Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
31 minutes ago, sanveer said:

Does it add more than a stop to the brightness? I suddenly see the lens regain online for like $149, so it seems like a great investment. 

Well...its a strange thing with that particular lens.

The LensRegain is only 1 stop but it reports it as f1.8 and my metabones reports it as f1.9 so its all a bit odd.

Anyway, budget for 1 stop and you won't be disappointed !

Its great value at that price for the Pocket4K because - and again if someone knows different please chime in - the fact that there is nothing other than aperture control from smart adapters for it means that its the only way you are going to get focus control of Canon lenses on it without resorting to a follow focus system and all that that entails rig wise.

Would I recommend it at the original price?

Possibly not but if you can get one at the current price then its certainly a bargain.

12 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

I still can't work out how to buy on in Europe though. I keep getting a 'cart is empty' message on the US store.

I ONCE got to the address page, but I couldn't select postage outside of US/Canada. Anyone want to hold my hand through the process?

I think someone further up the thread said if they used PayPal as a checkout option it worked?

5 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

I think its a bit of a double whammy in that gimbal options for the Pocket4K (as you can see from this thread and the separate one) are a bit sketchy at the moment as is the lack of IS on a lot of the lenses people are using.

The Sigma 18-35mm has become pretty much the de-facto "standard" lens over the past few years and whilst it's lack of IS didn't really matter that much as the camera it was mounted to had IBIS and/or was on a gimbal, it really does matter when neither of those avenues are available.

That's why I think people might want to consider options like that cheap Tamron and the like if they are going to be shooting handheld as, pragmatically speaking, the IS arguably matters more in that context than the pure optical performance advantage of something like the 18-35mm that doesn't have it.

Or they could treat it like a cinema camera ???

Besides, we all know how that song about camera stabilisation went - "if you liked it then you should have put a rig on it".

• Super Members
2 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

@BTM_Pix what are the differences between this and the latest version? 

Do you believe it worths the hassle to deliver it from a US address?

The difference between my one and the V2 (which after much confusion appears is the one they are selling off) is that the V2 can control the aperture and focus from the interface unit directly without having to use the controller.

Do I believe its worth the hassle?

I hate recommending things definitively but if you can find a focal reducer that offers electronic focus control of a Canon lens on a Blackmagic Pocket4K for anything less than this one then I'd probably buy it ;)

Unless you want to get involved in rail mounted focus systems there is just no other way currently that you can do focus control on an adapted Canon lens on the Pocket4K.

Now that might well change in the future (if JVC can do AF on my metabones EF adapter then I see no reason why BM can't) but right now I can't see another way with any other adapter.

I have no idea how much the import duty will be for you but if it doubles the price then it is still very good value for money.

Put it this way, the Metabones Smart Adapter I've got that cost double that can only do aperture control with this camera.

The bigger issue seems to be getting hold of one at all in Europe, so if you and @Anaconda_ really want one then the 2 options would be :

1) Get a friendly US forum member to order it and sent it on. I'm going to volunteer @webrunner5 for this :)

or

2) Buy mine off me for €500 now that I've shilled the fuck out of it ! 

2 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Well...its a strange thing with that particular lens.

The LensRegain is only 1 stop but it reports it as f1.8 and my metabones reports it as f1.9 so its all a bit odd.

Anyway, budget for 1 stop and you won't be disappointed !

Wow. Thanks for the answer. I genuinely know too little about focal reducers, and I think I may have used one Only Once on the BMPCC (the original), veryyyyy long ago. The idea does fascinate me though and I was trying to create one for my old smartphone (that was until I lost my nikkor lenses, that I had carefully removed from an old Nikon point and shoot). 

4 hours ago, Anaconda_ said:

I still can't work out how to buy on in Europe though. I keep getting a 'cart is empty' message on the US store.

I ONCE got to the address page, but I couldn't select postage outside of US/Canada. Anyone want to hold my hand through the process?

use this, i use it a lot and it is pretty cool

https://www.shipito.com

5 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

@Anaconda_ The US site says that it is on "pre order" status. Do not think is available, or will ever be.

i did preordered one, talked with sales threw email and they didn't say that it was out of stock, so far my preorder is still on.

i guess they would have told me if there were any problem

I spent a day testing Freetail V60 SD Cards, a couple UHS-I cards and a Class 4 SD card to see what modes would work with the media.

Freetail Evoke Pro C4k and UHD

Prores HQ UHD 24 fps

Prores 422 C4k 30fps

Prores Proxy C4k 60fps

HFR C4k and UHD

Prores 422 C4k 30/24fps

Prores Proxy C4k 60/24fps

Freetail Evoke Pro 1080

CDNG RAW Lossless 1080 30fps
Prores HQ 1080 60fps
Prores Proxy 1080 120fps

HFR 1080

Prores 422 1080 30/24fps
Prores 422 1080 60/24fps
Prores Proxy 1080 120/24fps

12 hours ago, jgharding said:

God I hate all this "TACTICAL ASSAULT ARMOUR" bro marketing stuff, I'm sure it's a great product, but Red style MONSTER ENERGY WOOOOOOO HIGH FIVE TRIBAL TATTOS marketing puts me of

yeah all the crap they go on with if they are going to sell it like that, then it should come with a soldier to carry it and the spare batteries you need and maybe a few lenses as well ?

2 hours ago, thephoenix said:

got an email, back in stock this week. don't know how many though

Cheers. It is 70-80$ to ship to Canada (to my friend) plus taxes, plus 70-80$ to ship to Europe, plus 24% vat, plus customs! So I have to think about it!

I have read a lot of complaints about the build quality, optical quality must bensufficient.