Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

16 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

I'm wondering which version of the battery compartment I'm going to get when the courier finally shows up with mine now.

One of the ones where you can't get the battery out or the one where it wants to get out all on its own.

Ive had no issues with the batteries getting suck. Im only using official Canon LPE6 batteries. That seems like a much worse problem to have. since the battery door is a seperate unit, I would hope that they can just send out a replacement part.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
4 minutes ago, JordanWright said:

Ive had no issues with the batteries getting suck. Im only using official Canon LPE6 batteries. That seems like a much worse problem to have. since the battery door is a seperate unit, I would hope that they can just send out a replacement part.

Yeah, the reports I'd read related to it doing with 3rd party batteries but then also with some genuine Canon batteries but they have subsequently turned out to be very convincing fake Canon batteries !

I'm sure CVP will be able to sort it for you.

40 minutes ago, JordanWright said:

My T5 Is working great. Make sure to use the included USBC cable with the T5 because other cables have issues. I previously stated I can record 4k lossless 50p on the T5... well after more testing, it drops frames after 24 seconds. so not great for longer recordings.

Pretty sure I’m using the original cable - but I’ll double check. Thanks.

I’ve been pleasantly surprised at the ability to use my old Sandisk extreme cards for 4K ProRes. I think these will get a new lease of life when BRAW recording comes. 

1 hour ago, Alex Uzan said:

Since I'm sending back the X-T3, I'm planning to buy one and try it in my work.
I know there is no adapter to mount my Sony lens on it, so any recommandations about which lenses I should get to start ?

Maybe the 12-35mm f2.8 zoom and test if OIS will work. But if you want to get something cheaper - 12-60mm f3.5 zoom and the 25mm f1.7 prime

My 3rd party batteries get stuck, but not the one that came with the camera. I'm going to make a little grip on them so I can get them out a little easier. Battery door doesn't open accidentally though. On that subject, does anyone know somewhere in Europe stocking the Blackmagic Pocket Camera DC Cable Pack? I have some Vmounts I can put to good use.

Also, does anyone know if it's possible to download the Extended Video LUT? I know its in Resolve, but it'd be nice to be able to use it in Premiere/Encoder for encoding queues etc.

• Super Members
10 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

My 3rd party batteries get stuck, but not the one that came with the camera. I'm going to make a little grip on them so I can get them out a little easier.

What brand are the 3rd party batteries?

Sounds like a job for a strip of velcro and our old friend expoxy ;) 

Well, strangely, I just put all my batteries in (not at the same time) and now none of them get stuck, even the one that's scratched up from when I tried to get it out last time.

That one is Digibuddy though, for anyone wondering.

So far, I'm really liking the footage, but it's just random shots around the house. Will do more extensive testing tomorrow.

16 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

Well, strangely, I just put all my batteries in (not at the same time) and now none of them get stuck, even the one that's scratched up from when I tried to get it out last time.

That one is Digibuddy though, for anyone wondering.

So far, I'm really liking the footage, but it's just random shots around the house. Will do more extensive testing tomorrow.

Did it get stuck after prolonged use? I suspect the heat makes them swell slightly. As mentioned before, I’ve not had this issue with the ones I bought. They weren’t ultra cheap ones though. 

The camera had been off at least 20 minutes before I tried to take it out - I'll report back the next time I use this battery (tomorrow)

I found the LUTs locally, for those without Resolve already, or who want to grab them without diving into folders, you can get them here ;)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5b3aw8i1dkf8shj/AACnnkI2JfrCVUbMhyjGuSwia?dl=0

For anyone wondering, the Ninja Star works like a dream with this camera. When I press record on the P4K, the Star also starts recording. That's not happened for me with any other camera since I bought it. Apparently it's a known issue, but the product is too old for Atomos to update. Looks like BM did it for them.

I'm not sure what I was expecting, but recording on the P4K at 4096x2160 means the Star records a file that's 1920x1062. 

58 minutes ago, TurboRat said:

Maybe the 12-35mm f2.8 zoom and test if OIS will work. But if you want to get something cheaper - 12-60mm f3.5 zoom and the 25mm f1.7 prime

Yes the 12-35 seem the lens to have.
I really enjoyed it on my GH5.

I know the question is kinda multianswered?, but do you think a speedbooster is a must have for this pocket ?
I read that's only interesting if you already have aps-c or ff lens.
I don't. But would like obviously a shallow depth of field. 

2 hours ago, Anaconda_ said:

My 3rd party batteries get stuck, but not the one that came with the camera. I'm going to make a little grip on them so I can get them out a little easier. Battery door doesn't open accidentally though. On that subject, does anyone know somewhere in Europe stocking the Blackmagic Pocket Camera DC Cable Pack? I have some Vmounts I can put to good use.

Also, does anyone know if it's possible to download the Extended Video LUT? I know its in Resolve, but it'd be nice to be able to use it in Premiere/Encoder for encoding queues etc.

If batteries are overcharged they get puffy. Those could be a serious hazard. 

1 hour ago, Alex Uzan said:

Yes the 12-35 seem the lens to have.
I really enjoyed it on my GH5.

I know the question is kinda multianswered?, but do you think a speedbooster is a must have for this pocket ?
I read that's only interesting if you already have aps-c or ff lens.
I don't. But would like obviously a shallow depth of field. 

I use the SIgma 18-35 and yes, I think it's a must have even just to experience it with the P4K. I have used it on a GH5 / GH5s / a6500 and the dof and sharpness and contrast is superb compared to other lenses that I used (maybe except the Voigts). I think it's gonna give great images paired since it's contrasty out of the gate plus the dof and you can add a Promist filter if you feel like it's too sharp, and an ND filter for daytime. You can always sell it if it doesnt suit you but you gotta experience it. I was also skeptical since I've used the 12-35, 35-100, 12-40, 12-60 mft zooms and images and video is just better with the Sigma 18-35 before grading and post. Of course you can get the same contrast and sharpness with other mft zooms by adding sharpening and grading in Resolve.