Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

My understanding is that ProRes on the black magic pocket 4K  has the sensor debayering of B-RAW already, so if you nail exposure and white balance in the camera Pro Res is great and probably very similar to what you will get with B-RAW if little color grading is required.  For those who would like to work with 12 bit files,  all be it compressed, would benefit from B-RAW.  Once B-RAW is available, if the files sizes are similar to ProRes, then I think most will think they “need” B- RAW when available, but we shall see.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

.braw will be invaluable because it gives RAW flexibility at prores file sizes. It also seems to create more organic detail than RAW, perhaps close to prores? I "want" it.

12 hours ago, AlexTrinder96 said:

By DAVE HILL

Same guy shot this one. I'd seen this and really enjoyed it. I think the newer one has a more Kodak grade which I love. They're both great. I'm also a massive fan of the Southwest and desert. I'd shoot every single frame there if I had my way.

9 hours ago, majoraxis said:

My understanding is that ProRes on the black magic pocket 4K  has the sensor debayering of B-RAW already, so if you nail exposure and white balance in the camera Pro Res is great and probably very similar to what you will get with B-RAW if little color grading is required.  For those who would like to work with 12 bit files,  all be it compressed, would benefit from B-RAW.  Once B-RAW is available, if the files sizes are similar to ProRes, then I think most will think they “need” B- RAW when available, but we shall see.

Philip Bloom released a prores file he shot and I played with it, and you could really push that file around.

182774307_PBBMPCC4Ktestfootagehighlights_1.1.5.thumb.jpg.b9067923edf4e9a57ff10dfa3dec9726.jpg1289784904_PBBMPCC4Ktestfootagenormalised_1.1.2.thumb.jpg.92aaad370bec77424d0d62f410c13c55.jpg1329498910_PBBMPCC4Ktestfootageshadows_1.1.3.thumb.jpg.d9487cd956c188ada9767d803df69f0c.jpg

Am I right in thinking that was 10-bit?  If so, 12-bit would be absolutely spectacular!

Changing ISO on the P4K in ProRes just ramps up the log curve in the middle so midtones and shadows get boosted and the highlights get compressed. If you want lots of light tones in a high key scene and not much shadow detail drop the ISO right down and if you want lots of shadow detail and compressed highlights in a low key scene ramp the ISO up (withing the 2 ranges) Even with 10bit I wouldn't want to try to do the reverse in post for optimal results. BM say the 400/3200 are 'native' which means they are a good compromise for most scenes. 

3 hours ago, Jonesy Jones said:

.braw will be invaluable because it gives RAW flexibility at prores file sizes. It also seems to create more organic detail than RAW, perhaps close to prores? I "want" it.

Same guy shot this one. I'd seen this and really enjoyed it. I think the newer one has a more Kodak grade which I love. They're both great. I'm also a massive fan of the Southwest and desert. I'd shoot every single frame there if I had my way.

Very nice! Makes me want to rewatch Breaking Bad haha!

On 1/23/2019 at 3:35 PM, kye said:

Now THAT is how to shoot a camera test!!

Bravo!

yes that is so poignant and true, not to mention hilarious on so many levels ( one can only hope that someone from bm sees this and perhaps gets galvanized into action) that's definitely  most interesting and inventive take on a camera release, someone should probably post that in the sony fanboys thread, i'm sure they would react with total awe

edit : im eagerly waiting for the letter part 3 the unboxing

On 1/23/2019 at 6:37 PM, AlexTrinder96 said:

This film was posted on the P4k FB group earlier. WOW.

By DAVE HILL

https://vimeo.com/304999893?fbclid=IwAR2eii51lO2jPHV0mQj1JmhplQRhKhp0YYaO_FHc2jEpYXe8KicJKm53PYo

wow_1.1.3.thumb.jpg.be29b1f419fb45c16f2cb41ea55fa56b.jpg

wow_1.1.2.thumb.jpg.389b0d31d4eae065fb606a0448fae7c3.jpgwow_1.1.1.thumb.jpg.1fbb0f785936c8160a9791e5864e8493.jpg

I'm so glad this amazing film was done with native lenses. I'm so bored with people perpetuating the lie that a speed booster is required equipment with m43, as opposed to just another tool in the tool box.

57 minutes ago, billdoubleu said:

I'm so glad this amazing film was done with native lenses. I'm so bored with people perpetuating the lie that a speed booster is required equipment with m43, as opposed to just another tool in the tool box.

Hang out on these forums more often...  People here use native lenses, speed-boosters, non-speed-booster adapters, vintage stills lenses, vintage cinema lenses, and even free-lensing of lenses! I don't remember anyone using non-camera lenses like projector or enlarger lenses, but someone probably has..

Welcome!

Personally, my m43 kit has both native and vintage lenses in it.  I do own a m42 to m43 0.7x focal reducer which I might use with a ~50mm to fill in the 80-100mm equivalent spot in my kit, but I might end up just using a 35-50mm lens without a focal reducer and therefore not end up using it at all.

The crop factor makes it a spectacular choice for longer zooms too, for sports or for wildlife.  A 135/150/200mm vintage FF lens will set you back less than dinner and a movie, and combined with a $10 dumb-adapter you get a fast, high quality and solidly built manual telephoto lens, plus because you're cropping into the lens with the sensor size you don't get all the CA and soft-focus of the corners of those lenses so they're even better than when they were new!

1 hour ago, kye said:

Hang out on these forums more often...  People here use native lenses, speed-boosters, non-speed-booster adapters, vintage stills lenses, vintage cinema lenses, and even free-lensing of lenses! I don't remember anyone using non-camera lenses like projector or enlarger lenses, but someone probably has..

Welcome!

Personally, my m43 kit has both native and vintage lenses in it.  I do own a m42 to m43 0.7x focal reducer which I might use with a ~50mm to fill in the 80-100mm equivalent spot in my kit, but I might end up just using a 35-50mm lens without a focal reducer and therefore not end up using it at all.

The crop factor makes it a spectacular choice for longer zooms too, for sports or for wildlife.  A 135/150/200mm vintage FF lens will set you back less than dinner and a movie, and combined with a $10 dumb-adapter you get a fast, high quality and solidly built manual telephoto lens, plus because you're cropping into the lens with the sensor size you don't get all the CA and soft-focus of the corners of those lenses so they're even better than when they were new!

odd that you mention that just now.... i just bought an el nikor 63mm enlarger lens. been waiting for one of these to turn up at a reasonable price for awhile now. i guess my lens addiction is off to a good start this year?

4 hours ago, leslie said:

odd that you mention that just now.... i just bought an el nikor 63mm enlarger lens. been waiting for one of these to turn up at a reasonable price for awhile now. i guess my lens addiction is off to a good start this year?

Nice!

There are some interesting projector lenses around, but the lack of a standard mount or adapters means they're a little too out-there for me, at least at the moment.  Plus them having no ability to stop down does limit their use in a creative sense.  Still, considering that adapting FF vintage lenses seems pretty mainstream now, they're probably where the real bargains are :)

As much as I love the IBIS on my GH5, I will say that recording prores internally would be lovely.  I'm rendering proxies for a three week trip and 350Gb of footage, it's done about a quarter and has been going for a couple of hours now and it says it has about 7 hours left..  that's an hour more than when I started!!

4K Prores Proxy has broadly similar bitrate to 4K 150Mbps or 5K 200Mbps footage and both are 10-bit!  

That person who shot that video in Prores Proxy (or was it LT?) had the right idea :)