Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

Nifty new battery sled:

It's a little expensive compared to other variations of the same thing. But the LEDs indicating how much power you have left are pretty great, 2 USBs for charging/powering other devices And the ability to charge NPF batteries on the sled all kind of make up the difference.

https://cvp.com/product/blind-spot-gear-bsg-1302-007-01-power-junkie

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, Anaconda_ said:

Nifty new battery sled:

It's a little expensive compared to other variations of the same thing. But the LEDs indicating how much power you have left are pretty great, 2 USBs for charging/powering other devices And the ability to charge NPF batteries on the sled all kind of make up the difference.

https://cvp.com/product/blind-spot-gear-bsg-1302-007-01-power-junkie

Interesting.

I am very happy with this solution from IDX though, USB, X-tap (IDX's D-tap equivalent) and battery capacity light indicators.

https://cvp.com/product/idx_sl-f50_battery

Very convenient size for my SmallHD Focus and small lights also.

Emanuel, some days ago, I've watched this video too, I was re-considering the Blackmagic Pocket, but Panasonic S1 seems more appealing. I'm waiting for NAB to make more clear considerations about all cameras. C200 has a great image but with zoom lens is about 3,5kg, it's unusable for run and gun scenarios. Blackmagic pocket has many flaws (battery, lcd is not orientable) etc...this is the reason I'm looking for a Panasonic S1.

To each its own. S1 will be a hybrid. P4K is not. But it definitely is not also that, what only a couple of detractors, haters, whoever, spread as mere FUD at the end. Well, to keep it frankly for both sides, the odd availability doesn't help at all either.

Battery is not a problem, neither LCD, much well positioned angle BTW. On the contrary, no other camera offers similar monitor(ing) quality, actually. If you'll succeed to get one.

And so on.

You use it once, you'll never want to shoot with anything else (eleven Panasonic cameras still in my inventory as of today : )

Let alone the WB setting + the most intuitive interface a camera had and you'll see what I mean. Not even need to mention RAW.

Un saluto per la bella Campania a tutti voi, I miss you all,

E : -)

Dear Emanuel, thanks for suggestions. I think RAW exceeds my needs as Canon RAW format. I've tested Prores from Blackmagic and it's very good, very fluid on my iMac Pro and you can make some good CC without problems. I wish that Panasonic would have included Prores also in S1 but the next firmware with 4:2:2 would be sufficient for me. However I'll take some decision after NAB in April! Un saluto al Portogallo, spero avrai modo di ritornare qui, nel prossimo futuro. ? This forum is very interesting! ?

On 2/21/2019 at 4:20 AM, deezid said:

hey!
Do you know if there will be any fix for the red channel going beyond gamut limits and clipping quite easily?
There are many workarounds atm (using CST with saturation mapping, gamut limiter etc) but they only really work when working with RAW footage. The issue seems to be baked into ProRes files.

Thanks

Has BMD recognized the issue?

20 hours ago, RWR said:

Has BMD recognized the issue?

They have a suggested work around. Something about changing the colour space in Resolve? Or maybe that's only for RAW. Either way, they are aware of the issue.

Speaking of issues. I was testing a battery earlier and it died while recording and to my amazement, I didn't have a corrupt file when I put the card in my computer. Does anyone know if the 6.1 update fixed that problem?

I'm hoping this wasn't a fluke, and it now saves the recording before shutting the camera down.

3 hours ago, Jim Giberti said:

If the battery quits, you lose the file - the same with the new firmware.

One of the reasons it's only worth using original Canons - better life and the only accurate readout.

What @Anaconda_ was saying, and what my experience has been as well, is that the camera does NOT corrupt the file when the battery dies. Rather, it successfully closes out the file before shutting down. 

There are two ways to deal with a power failure - either write the file continuously in such a way that if power is lost you can recover the file (or at least all of it except the last few seconds) or to monitor the power and when you're about to shut down then close the file nicely.  

Considering the issues around detecting battery levels with third-party batteries it would be great if they could just make it so that the files were all recoverable.  That way it would work when something else goes wrong, like there's a problem with the card, the camera crashes, someone disconnects the media unexpectedly, or whatever.

My first digital audio workstation, designed in 1991-92, bought in 93, was coupled to a Intel 80286 PC. When you just pulled the plug out of the PC, the audio & recording just went on&on without failure. If you pulled the plug out of the DAW itself, the files where there, intact, up to the very moment the power was pulled. Never one corrupted file. 

Now, if that was possible in 1993 ...

Sometimes I wonder in which school modern day programmers learnt their trade.

It is my understanding a RAW recording cannot get corrupted in the P4K, as it is written frame by frame. Are we talking about prores here everybody ?

3 hours ago, Anaconda_ said:

In my case, I was recording ProRes. Great that other people are experiencing the same as me. Obviously, its best to just never run out of battery, but sometimes, these things can happen.

I haven't lost recordings either. The times that the battery depleted during recording the files were alway there and working after a automatic camera shutdown.

• Super Members
4 hours ago, Yannick Willox said:

My first digital audio workstation, designed in 1991-92, bought in 93, was coupled to a Intel 80286 PC. When you just pulled the plug out of the PC, the audio & recording just went on&on without failure. If you pulled the plug out of the DAW itself, the files where there, intact, up to the very moment the power was pulled. Never one corrupted file. 

I'm going to take a wild guess and say it was a Soundscape ?

2 hours ago, dslnc said:

I haven't lost recordings either. The times that the battery depleted during recording the files were alway there and working after a automatic camera shutdown.

Same here, when battery dies randomly, I still have an intact perfect file saved when camera is turned back on. 

Also so got my Tilta cage set yesterday! Beyond happy with it, looks great, feels great!