Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

3 minutes ago, helium said:

Yeah, well, that's a basic presumption of cinema lighting -- you light the scene.  But you expose for the subject.

Sorry I missed that option. When you have full control of the lighting in the scene you adjust that to best fit the DR of your chosen camera with no need to compromise on anything!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
22 minutes ago, Shirozina said:

Sorry I missed that option. When you have full control of the lighting in the scene you adjust that to best fit the DR of your chosen camera with no need to compromise on anything!

I'm sorry you did too.  What I didn't realize was that the 300+ pages here contemplate using this camera in uncontrolled conditions, and not shooting anything that *must* be exposed correctly and consistently -- you know, like faces.  

Perhaps there might be better camera choices for that sort of photography?

LOL Of course : ) Nuts now. WTH is that?? : D How have you arrived to such fine conclusion? : ))

There's no one shooting style. Yeah, right. Thanks for the information : P

Sorry for the irony. I've just found funny. Hey, I also want to apologize myself. Me included, to be here as well : -)

PS: A final note, though. Old school is done. Media convergence, introduction of large sensors, lightweight tools, from early last decade $100,000 to $1000 price range for S35 acquisition and so on. It is late 2018 today, folks!

24 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

LOL Of course : ) Nuts now. WTH is that?? : D How have you arrived to such fine conclusion? : ))

There's no one shooting style. Yeah, right. Thanks for the information : P

Sorry for the irony. I've just found funny. Hey, I also want to apologize myself. Me included, to be here as well : -)

PS: A final note, though. Old school is done. Media convergence, introduction of large sensors, lightweight tools, from early last decade $100,000 to $1000 price range for S35 acquisition and so on. It is late 2018 today, folks!

If anyone's LOL, it's BMD.  They're selling thousands of "cinema" cameras, with no run and gun conveniences, to people who'll be shooting nothing but crowds, skylines, receding tail-lights and slomo gimbal reviews.  

And all ETTR.  Sounds great, from the marketing point of view.

8 minutes ago, helium said:

If anyone's LOL, it's BMD.  They're selling thousands of "cinema" cameras, with no run and gun conveniences, to people who'll be shooting nothing but crowds, skylines, receding tail-lights and slomo gimbal reviews.  

And all ETTR.  Sounds great, from the marketing point of view.

They are even calling them 'cinema' cameras and not 'run and gun' cameras - truly sickening.......

I've been waiting on buying a gimbal until the Ronin S is updated so the focus wheel can work with this camera - however, I just thought that since the focus on that gimbal is via the USB on the camera, and the camera then controls the focus, that likely means that adapted lenses won't be compatable... right?

If tap to focus doesn't work with a speedbooster, then chances are this 'software' follow focus also won't work. Would it then be better to get the Crane 2 as their 'hardware' / mechanical follow focus is now included for free.

Yes you'll have part of the gimbal blocking your screen, but that's far easier to work around than the Ronin's focus issues (if there are any with adapted lenses).

Or am I missing something and there's an even better solution?

• Super Members
11 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

I've been waiting on buying a gimbal until the Ronin S is updated so the focus wheel can work with this camera - however, I just thought that since the focus on that gimbal is via the USB on the camera, and the camera then controls the focus, that likely means that adapted lenses won't be compatable... right?

If tap to focus doesn't work with a speedbooster, then chances are this 'software' follow focus also won't work. Would it then be better to get the Crane 2 as their 'hardware' / mechanical follow focus is now included for free.

Yes you'll have part of the gimbal blocking your screen, but that's far easier to work around than the Ronin's focus issues (if there are any with adapted lenses).

The Ronin S controls focus on the other cameras using the MTP protocol over USB, so that won't be an option with the Pocket4K.

BM's own camera control protocol runs over SDI and latterly Bluetooth LE. The former isn't an option for the Pocket4K but the latter is.

The Ronin S does have Bluetooth LE (to talk to its app) so that would be a viable way to do it but BM's remote focus control isn't particularly elaborate (just near and far in 1 step increments) so even if DJI implement it then I'm not sure how well it will translate to that wheel.

1 hour ago, Anaconda_ said:

Dji is supposed to release a focus motor that will allow the Ronin-s to focus virtually any camera. 

6 hours ago, Emanuel said:

Both dual native 400 and 3200 ISO coupled to ETTR and you are just fine. Have no worries anymore about it : -)

No complaints about, circumstances vary. It will also depend on your shooting style and last but not least, subjects to shoot for sure. Obviously. But, if you want to protect your highlights, you'll have enough DR room from your clean shadows to go on ETTR : -)

From the looks of it, shoot in nothing but 400 or 3200 ISO. Why even have those other ISOs available if they produce such gross looking highlights?