Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

21 hours ago, wyrlyn said:

Crazy how ebay sellers make more than double profit for selling BMPCC 4K cameras and people actually buy them almost instantly. We live in an impatient world.

I agree.  $2000+ for the camera, when you can actually (pre-)order it for $800 less?  Might as well get a Canon C100 or the Ursa and be done with it.  Like some others, not in no rush to get it.  Wait until all pre-orders are done for it to sell solid.  The camera itself is looking good so far.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, jbCinC_12 said:

I agree.  $2000+ for the camera, when you can actually (pre-)order it for $800 less?  Might as well get a Canon C100 or the Ursa and be done with it.  Like some others, not in no rush to get it.  Wait until all pre-orders are done for it to sell solid.  The camera itself is looking good so far.

Also like it and what the camera offers. But quite happy with what  current cameras from other brands offer so also not in a hurry

On 11/20/2018 at 3:59 PM, Shirozina said:

Maybe post a list of requirements that you are looking for in a camera rather than keep criticising a camera you don't own and don't intend to buy?

Relax dude not saying P4K is trash lol I just said I'm gonna wait til next year, aside from the problems posted, it's also out of stock :lol: 

So the battery that came with the camera is now dead and it won't charge. Good job I have alternative power solutions.

On a positive note I have tried my Panalieca 12-60 2.8-4  and noticed the distortion at the wide end virtually disappears once you get to around 18mm so this could be a good standard lens esp as the stabiliser seems to be more effective than the that on the 12-35.

6 hours ago, jbCinC_12 said:

I think I might sell mine once it arrives.

Make some tidy profit. 

3 hours ago, Emanuel said:

Don, will you accept an advice from someone who wishes the best in your hands...? : ) Buy one! ; -)

I hadn't seen this one here yet, but it is fully true... This is the best camera for motion picture acquisition ever : P

That might be true, but I am still looking I think at buying a Canon C100. Just a lot less hassle battery, buttons, memory space, and even grading wise.

27 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

That might be true, but I am still looking I think at buying a Canon C100. Just a lot less hassle battery, buttons, and even grading wise.

My friend, don't think that way! It is rather the opposite... : ) These guys have invented the most easiest camera and way to achieve the most affordable grading ever : ))

Trust me. And I am particularly done with them this last couple of months... I've even personally addressed my rant to Grant Petty himself claiming for better business policies to their parties or/and whom is interested to collaborate/work at their side.

They've done what Jim Jannard promised almost a decade and half ago, so they must second Jim's not only on that! : -)

32 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

My friend, don't think that way! It is rather the opposite... : ) These guys have invented the most easiest camera and way to achieve the most affordable grading ever : ))

Trust me. And I am particularly done with them this last couple of months... I've even personally addressed my rant to Grant Petty himself claiming for better business policies to their parties or/and whom is interested to collaborate/work at their side.

They've done what Jim Jannard promised almost a decade and half ago, so they must second Jim's not only on that! : -)

Yeah but at my age and "Eyes" I really sort of need some decent kind of AF if I want it. I won't even buy a C100 without it having DPAF. I really can't see the LCD, even Zebras that well without some kind of glasses on, which I don't wear, just reading glasses. So I would have to put them on to see the screen, take them off to see the scene. You get my point. I guess I could get some bifocals but still sort of a pain. Yeah I would like to try one I guess, the PK4, but probably the wrong time to try and get one if you didn't Pre Order.

I think down the road when the dust settles down a person can probably buy one used for 800 bucks body only. Then I can go for that.

39 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Yeah but at my age and "Eyes" I really sort of need some decent kind of AF if I want it. I won't even buy a C100 without it having DPAF. I really can't see the LCD, even Zebras that well without some kind of glasses on, which I don't wear, just reading glasses. So I would have to put them on to see the screen, take them off to see the scene. You get my point. I guess I could get some bifocals but still sort of a pain. Yeah I would like to try one I guess, the PK4 but probably the wrong time to try and get one.

Sure, buddy and I will tell you that I am surprised with their AF too. It is not perfect. A bit of pulsing is their unique flaw though. You don't even miss continuous autofocus.

In the beginning, I thought it would be useless to even think to ever use it. My bad.

Some other lenses later and I realized that was only the product of my laziness.

A few primes or even the 35-100 f/2.8 II to follow up (so zooms as well, but the newer the better) could actually show me a much fitter and totally distinct outcome.

Tap-to-focus really works precise, accurate (had the chance to stress it under low light circumstances, go figure) and in such huge monitor for so lightweight device; you get the mirrorless weight for the balance of a good solid brick-and-mortar.

Any hint what the boys of Nouvelle Vague movements would think about, more than 50 years from today? ; -)

Oh I am not surprised it is pretty good. BMD has good Color Science that is for sure. And with ProRes, Raw it is a winner no doubt. Even at 12bit the Raw is some great stuff. And the bRaw thing ought to make it really useful. I still may look into it. You guys need to get some footage up on here for us to view.

I sold my Sony a7s and all my Sony lenses, battery grip this week. So I am in the market LoL.

2 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Oh I am not surprised it is pretty good. BMD has good Color Science that is for sure. And with ProRes, Raw it is a winner no doubt. Even at 12bit the Raw is some great stuff. And the bRaw thing ought to make it really useful. I still may look into it. You guys need to get some footage up on here for us to view.

I sold my Sony a7s and all my Sony lenses, battery grip this week. So I am in the market LoL.

I've shot some stuff but the best of my footage so far is only home videos with the usual cast, so a bit hard to post it over here, despite the rain these days. Some projects will pop up for sure : ) My fav ones particularly in the dusk and night along is ISO1250, looks like ISO100 ; ) With fast glass you have no need for anything else... (E : -)

13 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

I thought you were going to pull a Charlton Heston with your a7s:

"Pry it from my cold, dead hands!"

Maybe @Andrew Reid can start working on a NEW camera profile called a7SHD where we can give new Fuji, Nikon and Canon cameras those lovely green skin tones from the original a7S???

55 minutes ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

I thought you were going to pull a Charlton Heston with your a7s:

"Pry it from my cold, dead hands!"

@Andrew Reid

Yeah I sort of thought that also LoL. No good way to match the a7s with the Canon C100 footage. But it really is too small for my hands. Now with the battery grip on it it is not too bad. But by the time I rig it out it looks like a Arri Alexa that was in a train wreck. So Main reason I want to go to a C100. I sort of still miss my Panny AF100 layout wise. The C100 is capable of being hand held at times, so I think it will be a better fit for me.  And there is a lot of cheaper lenses for it over the a7s that have AF, the EF-S stuff is damn cheap. And the output is easier to work with. As I am in no real hurry shooting I think it is my best way to go. Now no photo capability, but nothing is perfect for all of it.

Plus I want to start back doing some birding again, and the C100 with the crop is a way better fit for that I think. I have a Swivel Gimbal that I hope the C100 fits on?

An older version of this one I have had for years. https://www.amazon.com/Benro-Carbon-Fiber-Gimbal-GH2C/dp/B00Z17RIN4/ref=sr_1_27?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1542900862&sr=1-27&keywords=swivel+gimbal

I just picked one of these up to serve as a b-cam/gimbal cam alongside my Ursa Mini and ran the first tests with it.

First impressions; it's a beast. The ergonomics are spot on and as a former 5D2 user I feel right at home with it. The UI is essentially the same as in the Ursa Mini which is nice.

And coming from the Ursa, and BMCC2,5K before that, the low light capabilities... they're just like, damn. I just want to go all run 'n gun and shoot my next short with all natural light. I ran a test on how far I could push it  while still getting a clean image - ended up fitting it with a speedbooster and a Pentax SMC 50/1.2. I was able to ETTR at 50fps in city areas, and shoot comfortably in even extremely dim locations. In fact, I had to stop down/up the shutter speed on several occasions.  The image wasn't 100% clean though - I'm assuming it's like in the previous BMD products, in that noise reduction is only applied in prores. I shot RAW so I had to do some cleaning up in Resolve (a process I've accustomed to with previous BMD products mind you - but in ISO 800 in their case), but the image did clean up very nicely and retained all the detail.

It's probably the first time I'm seeing an actual cinema grade camera do low light this well. I felt that I could use a reflector to bounce the available light and the camera would actually pick it up.

Attached two snaps from my short walk with the camera. Not very cinematic - but rather tests on how much data I could get from available nightime light. Quite a bit, even in indirect light, as evidenced by the second picture.

tku_1_45.1.thumb.jpg.ee74b198d7ca88aeb9c38a9485b02572.jpgSilta_1_23.1.thumb.png.424eb1a8817fdd7de2110e0f2a1fbdcb.png