Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
15 hours ago, xzobinx said:

I managed to do that with my 32gb card lying around 

That’s really good news. What’s the highest frame rate you can get with them. Ever since I started shooting with a camera that requires CF cards, I have a dozen SanDisk 95mb Pro cards sitting around. It will be great to get some use out of them if I ever decide I want to pick up a P4K.

13 hours ago, drm said:

LOL...I had the *exact* same thoughts. I have the 1TB T5 drives on all three of my P4Ks. I am going to grab my V30 and V60 SD cards tomorrow and see if I can get Prores 422 to work with them. That would be a great backup. I thought that I remembered the charts saying I needed V90 cards to save 422 (which I don't have...).

Let us know how it works out.

9 hours ago, Ehetyz said:

Can't say about Sandisk but I have a Lexar professional 1000x 64 gig SD card as a backup/overflow card in mine. It can't do high frame rates but it works as sort of a safety buffer if the CF card runs out mid-shot. I think it might cut out eventually on 25fps at some point though.

Also to join the choir with Jim Giberti, the prores HQ is extremely good. Gives you plenty of data to work with.

Good to know, thanks. I was actually fairly impressed with some of the LT I have seen from the P4K, so even if I was forced to shoot slow motion in LT with the SD cards, it makes the camera an easier pill to swallow for me.

2 hours ago, MurtlandPhoto said:

Yepp! I do it all the time.

Good to know, thanks. I guess I vaguely remember reading about that when the P4K was announced but that seems like a lifetime ago.

As a whole, do you feel the camera was worth the wait? And how barebones is your set up?

8 minutes ago, mercer said:

Good to know, thanks. I guess I vaguely remember reading about that when the P4K was announced but that seems like a lifetime ago.

As a whole, do you feel the camera was worth the wait? And how barebones is your set up?

I was very fortunate to be one of the first in the U.S. to get one so I can't really say if it was worth the wait. I can say that it is an absolutely wonderful camera to work with. The image is spectacular at basically any setting, even ProRes LT. The interface is very intuitive and the combination of touchscreen and physical controls feels just right. 

I keep mine pretty built up actually. This was always going to be my "cinema" camera. I use several GH bodies for my photo/video work; they typically stay stripped down. I feel this camera needs a little help to reach the level of usability I need. At the most stripped down, I keep it in the SmallRig full cage with the Metabones XL bolted on and a tripod plate attached.

4 hours ago, MurtlandPhoto said:

Yepp! I do it all the time.

Good news / Bad news... I just tested a couple of my SD cards in the P4K on Prores 422 recordings.

Good: The Sandisk Extreme Pro 128GB SD card (95MB/s) recorded a Prores 422 video at Ultra HD for the entire card without dropping frames or stopping.

Bad: The Lexar 1000X 256GB (150MB/s) card recorded a 154GB file for 34:25, then stopped recording with ~22 mins left on the card. 

I formatted each card to the Mac setting in the camera before recording. I have a couple of V60 SD cards, that will likely work better. When I get a chance to test those cards, I will post an update.

Here's what we use in ours and how, so it's all I can attest to but I can attest that they work perfectly.

Everything we produce is for TV or web. We shoot everything in UHD and edit and output in 1080P for distribution.

When the first camera arrived we stuck this SanDisk card in that we had several of from our old Pockets - https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1282965-REG/sandisk_sdsdxxg_064g_gn4in_extremepro_sdhc_64gb.html?sts=pi

We've shot with them exclusively for a few months - terrabytes worth of footage - without issue.

You'll get 11 minutes of ProRes HQ UHD 24P per card for about $20 each.

Now go and have fun :)

3 hours ago, xzobinx said:

the same that I used only different capacity. This is one thing I don't understand why people keep complaining about how expensive media this camera use. You can use dirt cheap card or cheap ssd. why the hate?

I have C-Fast and V90 cards but I find it easier  just to plug in a 1TB SSD . This is an often overlooked factor when comparing it say to the GH5s which needs V60 and probably to be sure V90 which adds a considerable cost to the camera. 

1 hour ago, Shirozina said:

I have C-Fast and V90 cards but I find it easier  just to plug in a 1TB SSD . This is an often overlooked factor when comparing it say to the GH5s which needs V60 and probably to be sure V90 which adds a considerable cost to the camera. 

And for people that run it as a studio camera, they could even just plug it into a large cheap HDD, assuming that it could handle the bitrate.  That would make the setup cheaper again.

All new cameras should have a USB port as a media option :)

On the subject of Sandisk 95mb/s, BMD have this to say:

Please note that we have discovered an issue with the newer revision of the Sandisk Extreme Pro UHS-I SDXC 95 MB/s cards that begin with the product prefix SDSDXXG. 

These cards do not work with the following products:

1. Pocket Cinema Camera 
2. Micro Cinema Camera 
3. Video Assist
4. Video Assist 4K

We believe that these new cards have the V30 rating on them.

Currently, only Sandisk Extreme Pro UHS-I SDXC 95 MB/s cards that begin with the product prefix SDSDXP are compatible.

https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=83050

18 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

On the subject of Sandisk 95mb/s, BMD have this to say:

Please note that we have discovered an issue with the newer revision of the Sandisk Extreme Pro UHS-I SDXC 95 MB/s cards that begin with the product prefix SDSDXXG. 

These cards do not work with the following products:

1. Pocket Cinema Camera 
2. Micro Cinema Camera 
3. Video Assist
4. Video Assist 4K

We believe that these new cards have the V30 rating on them.

Currently, only Sandisk Extreme Pro UHS-I SDXC 95 MB/s cards that begin with the product prefix SDSDXP are compatible.

https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=83050

These are older BMD products, they work fine with P4K.

I do believe that the samsung T5 issues only isolated to the 500gb or 250 gb models. I have 1Tb and 2Tb versions and never have any problems connecting. The 500 gb I tested on the other hand did established some trouble connecting pre FW6.1 

As we are all aware even in the same line of media the higher capacity normally have higher spec. I suspect this unreliable ssd connection issue coming from the fact that BM should have quoted the specific model in their list instead of the whole line up. 

4 hours ago, xzobinx said:

I do believe that the samsung T5 issues only isolated to the 500gb or 250 gb models. I have 1Tb and 2Tb versions and never have any problems connecting. The 500 gb I tested on the other hand did established some trouble connecting pre FW6.1 

As we are all aware even in the same line of media the higher capacity normally have higher spec. I suspect this unreliable ssd connection issue coming from the fact that BM should have quoted the specific model in their list instead of the whole line up. 

Have 1TB and 500GB and haven’t had issues at all. I received my P4K in September.