Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
7 hours ago, BenEricson said:

From the looks of it, shoot in nothing but 400 or 3200 ISO. Why even have those other ISOs available if they produce such gross looking highlights?

They only have gross looking highlights if you overexpose your footage by a ridiculous amount ( 3 stops in that test) as once you move off a base ISO your DR drops so clipping is inevitable. On any camera it is unwise to move off base ISO for this very reason but at least with the P4k you get dual base ISO!

4 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Yeah but this is not the only camera that has Dual ISO. The GH5s, the Varicam, EVA1 to name a few. Surely someone on here has experience using them to hint at what to expect on the "in between" ISO's?

Single or Dual ISO the same thing happens when you move off the base/native ISO - you loose DR. Look at any DXOmark DR test graph and see DR vs ISO. The strategy with a dual ISO is ( and has been widley reported) is it's often better to go straight up to the higher base ISO than push the lower base ISO. Also in stills ( RAW) it's also a strategy to keep the ISO at base and underexpose then push the file in the RAW developer.

9 hours ago, matthere said:

Not sure if it has been confirmed before but the bmpcc 0.58 speed booster works on the P4K, nice option for the 120 windowed mode ?

This is great news ! Did you actually try it yourself ? I was afraid the rear element of the speedbooster would hit the glass protecting the sensor !

1 hour ago, Papiskokuji said:

I was afraid the rear element of the speedbooster would hit the glass protecting the sensor !

It fits quite tightly on the P4K, which added to the drama a bit, but it seems to maintain a sharp image, will do some further testing with a variety of lenses.

11 hours ago, matthere said:

Not sure if it has been confirmed before but the bmpcc 0.58 speed booster works on the P4K, nice option for the 120 windowed mode ?

Did you confirm this? I was looking at picking up the 0.64xl version. If the 0.58 really works then I will be looking at buying that instead and pair with Canon 24-105. 

The 0.58 metabones won't cover the sensor unless the camera is in window mode for the 1080 120fps, so is not usable in UHD or 4K in non windowed mode, to be clear about this. But if you have one from an original pocket it can give you a wider option when windowed.

I did try this on my P4K, but I am not advocating others try this themselves ?

• Super Members

The mystery of why Aputure were selling the Lens Regain products off cheap looks to have been solved as they have now released a Version 2 model.

From what I can see, the only difference is you can control it from the interface unit as well as the grip and it is now back up to €682 :( 

I guess this means that the original won't be coming back in stock in the EU store but its still available in the US store if you want to grab one.

As an FYI for anyone looking to shoot handheld with the Pocket 4K who can get hold of a Lens Regain, I have used a cheap DJI Osmo cold shoe adapter bar to mount the Aputure control grip to the camera.

(Ignore the small tripod in the shot obviously as it was just used to stand it up for the picture)

It makes it a very nice stable little setup and makes holding it at the distance you need to because of the screen far more comfortable. 

Ergonomically, it works very well too having all the lens control (including the focus memories) in your left hand and the camera control in your right.

It is a good halfway house, for me at least, of having more stability and control without having to start rigging it with rails and a follow focus.

Incidentally, the lens that is on it is a Tamron 17-50 f2.8, a very underrated and quite lightweight lens which I've had for years and you can pick up used for about £150.

On the Lens Regain it becomes f1.8 with more or less a FF equivalent FOV of 24-70mm so it is ideal as general purpose lens anyway but the icing, of course, is the image stabilisation which makes this whole rig really effective for handheld shooting.

The only downside is that it isn't exactly silent when it is being focused...

BMGripAPUTURE.thumb.jpg.fadca8e59cc6e35d8fb61eac6c2f24e1.jpg

4 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

The mystery of why Aputure were selling the Lens Regain products off cheap looks to have been solved as they have now released a Version 2 model.

From what I can see, the only difference is you can control it from the interface unit as well as the grip and it is now back up to €682 :( 

I guess this means that the original won't be coming back in stock in the EU store but its still available in the US store if you want to grab one.

As an FYI for anyone looking to shoot handheld with the Pocket 4K who can get hold of a Lens Regain, I have used a cheap DJI Osmo cold shoe adapter bar to mount the Aputure control grip to the camera.

(Ignore the small tripod in the shot obviously as it was just used to stand it up for the picture)

It makes it a very nice stable little setup and makes holding it at the distance you need to because of the screen far more comfortable. 

Ergonomically, it works very well too having all the lens control (including the focus memories) in your left hand and the camera control in your right.

It is a good halfway house, for me at least, of having more stability and control without having to start rigging it with rails and a follow focus.

Incidentally, the lens that is on it is a Tamron 17-50 f2.8, a very underrated and quite lightweight lens which I've had for years and you can pick up used for about £150.

On the Lens Regain it becomes f1.8 with more or less a FF equivalent FOV of 24-70mm so it is ideal as general purpose lens anyway but the icing, of course, is the image stabilisation which makes this whole rig really effective for handheld shooting.

The only downside is that it isn't exactly silent when it is being focused...

BMGripAPUTURE.thumb.jpg.fadca8e59cc6e35d8fb61eac6c2f24e1.jpg

Is this picture of the new version? 

From the video below, you could also adjust the 1st version on the interface unit and also the grip so I am not very sure what's new on this version 2. Plus their website says $699 and if you click on the Buy Now link, it takes you to buy it for $249, at least for their US store. 

• Super Members
1 hour ago, Lenscamera said:

Is this picture of the new version? 

From the video below, you could also adjust the 1st version on the interface unit and also the grip so I am not very sure what's new on this version 2. Plus their website says $699 and if you click on the Buy Now link, it takes you to buy it for $249, at least for their US store. 

No, it is of the original version, which I have had for a long time.

Such a long time in fact that it looks like it might be a Version 0 as it definitely doesn't have the adjustment capability from interface unit but.....

The site that it is listed on as V2 and for €682 was this European one here

https://aputureshop.eu/dec-lensregain.html

However.....looking closer at that site, although its branding makes it look like the official Aputure online store, I suspect its actually a distributor rather than Aputure themselves and that that listing is quite old.

On the official Aputure European store here, it is indeed still showing out of stock

https://eu.aputure.com/collections/follow-focus

That other site has muddied the waters calling it V2 and listing it as a 'new' product when in actual fact it has been that way for quite a while (unbeknown to me with my original one !).

As I said in the post, it does seem to still be available in the US store and if they ship outside of the US then it would certainly be worth the import duty and shipping to the EU.

The $249 price is for the vari ND version by the way (which doesn't have focal reduction), the focal reducer version that I am referring to is listed as $149.

12 minutes ago, thephoenix said:

seems like we might have some new speedboosters coming soon as vigneting is pretty strong on all of them

Pretty insignificant to slight on all of them apart from the x64 I'd say - wouldn't call it strong at all. I'd not be in a hurry to change my EF-M2.

29 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

No, it is of the original version, which I have had for a long time.

Such a long time in fact that it looks like it might be a Version 0 as it definitely doesn't have the adjustment capability from interface unit but.....

The site that it is listed on as V2 and for €682 was this European one here

https://aputureshop.eu/dec-lensregain.html

However.....looking closer at that site, although its branding makes it look like the official Aputure online store, I suspect its actually a distributor rather than Aputure themselves and that that listing is quite old.

On the official Aputure European store here, it is indeed still showing out of stock

https://eu.aputure.com/collections/follow-focus

That other site has muddied the waters calling it V2 and listing it as a 'new' product when in actual fact it has been that way for quite a while (unbeknown to me with my original one !).

As I said in the post, it does seem to still be available in the US store and if they ship outside of the US then it would certainly be worth the import duty and shipping to the EU.

The $249 price is for the vari ND version by the way (which doesn't have focal reduction), the focal reducer version that I am referring to is listed as $149.

Got it! I was talking about the vari ND thinking that's what you were referring in your original post. I have been researching their current vari ND and I hope they also have a new version coming or in the works to address some of it issues. Even though I don't have one, I know I will appreciate it's ease of use especially as I always shoot on location in really sunny environments. 

How I wish a camera manufacture will include vari ND in the body of a mirrorless body. 

Just now, Lenscamera said:

How I wish a camera manufacture will include vari ND in the body of a mirrorless body. 

that would be great.

too bad also you have to choose between vari nd with focus and speedbooster and focus, would love to have vari nd with focus and speedbooster

5 minutes ago, thephoenix said:

that would be great.

too bad also you have to choose between vari nd with focus and speedbooster and focus, would love to have vari nd with focus and speedbooster

Very true, that will be a great product especially for the BMPCC4K! I will pay them even the $1300 for that. But my guess is the high price they will have to charge for it might not generate enough sales. 

1 minute ago, Lenscamera said:

Very true, that will be a great product especially for the BMPCC4K! I will pay them even the $1300 for that. But my guess is the high price they will have to charge for it might not generate enough sales. 

please don't give them ideas like that on pricing ?