Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

30 minutes ago, sanveer said:

I hope there is some consistency with their testing even if they are wrong. 

To give credit where it's due, I actually check their rating and comments regarding dynamic range whenever I am down. It makes me laugh till my eyes water. Hopefully they don't stop that. They're probably doing all sorts of public service. 

So what results do you think are way off? What website has realistic DR ratings in Video Mode? Surely you don't believe the Manufacturers Hype?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, sanveer said:

Cinema5D for the SAME CAMERA will show 3 different rantings in dynamic range, given enough time. I had even posted proof of this in one of the discussion threads.

I remember that in the Z Cam thread. And since I want to get to the bottom of this, and had some time, I gathered every Cinema5D dynamic range test I could find. I found that they are actually very consistent*, within a half stop of every other measurement for a given camera. For example, the Ursa Mini 4K is pegged at 8.5 in one chart, and 9 in another. But overall, quite consistent*.

In one post, they mention a drastic difference after an Imatest update--this was in 2014, on their a5100 test. I didn't find any other tests from 2014 or earlier.

* EXCEPT: there's something really screwy going on with their A7sII tests. Every camera is consistent, except the A7sII. What could be going on? The numbers I found are:

Slog2: 11.9, 11.6, 10.6, and 10.6

Slog3: 12.4, 12.1, 12, 12, 12, 10.6

Perhaps sometime at some point typed 10.6 instead of 11.6, and that number was carried into the most recent lab result? Perhaps the last Slog3 number is also mistakenly the Slog2 number? But so far that camera is the only anomaly I know of.

I've included the excel doc I recorded the data in. If I've missed any articles, or made any mistakes, let me know!

C5D DR Tests.xlsx

EDIT: Sometimes, I pulled numbers from within the article and they'd say "just over 12" or "just under 12." In these cases, I would add or subtract a tenth of a stop, e.g. 12.1 or 11.9 in my chart.

Did some first camera tests with the BMPCC4K here in Vancouver, BC, Canada.

Just got the camera, my first proper test was at an early morning Stanley Park, BC, Canada. Brand new Rokinon Cine DS Lenses got put to the test on a Glidecam HD 2000.
Bit rusty on it but I haven't quite gotten the BMPCC 4K to efficiently be mounted to the Ronin-S.

I am fairly new to actual color correction, I haven't done much here, I was just messing around. I know it's not great.

GEAR:
- Black Magic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K
- Glidecam HD 2000 - Rokinon Cine DS 24mm, 35mm, 85mm Lenses (Canon EF)
- Viltrox .71x (Canon EF to M43 Speedbooster)
- Hoya 77mm Variable ND Filter

This looks like the best one yet with that grip thing on the corner (not sure what they're called, but it's very easy to mount stuff onto)

18 minutes ago, Juxx989 said:

On facebook the tilta rep said thats a hard shell flip screen protector on back.

That threw me for a minute. but I guess its a flippable hard shell screen protector haha

DR is always a controversial number as it depends on subjective ideas on as to what someone regards as acceptable shadow noise. I'm not that interested in absolute values in any test rather than the relative values between cameras. How many people actually measure the brightness range of a scene and then say thy need a camera with X amount of DR to shoot it? The figures look pretty realistic to me as I measured the GH5 at around 9 usable stops before I needed to start thinking about using NR for shadow areas and I got around another 2 stops from my A7R2 (APS-C mode) and A7S (in 4k) and BMPCC. It does show how far behind all these cameras are from the Alexa in this regard which again is not unexpected.

1 hour ago, Juxx989 said:

Ok Now TILTA is dropping a cage next monday   

1351451482_44574738_751485911854252_8842996882578866176_o(1).thumb.jpg.f952589f559f97e76ca5a4bae936ddd3.jpg

On facebook the tilta rep said thats a hard shell flip screen protector on back.

BMPCC4k COMBAT!    $69 bucks... Hmmmm

hmm is that a hotshoe for flash on the front? but is has no electrical contacts. Is there a way to trigger the external flash through a cable or something? 

12 hours ago, BenEricson said:

It's a 10mb 4k png still... Yes, I think a lot can be revealed about the image when raising the gamma slightly. The file is basically flat anyway...

I don't know where the .png came from, but even if it was exported prior to grading, exports out of NLEs typically clip out of bounds (but recoverable) data, making analysis of actual DR impossible.  The file may be flat, but it's levels are truncated.  It's not original log.

If you have grading skills, there is log/raw footage available for download, which would provide a more accurate view of the cam's DR.  But that might not lead to your preferred conclusion.

50 minutes ago, Snuff said:

I downloaded the video from vimeo and saved that PNGs from the edited video.

In that case, it's as pointless trying to grade the .png as it is the downloadable video.

The few .dngs made available here by members here offer a much better example of BMPCC 4K performance, but I gather examining those frames isn't of interest to the critics here.  It looks to me, subjectively, that the BMPCC 4K has more usable dynamic range than the BMPCC, at least in part because it's so much cleaner in the shadows.   But for some reason there seems to be a strong interest in pushing another story here, and without reference to original footage.

5 hours ago, zerocool22 said:

Haha I don't need it perse. I have a 6D for that. But was just wondering :) Might be handy though for once in a year kinda situations.

It's electronic rolling shutter so even if it had flash it would have a maximum flash sync speed of 1/50th of a second or something.  Any faster than that and only part of the image would be exposing when the flash fired.

So I received the Pocket 4k today. yet to do proper tests but I've had a quick play and the files look decent. What surprised me the most however is that I'm able to record 4k 50p Lossless raw to my Samsung T5 500gb drive. didn't expect that. The only downside so far is the battery door. It opens by itself waaayy to often.