Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

You don't 'need' an IR filter but it just may help in certain situations. Cheap Vario ND's are junk even if some are better than others with regards to sharpness on longer focal lengths as only the very best ones have multi coatings which eliminate flare from the 4 air-glass surfaces. if you can't afford the top end B+W's with MC (which can be as much as a half descent lens) you are much better off with a set of fixed ND's where even cheaper ones have MC.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
21 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Yeah the sigma 18-35 vingettes with a speedbooster if used on a GH5S or Blackmagic pocket 4k. The crop is 1.8 so with a speedbooster it goes down to 1.27 or 1.15 (depending on the speedbooster you get). 

What values did you use to determine a 1.8x crop?

On 11/16/2018 at 11:00 AM, BenEricson said:

What blacks? They look brown to me. ?

Interesting that people have claimed the IR pollution is gone. You can see it right there, clear as day. Has anyone else tested this?

Screen Shot 2018-11-16 at 10.54.38 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-11-16 at 10.54.51 AM.png

Luckily most of us buying this cam already owned the OG pocket, which was much worse with IR pollution so we can solve it easily.  

3 hours ago, Shirozina said:

You don't 'need' an IR filter but it just may help in certain situations.

I guess if you’re only shooting overcrank at high shutter speeds. Once you’re shooting at ISO400/24p in the sun, you will definitely need one. From my experience with the OG pocket, the color was just better with an IR cut filter on all the time, not just when using NDs.

1 hour ago, graphicnatured said:

Luckily most of us buying this cam already owned the OG pocket, which was much worse with IR pollution so we can solve it easily.  

Was it really worse? I mean the Iphone was producing more accurate color. 

If Black Magic or anyone for that matter would have addressed this with the original pocket, you wouldn’t have seen brown footage for the first year and half. 

4 hours ago, Sage said:

I've got the Hoya ProNDs 1,3, and 6. I recently switched to the Firecrest 1,3 and 6. Still have the Hoyas though. I use Xumes for quick swapping

Heard good things about the Firecrest

6 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Man this camera is looking like you have to have about 20 extra things to make it work. Hmm, It is moving off my radar screen more and more every day. This is like going back to 1990 stuff. You had to buy a Van just to haul all the stuff you needed.

There are still some kinks to iron out. So I'm gonna wait til next year for next production P4K. By then, there will be a ton of advice / workarounds for some of its problems. No rush to buy unless you really need that Blackmagic RAW.

9 minutes ago, TurboRat said:

There are still some kinks to iron out. So I'm gonna wait til next year for next production P4K. 

What kinks are you talking about?

We're producing with them daily and haven't had any issues.

It's the most advanced small camera I've ever worked with.  Incredible image, interface and features.

The rest is all internet speculation.

+1 

Two and more from inside saying the same... why should it be? ; ) Don't go after excuses to only justify personal reasons exclusively by your own ; -)

@mercer when some better daylight will help me to overcome how stuck I am on ISO1250 for now : -)

6 hours ago, mercer said:

You have one? I’d love to see what you’re getting out of it. 

7 hours ago, Jim Giberti said:

What kinks are you talking about?

We're producing with them daily and haven't had any issues.

It's the most advanced small camera I've ever worked with.  Incredible image, interface and features.

The rest is all internet speculation.

- Battery getting stuck - 

- Battery doors suddenly opening (also happens to a coworker's P4K) - 

- red clipping - there's a workaround with resolve though 

- footage turning green 

I mean if P4K owners say it's perfect then it's perfect, and that these problems are isolated cases. In my opinion I'm gonna wait it out.

49 minutes ago, TurboRat said:

- Battery getting stuck - 

- Battery doors suddenly opening (also happens to a coworker's P4K) - 

- red clipping - there's a workaround with resolve though 

- footage turning green 

I mean if P4K owners say it's perfect then it's perfect, and that these problems are isolated cases. In my opinion I'm gonna wait it out.

I don't think any P4k owners (including me) think it's perfect but if you  are waiting for a perfect camera then good luck with that......

BTW - Samsung 1TB T5 on Amazon at the moment for £189.99.

38 minutes ago, Shirozina said:

I don't think any P4k owners (including me) think it's perfect but if you  are waiting for a perfect camera then good luck with that......

BTW - Samsung 1TB T5 on Amazon at the moment for £189.99.

Not gonna wait for a perfect cam, just gonna wait until next year to get a P4K. Dont want to pay shipping to ship back a defective one to Blackmagic then pay again to ship it back to me.

Samsung SSDs are really fast and been looking for a good 1TB deal for quite some time (already have the 250gb)

25 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

They cover shipping to and from for repairs. That's a pretty strange reason to not buy a camera. 

They cover shipping and repair for the P4K? That's great! They said they didnt when the Ursa Mini for the company that I worked for before craps out randomly

8 hours ago, TurboRat said:

Not gonna wait for a perfect cam, just gonna wait until next year to get a P4K. Dont want to pay shipping to ship back a defective one to Blackmagic then pay again to ship it back to me.

If you are waiting for a camera free of defective units, better to be rid of it never buying one... Problem solved ; )

I am in position to tell you this camera has been one of the best sellers ever, so?

It is normal you'll find reports of defective units with, isn't it? ; -)