Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

For everyone that hasn't seen a BMPCC4K freak out, I finally managed to record mine in action. The camera did this several times prior to the firmware upgrade to 6.1. I had hoped that the firmware upgrade would fix the screen glitching problem. Unfortunately, as I was setting up for a shoot the other day, the camera freaked out again with the 6.1 firmware. I managed to grab my phone and record before the camera did anything harmful, like formatting the T5 drive again.

Note that the camera was turned on and not being touched in any way when this started. You can tell when this problem is starting because it is like someone is tapping the screen to change the focus point. It will eventually open the menus and start going crazy, as you can see in this video. This happens with no apparent pattern. It has done it on the last two shoots. But, after restarting the camera, it didn't do it again, despite the camera running one of the days for 5-6 hours straight.

I spoke with BM about it yesterday and I am sending the camera in for repair tomorrow. The problem is apparently uncommon, as the BM tech support person said that he had never heard of it happening before my report. I know that someone on here commented that their camera had also had this problem. I think he said it was a bad digitizer. If your camera does this, contact BM right away.

Good luck everyone!

4 hours ago, Turboguard said:

I preordered from Tilta Dec 2nd, haven’t heard a word :(

I ordered Nov 30th so you have to be getting close!

2 hours ago, drm said:

For everyone that hasn't seen a BMPCC4K freak out, I finally managed to record mine in action. The camera did this several times prior to the firmware upgrade to 6.1. I had hoped that the firmware upgrade would fix the screen glitching problem. Unfortunately, as I was setting up for a shoot the other day, the camera freaked out again with the 6.1 firmware. I managed to grab my phone and record before the camera did anything harmful, like formatting the T5 drive again.

Note that the camera was turned on and not being touched in any way when this started. You can tell when this problem is starting because it is like someone is tapping the screen to change the focus point. It will eventually open the menus and start going crazy, as you can see in this video. This happens with no apparent pattern. It has done it on the last two shoots. But, after restarting the camera, it didn't do it again, despite the camera running one of the days for 5-6 hours straight.

I spoke with BM about it yesterday and I am sending the camera in for repair tomorrow. The problem is apparently uncommon, as the BM tech support person said that he had never heard of it happening before my report. I know that someone on here commented that their camera had also had this problem. I think he said it was a bad digitizer. If your camera does this, contact BM right away.

Good luck everyone!

Stoked I haven't experienced this! Hope they "resolve" it for you.

On 2/12/2019 at 8:09 PM, drm said:

Good luck everyone!

This happened to me back in October and they replaced my unit 3 days later. Haven’t seen it with my replacement model gladly. But that they had never seen it before is BS, my thread and video is still on the BMD forums where BMD people are responding to it.

• Super Members
9 hours ago, xzobinx said:

Has any one here tried out the lens regain from aputure? Could someone please share their experiences? I saw a coupe youtube video about it but still want some real world opinion with bmpcc4k

It is no different with the P4K as it is with other MFT mount cameras so in terms of quality and performance whatever videos you've seen with other cameras will apply really.

Things to be aware of are that all lens control is done from the adapter so the aperture wheel on the camera will have no effect and the current aperture will not show up on screen. This will have an impact if you use the Auto Exposure function (which is no big deal really) but more importantly you must remember to have some charge in the interface otherwise you will have no aperture control.  If you are just going to use it as a dumb focal reducer to manual lenses via additional adapters then of course that isn't an issue.

The other aspect to be aware of is that its is only 0.75x reduction which, whilst a bit of a downer on other MFT cameras, actually works to your advantage with the P4K as it means the Sigma 18-35mm for instance will not vignette as it can do with adapters with a greater reduction.

Ultimately though, if you want to be able to have any electronic focus control of an EF lens on a P4K (even leaving aside the very nice A/B controller interface stuff) then until/if Blackmagic make changes to enable it on the other smart adapters then the Lens Regain is the only game in town. 

For $199 (I note B&H now have them in stock) then its a bit of a steal in my opinion.

50 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

It is no different with the P4K as it is with other MFT mount cameras so in terms of quality and performance whatever videos you've seen with other cameras will apply really.

Things to be aware of are that all lens control is done from the adapter so the aperture wheel on the camera will have no effect and the current aperture will not show up on screen. This will have an impact if you use the Auto Exposure function (which is no big deal really) but more importantly you must remember to have some charge in the interface otherwise you will have no aperture control.  If you are just going to use it as a dumb focal reducer to manual lenses via additional adapters then of course that isn't an issue.

The other aspect to be aware of is that its is only 0.75x reduction which, whilst a bit of a downer on other MFT cameras, actually works to your advantage with the P4K as it means the Sigma 18-35mm for instance will not vignette as it can do with adapters with a greater reduction.

Ultimately though, if you want to be able to have any electronic focus control of an EF lens on a P4K (even leaving aside the very nice A/B controller interface stuff) then until/if Blackmagic make changes to enable it on the other smart adapters then the Lens Regain is the only game in town. 

For $199 (I note B&H now have them in stock) then its a bit of a steal in my opinion.

I'm more concerned about the glowing effect when wide open than everything else. I have viltrox atm and while I hardly use anything below 2.0, having extra stop of light never hurts

• Super Members
8 minutes ago, xzobinx said:

I'm more concerned about the glowing effect when wide open than everything else. I have viltrox atm and while I hardly use anything below 2.0, having extra stop of light never hurts

I can do you an A/B/C grab with a dumb adapter, a Metabones Ultra and the LensRegain on the 18-35mm wide open but you'll have to give me a couple of hours

1 minute ago, BTM_Pix said:

I can do you an A/B/C dng with a dumb adapter, a Metabones Ultra and the LensRegain on the 18-35mm wide open but you'll have to give me a couple of hours

I can't ask for more. Please take your time. If it's possible could please you shoot something with white colour? I found white subject seems to suffer the most.