Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

• Administrators

You wouldn't want a trad. vari-nd in your camera body. It doesn't have a 'clear' setting and it messes with reflections. Unless we are talking electronic ND or a filter wheel. I am really surprised the FS5 is still the only e-ND on the market, must be a Sony exclusive tech!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
12 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

(Ignore the small tripod in the shot obviously as it was just used to stand it up for the picture)

Actually, I think that the tripod might be the most significant piece of equipment in this entire conversation.

So far I have seen only a couple of videos where I can appreciate the IQ, with the rest of them leaving me wondering if this camera automatically gives you Parkinsons as soon as you hit record.

I spend the whole time thinking things like "It looks sunny, but maybe the wind is really cold" .... "other people don't seem to be dressed warmly either" .... "it is high up, so maybe they ran up the hill" .... "the girl being filmed looks healthy, so they're probably not going through withdrawal" ....

I wish I was joking!

• Administrators
35 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

$1200 is not bad considering who it is aimed at and the Titanium PL adapter it comes inside.

So I ask again, wonder what is stopping more adapters like this one?

Tech clearly exists dunnit!

23 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

$1200 is not bad considering who it is aimed at and the Titanium PL adapter it comes inside.

Yeah for a Red item it is dirt cheap! I have no clue why Everyone isn't doing it on Mirrorless. Maybe the new Panasonic FF might have it?

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

You wouldn't want a trad. vari-nd in your camera body. It doesn't have a 'clear' setting and it messes with reflections. Unless we are talking electronic ND or a filter wheel. I am really surprised the FS5 is still the only e-ND on the market, must be a Sony exclusive tech!

Yah referring to the electronic vari ND.

I was wondering same thing too, and maybe it's some exclusive Sony tech. I still hold some hopes that Sony is gonna surprise us and include it in the up coming A7S III. 

2 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

It existed a while ago....Genus showed a prototype years ago.......

https://petapixel.com/2015/09/17/this-is-a-prototype-of-an-electronically-controlled-nd-filter-lens-adapter/

It would be interesting to find out why nothing came of it, was the tech/ patent bought out by someone or is the tech just not financially viable in a lens adaptor?

• Super Members

Can't believe you've all forgotten about my prototype electronic variable ND from the summer.

If I'd known you were all prepared to pay $1200 for one I probably would have prioritised it a bit more! 

Shall we say $800 and pretend that cardboard and electrical tape are the new carbon fibre?

Joking aside, its not some massive undertaking for a company to make one as the technology is readily available and fairly cheap.

• Super Members
8 hours ago, kye said:

Actually, I think that the tripod might be the most significant piece of equipment in this entire conversation.

So far I have seen only a couple of videos where I can appreciate the IQ, with the rest of them leaving me wondering if this camera automatically gives you Parkinsons as soon as you hit record.

I think its a bit of a double whammy in that gimbal options for the Pocket4K (as you can see from this thread and the separate one) are a bit sketchy at the moment as is the lack of IS on a lot of the lenses people are using.

The Sigma 18-35mm has become pretty much the de-facto "standard" lens over the past few years and whilst it's lack of IS didn't really matter that much as the camera it was mounted to had IBIS and/or was on a gimbal, it really does matter when neither of those avenues are available.

That's why I think people might want to consider options like that cheap Tamron and the like if they are going to be shooting handheld as, pragmatically speaking, the IS arguably matters more in that context than the pure optical performance advantage of something like the 18-35mm that doesn't have it.

24 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

The Sigma 18-35mm has become pretty much the de-facto "standard" lens over the past few years and whilst it's lack of IS didn't really matter that much as the camera it was mounted to had IBIS and/or was on a gimbal, it really does matter when neither of those avenues are available.

That's why I think people might want to consider options like that cheap Tamron and the like if they are going to be shooting handheld as, pragmatically speaking, the IS arguably matters more in that context than the pure optical performance advantage of something like the 18-35mm that doesn't have it.

IBIS is not a panacea. It is different than lens IS or a tripod.

I like some lenses to have IS for run n gun and what not. It is very interesting that you suggest the cheap Tamron, how good is the IS? And the touch focus?

The NX 16-50S is 2-2.8f, so it is wider, equally fast in the same focal lengths and a lot more tele, while its stabilization is very very good. 18-35mm is very limited for run n gun.

9 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

I like some lenses to have IS for run n gun and what not. It is very interesting that you suggest the cheap Tamron, how good is the IS? And the touch focus?

The NX 16-50S is 2-2.8f, so it is wider, equally fast in the same focal lengths and a lot more tele, while its stabilization is very very good. 18-35mm is very limited for run n gun.

IBiS can create weird warping effects at the frame edges with wide lenses. It's really a stills feature to prevent camera shake.

• Super Members
17 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

The problem with IBIS is that there is a lot going on under the hood with a lot of cameras regarding lens corrections that can often end up interacting in a negative way when you add the additional corrections from IBIS so its by no means a magic bullet and is dependent on the camera and lens combo on an individual basis.

What I would like to see is manufacturer's doing an integral SteadXP type of option where instead of making the corrections in real time (which are permanent and destructive) the camera instead writes the parameters for the corrections it would have made within the video file.  That way they could then have a plug in where you could fine tune the correction in post.

With regard to the Tamron, like every other adapted lens with the Pocket4K, it offers no AF whatsoever from the camera. ***

So, in this case, all of the focus control of it is driven from the LensRegain handle. It actually more practical this way anyway as it means you can do focus control whilst its recording without disturbing the camera as even with the lightest touch you are going to cause a vibration using the touch screen to do it. Plus, of course, you get the advantage of being able to use the A/B memories on the grip to do pulls to with the transition speed being constantly variable on the controller as you are doing them. 

It also means that when you swap lenses you don't have to mess about re-aligning the focus gears and recalibrating the lens as you do with a servo based system, plus of course you don't have to have a rail system to mount it on. If you then got a gimbal, you could of course just mount the controller to the base of that or an accessory bar and still use it.

With regard to the IS on the Tamron, its perfectly adequate for its focal length and combined with the controller grip mounted as I have it for support its actually a pretty neat system.

At the price they were flogging the LensRegain off for (and still are in the US) and how cheap that lens is used, the whole thing amounts to an f1.8 24-70mm equivalent stabilised lens with electronic follow focus for less than £300.

More than enough money left over for a decent tripod ;) 

*** If anyone has an EF adapter that DOES work for AF with the Pocket4K then I'm all ears.

1 hour ago, BTM_Pix said:

Can't believe you've all forgotten about my prototype electronic variable ND from the summer.

If I'd known you were all prepared to pay $1200 for one I probably would have prioritised it a bit more! 

Shall we say $800 and pretend that cardboard and electrical tape are the new carbon fibre?

only if you laquer up the cardboard first, and i'm not pre ordering either  ?

31 minutes ago, jgharding said:

God I hate all this "TACTICAL ASSAULT ARMOUR" bro marketing stuff, I'm sure it's a great product, but Red style MONSTER ENERGY WOOOOOOO HIGH FIVE TRIBAL TATTOS marketing puts me of

I wonder if you could also attach the nucleus-N on a smallrig cage. As I am probably going for a smallrig cage instead of the tilta one(because I own smallrig stuff that is already compatible, like top handle and so on). 

On 11/4/2018 at 6:25 PM, BTM_Pix said:

Incidentally, the lens that is on it is a Tamron 17-50 f2.8, a very underrated and quite lightweight lens which I've had for years and you can pick up used for about £150.

On the Lens Regain it becomes f1.8 with more or less a FF equivalent FOV of 24-70mm so it is ideal as general purpose lens anyway but the icing, of course, is the image stabilisation which makes this whole rig really effective for handheld shooting.

Does it add more than a stop to the brightness? I suddenly see the lens regain online for like $149, so it seems like a great investment.