Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
5 hours ago, Jonesy Jones said:

I can speak for only the US, but they are delivering in less than a month for sure. I've purchased 3, multiple vendors. There are thousands in circulation for certain. 

The post above from Finland is a real bummer. But here in the US you can get one if you just order and wait a couple weeks. 

You are getting our cameras, shame on you, sir!

Our weather is crappy through until about Wednesday so I'll start doing some outdoor shots first since they are the easiest. I'll shoot each in succession and pay attention to shooting things that don't have a ton of change from minute to minute. All on 24-70, and closely match focal length. I'll match the f stops and shoot all with and without IR Cut.

17 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Well there must be a hell of a lot of people in that same boat, because hardly anyone seems to be able to buy one. A real Jackass rollout. ?

I ordered 3 the day after the announcement. I was around #20 on their list. It took me until late October / early November to get mine.

By the way, on the battery front. I shot yesterday from ~10:30am until about 5:00pm on one battery and had about 75% charge left. With a good v-mount battery, there are no power concerns ;)

It's possible to put a dummy battery trough this monitor with npf? 

http://www.swit.cc/productshow.aspx?id=320

The output voltage is the same of the battery mounted.... So 7,2 volt if I use this:

https://www.amazon.it/CCD-TR200-CCD-TR215-CCD-TR300-CCD-TR3000-CCD-TR3300/dp/B00V87YDKC/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?__mk_it_IT=ÅMÅZÕÑ&qid=1549051646&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=patona+npf990&dpPl=1&dpID=41mChpby16L&ref=plSrch

Any risk? 

I haven't my pocket yet (put my order the 4th November and still waiting :(

With 10400 mAh how many hours the bmpcc4k can shoots? 

5 hours ago, graphicnatured said:

Our weather is crappy through until about Wednesday so I'll start doing some outdoor shots first since they are the easiest. I'll shoot each in succession and pay attention to shooting things that don't have a ton of change from minute to minute. All on 24-70, and closely match focal length. I'll match the f stops and shoot all with and without IR Cut.

Great stuff!

I'll make a new thread so we stop clogging up this one :)

Edit: done.

On 1/31/2019 at 6:38 PM, BopBill said:

I pre-ordered about 23 of August and still waiting. This is in Finland. 

I had mine out in Lapland filming aurora last night (-25) and it performed superbly. Was shooting 6/25 so approx 4x speed. I’ll try real time possibly this evening. I might have knocked the cable but the recording switched from SSD to cFast which is something I need to check.

Once it arrives you’ll enjoy it!

19 minutes ago, Snowfun said:

I had mine out in Lapland filming aurora last night (-25) and it performed superbly. Was shooting 6/25 so approx 4x speed. I’ll try real time possibly this evening. I might have knocked the cable but the recording switched from SSD to cFast which is something I need to check.

So it performs in cold too, display too but must have been quite slow.

Yeah. I have bought Ronin-S with DJI's focus motor and some lenses. They are waiting for the P4K.

3 hours ago, Snowfun said:

Inform us if the recording switching succeeded when you can,please.

Lapland should be great!

On 2/1/2019 at 3:15 PM, jack86 said:

With 10400 mAh how many hours the bmpcc4k can shoots? 

@jack86 My Wasabi LP-E6 batteries are 7.2V,  2600mAh = 18.7Wh. With that battery, I get from 30-45 mins of runtime. My Sony NP-F970 batteries are 7.4V, 6600mAh = 48.84Wh. So, if you are using a dummy battery with the Sony NP-F970, I would expect to get from 80 mins to 2 hours of runtime. 

I suggest that you do *not* use a dummy battery. Put a normal battery in the camera. From your external battery, run an adapter cable to the 2 pin power connector on the side of the BMPCC4K camera. This way, your camera will keep running while you swap batteries. When you remove your external power, the camera seamlessly switches to internal power. This will allow you to run all day.

This is actually one of my pet peeves about my GH5's and GH5S cameras. I run them with battery grips. If you remove the battery from the battery grip before the camera has switched to the internal battery, the camera will reboot. I have caused a camera to reboot from this numerous times on a shoot. Even worse, is you know that you will need to swap the handgrip battery soon, then forget to do it :( 

You can get Sony NP battery plates that output 12V. Then, you just need to get the cable to adapt to the BMPCC4K power input.

46 minutes ago, thephoenix said:

That is an interesting video.  

And when I say interesting, I mean interesting because it's so boring.

And when I say boring, I mean his findings, not the video itself.

And when I say his findings are boring, it's because when he compares the two, he finds that both have pros and cons, like we'd expect, the BM has less features, the RED costs both legs and a kidney.

Possibly the biggest point of commentary in the video was that when he took the BM to the teachers protests in the rain, he said that he didn't take the RED because it's just not practical.  I'm watching that section and just thinking "of course you've taken the BM, there's no way you'd take the RED out handheld in the rain".  

6 hours ago, drm said:

@jack86 My Wasabi LP-E6 batteries are 7.2V,  2600mAh = 18.7Wh. With that battery, I get from 30-45 mins of runtime. My Sony NP-F970 batteries are 7.4V, 6600mAh = 48.84Wh. So, if you are using a dummy battery with the Sony NP-F970, I would expect to get from 80 mins to 2 hours of runtime. 

I suggest that you do *not* use a dummy battery. Put a normal battery in the camera. From your external battery, run an adapter cable to the 2 pin power connector on the side of the BMPCC4K camera. This way, your camera will keep running while you swap batteries. When you remove your external power, the camera seamlessly switches to internal power. This will allow you to run all day.

This is actually one of my pet peeves about my GH5's and GH5S cameras. I run them with battery grips. If you remove the battery from the battery grip before the camera has switched to the internal battery, the camera will reboot. I have caused a camera to reboot from this numerous times on a shoot. Even worse, is you know that you will need to swap the handgrip battery soon, then forget to do it :( 

You can get Sony NP battery plates that output 12V. Then, you just need to get the cable to adapt to the BMPCC4K power input.

Thank you.. Very useful! 

58 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Which you'd expect. Would be interesting to compare it with an Xt3 and A73 maybe

That's the test where the A73 (wax skin above ISO1600) and especially X-T3 (wax skin in daylight even) would look bad in comparison. Especially when the P4K is set to Raw recording and sharpening set to 0 and highlight recovery turned on in Resolve.

Tried the X-T3 and even though noise reduction is set to -4 (min) and interframe nr is off, there's no texture left on skin. The temporal filtering cannot be turned off.

22 minutes ago, deezid said:

That's the test where the A73 (wax skin above ISO1600) and especially X-T3 (wax skin in daylight even) would look bad in comparison. Especially when the P4K is set to Raw recording and sharpening set to 0 and highlight recovery turned on in Resolve.

Tried the X-T3 and even though noise reduction is set to -4 (min) and interframe nr is off, there's no texture left on skin. The temporal filtering cannot be turned off.

This topic intrigues me. One of the reasons I switched to Raw was due to the texture of skin, tree bark, etc...

With that being said, have you tested an external recorder with the X-T3? I realize that theoretically it shouldn’t matter but  better bitrate and less compression of ProRes could help... especially since I didn’t notice the waxy skin with the professional short films that Fuji released. Have you tried using Midtone Detail to combat it? The X-T3 is on my short list as a hybrid but this waxy skin issue is a cause for concern. 

In the end though, if you’re shooting narratives, you’re better off shooting Raw at this level anyway and shooting with a dedicated cinema camera. I love that Hollywood are starting to use hybrid cameras like the a7sii to shoot The Possession of Hannah Grace but they have the budget to counteract the pitfalls that is non existent in no budget features. 

I liked what you did with your GH5 feature, how was the skin texture with that camera in post? I know Zak Forsman is shooting BTS footage for Hollywood films with a GH5s, so I assume that camera is pretty clean.