Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

• Super Members
7 hours ago, xzobinx said:

I can't ask for more. Please take your time. If it's possible could please you shoot something with white colour? I found white subject seems to suffer the most.

OK, a bit quick and dirty but here we are.

Slightly complicated by the only non-reducing EF>MFT adapter that I have on hand being a Fotodiox Lens Throttle which always has a certain amount of ND even when set to clear which, coupled with the light advantages of the focal reducers, means a bit of an exposure modification for that one.

No big deal really as its only there for reference anyway.

I shot this so view that you would have plenty of white wall and with focus set on the wine bottles so you also get some detail into the edge of the frame with white surrounding it and some potentially glowable stuff on the fridge.

589438041_Bm4KFocalReducers.thumb.jpg.d853746e404478364d6345c52c2d9ae0.jpg

Obviously the Metabones 0.71x reduction to 0.75x of the Aputure gives a wider FOV but its also got a very slight sharpness edge.

The RAW dng files are here for you 

https://mega.nz/#!x35lUQYI!P8oS55N-z2xvfjzesoSEEsjcIPIt4e-lKGYpUdVO7jsBM4K Focal Reducers.zip

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
9 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

OK, a bit quick and dirty but here we are.

Obviously the Metabones 0.71x reduction to 0.75x of the Aputure gives a wider FOV but its also got a very slight sharpness edge.

The RAW dng files are here for you 

https://mega.nz/#!x35lUQYI!P8oS55N-z2xvfjzesoSEEsjcIPIt4e-lKGYpUdVO7jsBM4K Focal Reducers.zip

thank you so much I will have a look at the dng file when I get home. But at first glance I haven't notice any nasty glowing effect like my viltrox

• Super Members
3 minutes ago, xzobinx said:

thank you so much I will have a look at the dng file when I get home. But at first glance I haven't notice any nasty glowing effect like my viltrox

No problem.

I've never really done an A/B between the LensRegain and the Metabones as I use them for different things so it was useful for me too ;)

10 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

No problem.

I've never really done an A/B between the LensRegain and the Metabones as I use them for different things so it was useful for me too ;)

Is the Metabones noticeably sharper?

Maybe the best solution is to have all of 3 options (Regain-Metabones-dumb adapter) for various circumstances, which is a plus - for having the options and a minus - especially for people like me that detest adaptors.

I'm not sure if this test between two Prores HQ results was posted before. If yes, sorry for repeating, if no, to someone may be useful, it seems simple and balanced, there's also link to the written notes from the tester. 

www.tide.film/blackmagic-pocket-cinema-camera-4k-first-impressions-and-comparison-against-the-panasonic-gh5s/

• Super Members
3 hours ago, Kisaha said:

Is the Metabones noticeably sharper?

Maybe the best solution is to have all of 3 options (Regain-Metabones-dumb adapter) for various circumstances, which is a plus - for having the options and a minus - especially for people like me that detest adaptors.

I think its fractionally sharper but nothing to write home about.

The only problem with dumb adapters with EF lenses is that they are a bit too dumb in the sense you can't control the aperture or power the IS.

I'm not sure if there actually is any smart adapters from EF to MFT that aren't also focal reducers?

The solution would be to buy the very cheapest smart focal reducer one and take the glass out of it.

54 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

I think its fractionally sharper but nothing to write home about.

The only problem with dumb adapters with EF lenses is that they are a bit too dumb in the sense you can't control the aperture or power the IS.

I'm not sure if there actually is any smart adapters from EF to MFT that aren't also focal reducers?

The solution would be to buy the very cheapest smart focal reducer one and take the glass out of it.

the Viltrox EF-M1 is one such thing. it's a smart adapter without the focal reducer.

As per your solution, I tried to remove the focal reducer optic from my Viltrox EF-M2 once and I could not focus my 18-35 at all. The minimum focus distance seems to be pushed to really far away. I have not figured out the reason why. 

30 minutes ago, xzobinx said:

the Viltrox EF-M1 is one such thing. it's a smart adapter without the focal reducer.

As per your solution, I tried to remove the focal reducer optic from my Viltrox EF-M2 once and I could not focus my 18-35 at all. The minimum focus distance seems to be pushed to really far away. I have not figured out the reason why. 

Οκ. So one needs the Regain/Metabones/Viltrox M1. So one zoom, changing the adapters, could practically become 3 different ones.

That is not a bad option to have, considering how cheap the Regain/Viltrox adapters are. I mean, I already have bought the Regain without even having the camera yet!

I am in the market for a camera system since Samsung abandoned us. I am seriously considering my options here, and I seriously can not justify paying FS5/FS7/C200/C300/EVA/UMP money, when the Pocket offers all that I need for a portion of the cost. My only issue with all these smaller cameras is the internal ND of course, but should I pay 3 and 4 and 5 and 6 and 7 times the money for the convenience of i-ND and 1 or 2 more advantages?

With the likes of P4K/X-T3/GH5S/Z6 a dedicated video camera as a solution seems less appealing to me. The price is not justifiable anymore. The market is changing so quickly now..

Just thinking out loud now!

33 minutes ago, RWR said:

FWIW, P4k is a "dedicated video camera".

My bad, but you know what I mean.

Also, with such capable hybrids, new mount lenses with video in mind (both Canon and Nikon clearly stated that when introduced their new mounts) and the extra "bonus" of taking incredible stills, will steal a lot from the dedicated video cameras sales (we can include the P4K here also!).

It's all so dependant on your individual needs though. If I I'm handholding all day and had these choices:

4 hours ago, Kisaha said:

FS5/FS7/C200/C300/EVA/UMP

or

4 hours ago, Kisaha said:

P4K/X-T3/GH5S/Z6

I would 100% go for the bigger bodies. The servo zoom alone on the FSx can really be great in a doc style shoot, and I find putting the actual camera on my shoulder is always going to be steadier than using a rails shoulder system. Then there's the ergonomics of the bigger cameras when they're on your shoulder. A proper grip with exposure controls etc. which the smallers just don't have, so either the actual camera is a way off your shoulder, or you arm is in a very uncomfortable position. Either opens up the possibilty for less stable operation, since the pivot is on your shoulder.

With that said, I do have daily access to an UM4.6k and FS5, yet 98% of the time go with my P4k. My day to day shoot is set up on a tripod, so size is almost irrelevant. The main difference here is I can fit more lenses in the bag, to have more choices on location.

Anyway, the point is, you can't rule out certain body styles for the whole industry because your needs don't require such a big body. 

@Anaconda_ I prefer the bigger bodies, but not when they offer less recording options for a lot more money.

You can build up a smaller camera, but you can not shrink a big one!

What P4K, EZ and the hybrids brought to the table this last year, is truly exrraordinary. 

FS, C and the such cameras they have to up their game for the amount of money they ask for!

For the business I do (I am mostly a sound man in the industry), I considered a 5000€ budget for my new camera. I am in the market for one since 2018. What are my options? Should I go to 7 and 8 and 9.000, or just go under that? The logical thing to do is go under and spend the rest of the money on more lenses!

20 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Metabones and Viltrox make non focal reducer EF-MFT smart adapters. Removing the optics from a focal reducer adapter won't work as they are different thicknesses.

47 minutes ago, Shirozina said:

Metabones and Viltrox make non focal reducer EF-MFT smart adapters. Removing the optics from a focal reducer adapter won't work as they are different thicknesses.

my guess is the same. the principal is similar to how adding extension tube gives your lens marco capability. I've just bought some marco extension tube to play around with. 

• Super Members
1 hour ago, Shirozina said:

As I said, I wasn't aware that anyone made one so thanks to you and @xzobinx for the clarification.