Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
34 minutes ago, Turboguard said:

So CB 3:1 and QB 0 are both showing 153min, same with CB 12:1 and QB 5 (611min).

But the chart on BMD's website shows different bitrates for them. I know QB is a variable bitrate so does this mean, the number for QB is only an estimate?

Yes, I believe you're right : ) I guess we have now both Q0 and Q5 as the best PRO and casual routes respectively, at least to me. 8:1 as general setting, 12:1 for other than slowmo and non demanding brightness shooting conditions, even though, I'd rather select Q5 instead then.

image.thumb.png.b27bdfa9748e2a814057b1c96d8ac501.png

source: https://ymcinema.com/2018/11/06/blackmagic-raw-braw-vs-cinema-dng-cdng-comparison-and-insights/

6 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

What’s the happy medium with space to flexibility ? I was planning on using 8:1 but kinda thinking the QB options might be better

For sure! : ) You might use 8:1 though if you'll want to keep your slowmo or shadows pretty safe.

1 minute ago, Anaconda_ said:

What’s the happy medium with space to flexibility ? I was planning on using 8:1 but kinda thinking the QB options might be better

I don’t see a reason to use CB over CQ unless you definitely want 5:1 or 8:1. You get alot of footage with CQ 0 and 5. If you shoot 1080p you wouldn’t have to dump footage for a whole day of shooting with a 1TB card. 

Well what do you know... I stand corrected. I never thought BM would give B-Raw to the P4K. This camera just got a little more intriguing to me. The fact that you can do 8:1 and 12:1 with SD cards is pretty insane.

With their releases, I wonder if a B-Raw only camera is in the pipeline at even a cheaper price point... I’d love to see a true Micro/Pocket version 2 at around $800. Hell, B-Raw 12:1 up to 48p, under $1000 and they would own the indie camera market. They don’t even need to include ProRes to save some money.

I guess they should fill the preorders before they release a new cheap camera though. 

27 minutes ago, mercer said:

Well what do you know... I stand corrected. I never thought BM would give B-Raw to the P4K. This camera just got a little more intriguing to me. The fact that you can do 8:1 and 12:1 with SD cards is pretty insane.

With their releases, I wonder if a B-Raw only camera is in the pipeline at even a cheaper price point... I’d love to see a true Micro/Pocket version 2 at around $800. Hell, B-Raw 12:1 up to 48p, under $1000 and they would own the indie camera market. They don’t even need to include ProRes to save some money.

I guess they should fill the preorders before they release a new cheap camera though. 

The full featured P4K is 300$ more, who in the right mind will get a much lesser camera for such a small amount, while the next option is 6500$ more?!

They own the indie market with the P4K, they do not have to go cheaper. I am not even sure if they even can go lower anyway.

22 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

The full featured P4K is 300$ more, who in the right mind will get a much lesser camera for such a small amount, while the next option is 6500$ more?!

They own the indie market with the P4K, they do not have to go cheaper. I am not even sure if they even can go lower anyway.

I mean I would buy another camera if the formfactor was even half the size. He speaks about micro so. That would be so much fun to bring on a day of just walking around. My husband uses the LX100-2 and I’m a little jealous of how easy he has it when we take our Sunday photography strolls and I need to carry my pocket4k sigma 18-35 combo beast. 

25 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

Well, I did say under a thousand... so $800 would be the price point.

And although the P4K is amazing for the price... they don’t own the indie camera market yet. And, and although the P4K is great, it’s still a little big for my tastes, I don’t really want to get into M4/3 at that price point and there are plenty of beginner, zero budget filmmakers that can not afford the $1300 (really $2000 when you add the peripherals) so I was just amusing... hoping that BM will consider a truer Pocket/Micro upgrade. I’m sure they won’t, but a guy can wish right. But I’d Z-Cam can have a C option at $800, I’m sure BM can come up with an ultra low budget option.

JMO.

7 minutes ago, Turboguard said:

I mean I would buy another camera if the formfactor was even half the size. He speaks about micro so. That would be so much fun to bring on a day of just walking around. My husband uses the LX100-2 and I’m a little jealous of how easy he has it when we take our Sunday photography strolls and I need to carry my pocket4k sigma 18-35 combo beast. 

Yup, basically a Micro with a tiny screen. 

I look at all of these new cameras with a very strict “vs” what I already own and what I’ll get with a new camera. And although the P4K is awesome, it really isn’t anything I need and in some ways is a step back from what I already have with a lot more headaches.

So for me, a smaller camera that I’d buy one or two native lenses and use as is with batteries and card media would be a great reason to buy a second camera. As of now the possible Z-Cam E2-C may be that camera but I’d love for there to be a BM option. 

• Super Members

With BRAW they've put a realistic possibility of an SD card only, screenless, compact version a la BMMCC should be back on the table now

I don't even think it has to be particularly dramatically cheaper than the current one either as its all about the alternative form factor.

Something less power hungry and more easily flyable on a gimbal by virtue of getting rid of that big inflexible screen would get a lot of business as both an alternative to but also as a supplemental B camera for existing owners.

Lets be brutually honest here and say that if it was 20% cheaper than the current one then you'd have TWO cameras and still be up on the deal compared to the cost of more pedestrian hybrid offerings.

Sorry for my reaction, but for us that started working at the 90's (I was really young back then, just saying!), all the things the P4K offers for the price is just something out of the 24th century!

I agree though, I do not like the form factor, batteries (Sony L/F is the obvious choice here) and the lack of ND, but I am just puzzled of how someone can offer similar performance for less. 

When all the P4K have been delivered, I am pretty positive they will own the indie market. I talked a week ago or something with the representative of the local importer, and they couldn't even give a date. They are hundred of those on pre-order here, and we are talking for a very small market.

35 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

Sorry for my reaction, but for us that started working at the 90's (I was really young back then, just saying!), all the things the P4K offers for the price is just something out of the 24th century!

I agree though, I do not like the form factor, batteries (Sony L/F is the obvious choice here) and the lack of ND, but I am just puzzled of how someone can offer similar performance for less. 

When all the P4K have been delivered, I am pretty positive they will own the indie market. I talked a week ago or something with the representative of the local importer, and they couldn't even give a date. They are hundred of those on pre-order here, and we are talking for a very small market.

Well BM already has with the OG Pocket and Micro. But you also need to remember that what makes sense to you, won’t make sense to everybody else...

I have an EF Mount Camera that shoots FF. I am so tired of adapters that the camera needs to be small and cheap for me to even mess with them or give me something that I need. Even a SB is another piece of glass I have to worry about keeping clean. I just spent 10 minutes replacing a QBM Mount Zeiss lens to EF with a Leitax adapter because I just don’t want to mess with adapters anymore.

And even though the P4K is cheap, it’s also at that price point, especially when you factor in the add ons, that I would start considering other options and features from other cameras that are more important to me than Raw... I already have a Raw camera.

And there are also plenty of younger filmmakers that just can’t afford a $1300 camera. So I can totally see a huge market for an 8:1/12:1 B-Raw and/or a ProRes 422 or even just LT camera at half the price. I’m sure there are cheaper sensors and smaller screens that BM can source and make a killing on.

And like I’ve said a hundred times... the P4K is amazing and eventually I am sure I will buy one... or at the very least, rent one.

And you aren’t kidding... I remember shooting on VHS and Super 8, so it is absolute insanity what’s available now.

1 hour ago, deezid said:

Crap.
No more Cdng. 

But at least it has ProRes with a WB and exposure slider now.
Great work BMD, just great!

You can downgrade if you want to keep CDNG. Also it’s not BMD’s fault. Enjoy!

Also Deezid, below is not aimed towards you, the forum merged my two comments.

I bet everything I own on that the first few months now we will hear how bad BRAW is from people who can’t handle a camera and shoots waves in slow motion as their “profession” on YT. Same with P4K, remember just a few months ago how tons of people completely bashed it and now people call it a marvel. Lol, I should prob get off the forums until summer is here when people are hopefully happier :)