solution.

I thought that the camera should pull 100% power from the external battery / power adapter, then only pull power from the internal battery when the external battery is depleted. In my case, the camera showed the AC adapter indicator on the screen the entire time. I have several extra batteries, I just wasn't expecting it to drain the battery and die when plugged in to external power. The other camera ran fine, never turned off, and kept 100% internal battery, with the exact same setup.

Perhaps you are correct. Perhaps my external battery sled can't supply enough amps to power the camera. I will run tests with a different power sled and with AC power to see if I can replicate the problem. The camera drained so quickly that it seemed like it was only pulling power from the internal battery.

Luckily, I didn't lose any footage, despite the camera dying multiple times while recording.

1 hour ago, drm said:

I thought that the camera should pull 100% power from the external battery / power adapter, then only pull power from the internal battery when the external battery is depleted. In my case, the camera showed the AC adapter indicator on the screen the entire time. I have several extra batteries, I just wasn't expecting it to drain the battery and die when plugged in to external power. 

that was my plan but it doesn't seems to work like that. In my perfect world, the external power bank would be completely drained first. The internal battery kicked in and I'd be notified by the AC turning to percentage. Then I'd simply swap the power bank to keep the rig going. 

• Super Members

I had the same issue last week with an NP970 sled.

In my case the internal battery drained completely and the camera wouldn't power on without one in so I had to let the power bank re-charge the battery for a while before resuming.

I'll have to do a few more tests myself as well.

1 hour ago, Yannick Willox said:

after seeing the footage, I think I don't care about what is missing with the latest update...

Found rentable bmpcc4k nearby, finally going to test one shortly ...

I used BRAW exclusively on a shoot for the first time earlier this week. The footage is *very* easy to work with. I was shocked when I just opened Resolve, pulled the DCI 4K clips in, and started editing, without creating proxy files or doing anything special. It was as easy to use as pulling a Prores file into Final Cut.

Given the advantages of RAW and the small file sizes of BRAW, I suspect that we will be shooting BRAW most of the time going forward.

6 hours ago, JordanWright said:

Do NPF batteries/plates provide enough volts to power the camera through the external power port? I remember reading in the manual that it requires more than using an internal dummy battery. I would give it a check to make sure we're not missing anything. 

Screenshot 2019-03-16 at 11.06.43.png

You need a version of the NPF sled with a transformer built in to step up the voltage.

25 minutes ago, drm said:

I used BRAW exclusively on a shoot for the first time earlier this week. The footage is *very* easy to work with. I was shocked when I just opened Resolve, pulled the DCI 4K clips in, and started editing, without creating proxy files or doing anything special. It was as easy to use as pulling a Prores file into Final Cut.

Given the advantages of RAW and the small file sizes of BRAW, I suspect that we will be shooting BRAW most of the time going forward.

After testing for a couple of days, we're Q5 all the time.

Shot a film with it last week and yes, in the new Resolve, it is as fast - even faster than ProRes w/ FCPX.

I was in the field w/ a MP skimming through a twenty minute timeline, every clip w/ a LUT and a grade. It's amazingly fast.

So much so that as a small shop w/ 3 FCPX stations I really never expected to integrate resolve. After 1 week shooting braw and working with it in Resolve, I'll never shot ProRes or edit in FCPX again. A couple of producers had mentioned to me that they didn't see the "magic" from the new cam until they shot in braw and processed it in Resolve and I have to agree. It isn't just the file size and the ease of editing and grading - it's where the full potential of Gen4 and the new cam IQ comes together.

4 hours ago, Jim Giberti said:

After testing for a couple of days, we're Q5 all the time.

Shot a film with it last week and yes, in the new Resolve, it is as fast - even faster than ProRes w/ FCPX.

I was in the field w/ a MP skimming through a twenty minute timeline, every clip w/ a LUT and a grade. It's amazingly fast.

So much so that as a small shop w/ 3 FCPX stations I really never expected to integrate resolve. After 1 week shooting braw and working with it in Resolve, I'll never shot ProRes or edit in FCPX again. A couple of producers had mentioned to me that they didn't see the "magic" from the new cam until they shot in braw and processed it in Resolve and I have to agree. It isn't just the file size and the ease of editing and grading - it's where the full potential of Gen4 and the new cam IQ comes together.

I used BRAW for a big project all last week and I agree with you. No reason for Prores for me moving forward.

45 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

Q5 is the new Jack-of-all-Crafts tool, a true Swiss Army knife indeed.

In any way whatsoever, cDNG would benefit this capture device as a more powerful amphibian vehicle I'd much really love to not lose it : -)

Given what Grant said in the Blackmagic video announcing the 6.2 firmware, I seriously doubt that we will see CinemaDNG back on any BM camera. He said some fairly derogatory things about CinemaDNG during that video :)  I was very surprised that he was so candid about CinemaDNG, not that I disagree, CinemaDNG is a pain to work with...

30 minutes ago, drm said:

Given what Grant said in the Blackmagic video announcing the 6.2 firmware, I seriously doubt that we will see CinemaDNG back on any BM camera. He said some fairly derogatory things about CinemaDNG during that video :)  I was very surprised that he was so candid about CinemaDNG, not that I disagree, CinemaDNG is a pain to work with...

You have slimraw to handle it: