Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

10 hours ago, Jim Giberti said:

Have you picked up a set of handles for the Zhiyun?

They work really well...make it a much more balanced gimbal to work with.

I can confirm. The handles make it less taxing carrying the Crane for extended hours, plus you can mount an external monitor if you want to

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Unrelated, but I didn’t want to start a whole new topic. 

I’ve just been given the opportunity to pick up an EF Ursa Mini 4.6k (not pro) for €2500 - I was going to buy another pocket once they’re more available, but is this a better idea?

Pick up is tomorrow if I want it. 

4.6K has worse low light (usable range maxes out at 800ISO) and is heavier (translates to requiring heavier rigs and tripods) but OTOH it also has hugely better ergonomics (you can actually shoot handheld/shouldered like an ENG camera), better sensor in many ways (bigger, higher res for oversampling, more DR, better color) more codec choices, better connections for broadcast shooting etc. You can actually use the onboard sound recording as well - if you have quality mics. Been working with one for two years now and while I love the Pocket 4K, Ursa is still the big brother, and Pocket the B-cam.

1 hour ago, Anaconda_ said:

Unrelated, but I didn’t want to start a whole new topic. 

I’ve just been given the opportunity to pick up an EF Ursa Mini 4.6k (not pro) for €2500 - I was going to buy another pocket once they’re more available, but is this a better idea?

Pick up is tomorrow if I want it. 

That is a really good price for it. Pretty hard to turn down a Cine body style unless you need stealth.

On 12/31/2018 at 12:11 AM, Ehetyz said:

Pairing the Pocket 4K with some good vintage glass is pretty blissful. There's been a lot of talk about how it looks more digital and modern than the previous BMD cameras - and yeah sure, I guess it's not as organic and grainy as the 2,5K. But throw on some c-mount glass or a speedbooster and old Pentax stuff and the camera sings. Haven't used it with this kind of setup on a production yet, (it's playing second fiddle to the Ursa Mini and been on a gimbal on about half a dozen shoots now) but I'm just having a lot of fun taking it on a walk and just taking some throwaway nature shots. It's something I used to do back when I used the 5DMK2 regularly, and I'm happy it has revitalized that habit again.

pocket_1_72.1.thumb.jpg.0437de0e01a20850a7f3530bb23e2189.jpg

This was taken with the speedbooster and a Pentax 35/2.3 M42 lens on a cool winter afternoon. One of my favourites due to the very distinctive, oil painting-kinda way it renders out of focus areas and the transition between them and in-focus areas.

Nice looking image.  I'm doing the same thing with my GH5 and adapting lenses - using the GH5 10-bit mode to get the colour depth (not quite like RAW, but better than 8-bit) and the lenses to render the scene in a non-clinical way.  I've got a couple of Helios lenses, and I have both SB and non-SB adapters for it.

One thing to note is that modern lenses can be used as "semi-vintage" lenses too, if you use them wide-open or completely stopped-down, as this will normally soften the image significantly and is one of the things that people like about some vintage lenses.  You can also 'cheat' a bit with them and use a bokeh modifier on the front of the lens to change the shape of the bokeh from the normal shape to something a bit more interesting.  I suspect that if you have a 3D rather than 2D bokeh modifier then you can get different shaped bokeh in different parts of the frame, the way vintage lenses do, but I'll have to test this.  It depends on what you're interested in.

@Mr. Freeze @webrunner5 @Ehetyz

Thanks for the advise, but upon further reflection, I'm going to pass on that deal. My main gripe is I can't see any buttons to adjust settings, and touch screens drive me nuts. All the settings Pocket can be changed with physical buttons, but I can't see any switches for ISO and iris on the Ursa Mini. Only menu shortcuts - please correct me if I'm wrong though.

I think if anything, my best course of action is keep the €2500, sell my LS300 and put that money towards the Ursa Mini Pro, which does have physical buttons. 

After flip flopping about buying it for myself and my freelance work, i   spoke to someone at the production house I work at very regularly, and they bought it through the company. 

Best of both worlds I guess ?

I'm taking it home this weekend to get it set up for them.

1 minute ago, Anaconda_ said:

After flip flopping about buying it for myself and my freelance work, i   spoke to someone at the production house I work at very regularly, and they bought it through the company. 

Best of both worlds indeed ?

1 hour ago, Anaconda_ said:

Good for you. It is going to be the opposite with me.

One of the production companies I work for have JVC-LS300 and GH5 cameras, and I am getting the Pocket (maybe, haven't ordered it yet!).

It is so cheap that there is no excuse for not having one, really. I already have all I need, except the cage and the F battery adapter anyway. I even have mini XLR cables!

You can keep your JVC for almost everything and still buy a Pocket for raw and other experiments. They are both m43 anyway, and probably both need a monitor.

There are indeed users of the previous micro and pocket cameras that don't like the look of the new P4K since they say that it looks too digital. I have a coworker who keeps on debating with another coworker (who bought a P4K) about the look and 'cadence' of the old Blackmagic cameras. They both produce good footages but at the end of the day, they agree that content still matters.