Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 12/1/2018 at 2:44 AM, webrunner5 said:

Pretty good video on PK4 cages.

that was quite informative, although i nearly had  a heart attack at  the start ? . it nice to see that the venting on the bottom is open. some naysayers were all over that vent as a major issue at the start. glad to see its not an issue at all. i did like the first one the most, however i would have to find some longer bits of plastic or metal to slide in and clamp those cables in place. personally for me,thats probably the weakness of all those cages insecure cable attachment.

On 12/1/2018 at 1:44 AM, webrunner5 said:

Pretty good video on PK4 cages.

Personally I'm looking at the Tilta cage for when I'm able to pick up a Pocket 4K sometime next year (decided to go with this instead of a used A7s or saving up for a Nikon Z6), but the CAME-TV cage looks pretty sweet too. 

This camera is such a game changer for the low budget indie filmmaker community.

4 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Wow these things all look big and clunky, and a pain in the ass LoL. Not my cup of tea.

probably couldn't be made much smaller, laws of physics n all.  these cameras aren't the same size as a gopro on a selfie stick. i thought it did well to balance with camera and the sigma lens without burning out a motor. i expect one of these will probably wear you out rather quickly  same as dslr on a steadicam.

Well I am sure on average most people won't be spending literally all day using their camera on a Gimbal. So yeah even on the heavy side is not terrible for shorts takes. It is the every time you use it thing, every time you re pick it up you are going to have to tweak it. That is my bitch with Gimbals I don't care if they are on a iPhone.

Now something like the new Osmo Pocket you won't have to do anything I guess That would be nice. This stuff is not so bad if you have a crew. Each person has a job to do. If you are a one man band it gets old F ing with all this stuff to get 2 minutes footage for a B Roll. That is what pisses me off with a Gimbal or even a Glidecam..

40 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Well I am sure on average most people won't be spending literally all day using their camera on a Gimbal. So yeah even on the heavy side is not terrible for shorts takes. It is the every time you use it thing, every time you re pick it up you are going to have to tweak it. That is my bitch with Gimbals I don't care if they are on a iPhone.

Now something like the new Osmo Pocket you won't have to do anything I guess That would be nice. This stuff is not so bad if you have a crew. Each person has a job to do. If you are a one man band it gets old F ing with all this stuff to get 2 minutes footage for a B Roll. That is what pisses me off with a Gimbal or even a Glidecam..

Actually realized that even using a light gimbal like the Crane plus, it takes a toll on the arms using it all day. Just went on a tour while carrying a gimbal and I tried shooting with it the whole trip and it affected how I shoot at the end of the day. I did put it down from time to time but there were a lot to see and by the end of the tour, I wished I just went handheld.

3 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Thankfully that’s a predicament that’s somewhat manageable to handle for narrative filmmakers at least- just schedule all of the shots you plan to use the gimbal for in a particular scene/sequence/set together in one time block. That way you only have to set up the gimbal once and knock out the shots one by one. 

Granted, that isn’t as reliable a solution for other non-narrative types of filmmaking.

6 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

I can't imagine a PK4 doing so good handheld, hmm interesting.

A lot of the first footage from the camera was hand-held and had that shaky look. I'm not a fan of it (which is why I got the GH5) but it's an aesthetic that some people like I guess. It also depends on how shaky you are, if you practice a lot then you can get gimbal-like results from lens IS, but you'd have to work at it.

I think working out what aesthetic elements you like and don't like is a big part of film-making. I've worked out that I don't like non-stabilised hand-held, but I do like wide apertures, wide DR and the inaccuracies involved with MF are also kind of charming in a human/imperfection kind of way.

It's an art after all, not a science :)

10 hours ago, kye said:

A lot of the first footage from the camera was hand-held and had that shaky look. I'm not a fan of it (which is why I got the GH5) but it's an aesthetic that some people like I guess. It also depends on how shaky you are, if you practice a lot then you can get gimbal-like results from lens IS, but you'd have to work at it.

I think working out what aesthetic elements you like and don't like is a big part of film-making. I've worked out that I don't like non-stabilised hand-held, but I do like wide apertures, wide DR and the inaccuracies involved with MF are also kind of charming in a human/imperfection kind of way.

People need to learn how to grip dslr like cams for smooth shots. There are so many techniques . The strap stretched with a pistol handle. does the trick

Got my cam today FINALLY!. not bad for a 1 month wait.

20181204_184804.jpg

12 hours ago, kye said:

i'm with you i'm not a fan either! 

5 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Yeah but the electronic gimbal flying look gets old as hell quick also. I guess moderation is the key either handheld or on a gimbal.

i should elaborate, i sit, i stand, i lay down, i turn around everything appears pretty smooth to my eyes,i would expect my eyes and other senses to report shaky footage only in the event of an earthquake or stupidly standing in the middle of a boxing ring or crashing a motorbike (no don't ask about the motorbike) i feel it should be the same with video footage, smooth . i hear what your saying about the look and moderation. which ever way you skin this cat, handheld, gymbal, steadicam, crane/jib, whatever method you use, make it smooth it will look more natural to me and will hold my attention longer . isn't this why they put image stabilization on lenses and cameras to help make things smoother. take the hero 7, they are selling hypersmooth there might be a few other improvements but its the hypersmooth their selling.

i dont want to rant, and i confess i'm as guilty as the next bloke when i watch my stuff and think i what the hell was i doing there ?.

conversely for those interested, there could be an emerging market with the younger generation not sure what they feed kids these days however if shaky footage and cutting to a new scene every second and a half is your thing then i reckon you might be a hit with the kids ?.