Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I don't think PK4 will ever have the same look as the original good or bad. Lots of cameras are unique, and not easily reproduced. C100, Sony F3, BMPCC on and on. I am not super impressed with the PK4 footage I have seen yet. Yes it is good, but I still think it is not what most people expected, me included. I have no desire yet to buy one..

44 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

I don't think PK4 will ever have the same look as the original good or bad. Lots of cameras are unique, and not easily reproduced. C100, Sony F3, BMPCC on and on. I am not super impressed with the PK4 footage I have seen yet. Yes it is good, but I still think it is not what most people expected, me included. I have no desire yet to buy one..

What were you expecting?

3 hours ago, Newway12 said:

What were you expecting?

Hmm that is hard to describe. I was expecting a better BMPCC I guess. Better LCD, better batter life, maybe continuous AF. It to me, the PK4 is sort of half way between the original and a GH5s output wise. A bit too sharp, not as thick, or old timey looking. I guess I was looking for a cross between a newer original one and a Digital Bolex for a cheap price. They sure did the price right that is for sure.  It is just not creamy looking like the older BMD cameras. More of a modern look to it. And that is for most people probably a good thing.

My biggest beef is that it still is a camera body that you need to rig the hell out of it, just like the original one, to really make it work. It is not a C100 where you can just turn it on and go right out of the box. When you add a cage to a body they Always end up making it harder to get to stuff. It doesn't fit your hand smoothly anymore. It is no longer a part of you, it is a lump of metal with tons of holes in it, stuff hanging everywhere.

But for the money it is a gift from the gods for what it really is capable of. So I am sure I will snag one down the road for a good price. Really nothing to take it;s place. I am not really at this point in a position to buy anything right now. So just looking as they say now, and seeing what you guys that have them come up with. That is the proof.

• Super Members

There is no question that the Sigma 50-100mm lens is a superb lens.

I would definitely recommend that you tried it with the camera first though to see if it is practical for the way you will be working.

It weighs roughly the same as a Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 at around 1.5kg (or for context the combined weight of all three of your Rokinon lenses) which makes it a bit of a lump if you are thinking of hand holding.

As neither it nor the camera have any image stabilisation this is also a big drawback in that regard.

Currently (and possibly forever) the Pocket 4K has no focus control of adapted lenses so this is another drawback.

As I say it is a fine lens and unique as an f1.8 zoom that on another MFT camera like a GH5 which has IBIS and focus control of adapted lenses is easy to recommend. 

With the Pocket4K having neither of those features though, it would be a bit more of a cautionary note to evaluate how you will be using it.

If you are using it on a tripod or well balanced shoulder rig then it will be great if you are OK with its shortish throw manual focus. If you can get hold of an Aputure DEC focus controller (either the focal reducer or electronic ND version) then even better .

For handheld though, I think it might be a struggle.

Well for one thing the grade is pretty bad, and a ND filter is not suppose to change colors at all if it is worth a crap. All it is going to do is let you use a slower shutter speed, or for photo a different aperture for DoF. It should not really help or hurt the grade at all. Now cheap ones tend to shift colors and that is Not what you want. ND filters for video are so you can help keep your 180 degree shutter rule mostly