Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

• Super Members

A poster on the BM and BMC forums has a useful sheet for different batteries based on user experiences reported in their threads.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1aAmZ3u4ZdYQznj_cTCtGcMxsZxT_l2JgmBVj0ADWl1s/edit#gid=0

BM have shot themselves in the foot a bit by not getting the power accessories in place when they shipped the camera.

The list their own battery for £35 and, whilst that is still a lot more than other 3rd party batteries, I think that would be by far the best way to go as at least you know you are using the same battery they design for and test with but I can't actually see it at any of their UK dealers. Similarly, it doesn't help that the official cable pack that would enable it be powered externally doesn't seem available anywhere either. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
19 minutes ago, TurboRat said:

I use the SIgma 18-35 and yes, I think it's a must have even just to experience it with the P4K.

I did some test shots with the Sigma 18-35 and the Sigma 50-100 in combination with the viltrox on my P4K. As far as I can tell, the images look great. I have yet to cut it together and properly grade the shots, but they do look great for what I can tell.

I have noticed that when changing out a battery, the used battery is quite warm when ejecting it.

I'm wondering if all these battery compartment issues are more to do with cheap batteries not being able to handle the warmth without expanding beyond spec. Any cases of batteries getting stuck with the BMD or genuine Canon batteries?

10 hours ago, Alex Uzan said:

I know there is no adapter to mount my Sony lens on it, so any recommandations about which lenses I should get to start ?

Get the classic Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 with a viltrox nikon focal reducer. 

10 hours ago, grex said:

I've never heard of an E mount to MFT mount adapter. Isn't this impossible?

No. But the reverse is possible. But you'd only use it with fully manual lenses. 

7 hours ago, Scott_W said:

Well, strangely, I just put all my batteries in (not at the same time)

A pity that isn't possible! ? All day long battery life. 

6 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

I remove my car doors so I can get in and out faster.

Remove a couple more wheels and you'll have yourself a motorbike!

5 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

BM have shot themselves in the foot a bit by not getting the power accessories in place when they shipped the camera.

The list their own battery for £35 and, whilst that is still a lot more than other 3rd party batteries, I think that would be by far the best way to go as at least you know you are using the same battery they design for and test with but I can't actually see it at any of their UK dealers. Similarly, it doesn't help that the official cable pack that would enable it be powered externally doesn't seem available anywhere either. 

It is very disappointing that BMD didn't use a more common industry standard for external powering. Which is strange, as normally BMD tries to use something commonly available. 

Heck, even if they'd gone with LEMO (as much I hate them being a common industry standard.... gah) that would have been much better!

Anyway, it isn't the end of the world, as Wooden Camera have in stock and are shipping right now a D-Tap cable for the BMPCC4K:

https://www.woodencamera.com/d-tap-to-bmpcc4k-p/264100.htm

4 hours ago, IronFilm said:

It is very disappointing that BMD didn't use a more common industry standard for external powering. Which is strange, as normally BMD tries to use something commonly available. 

Heck, even if they'd gone with LEMO (as much I hate them being a common industry standard.... gah) that would have been much better!

Anyway, it isn't the end of the world, as Wooden Camera have in stock and are shipping right now a D-Tap cable for the BMPCC4K:

https://www.woodencamera.com/d-tap-to-bmpcc4k-p/264100.htm

Blackmagic themselves also sell a power cable kit that is cheaper than the Wooden Camera cable and gives you three cables rather than one. 

• Super Members
3 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Wooden Camera is for those who are impatient. 

I think the really impatient ones will be cutting the mains cable in half then attaching a barrel connector to the harvested side so they can attach it to the ubiquitous £10 Small Rig Sony F battery plate ;) 

2 hours ago, TurboRat said:

Any news about the soft edges when using wide lenses like the Laowa 7.5? I was following a thread about this on bmcuser but I think it got removed?

No, I think its still there, it just seemed to die.  I have been waiting for the update on that.  Did he have a faulty camera? Did the problem go away once he stopped down further?  I may need to bump it, because that seemed a serious issue.

@TurboRat and @MattH - I don't have that lens, but I have the Canon 10mm that I've hacked (literally) to work with the Viltrox speedbooster. I imagine this give a similar field of view - although it will be slightly narrower. I'll happily do some tests for you, but can only get to f3.5ish with the booster.

If that's helpful, let me know what formats you'd want tested and I'll upload some stuff.

For a quick sample, here's a grab I just took at it's widest. Handy button that frame grab one ? 

A008_10241448_S001.dng