Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

• Administrators
12 minutes ago, Turboguard said:

That’s not a comparison really, he’s not even saying that they’re doing a comparison. It’s like taking the new Mad Max movie where they used the OG pocket and saying it’s a comparison to the Alexa. Lol

The Alexa is not God. It's quite an old camera now. Just because its the industry standard doesn't mean to say it has a wide performance advantage to certain other cameras.

I had an interesting bloke from the new Mad Max movie contact me during the production. He was looking for the most compact possible single focus anamorphic for a drone shot and had Google'd Iscorama :)

Small stuff is used all the time in top-flight production, and cuts just fine with an Alexa.

The way people talk about that camera, you'd think it was Alexa, BIG GAP, then everything else. It isn't. Some of the cheaper RAW stuff is right up there.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

Info for video above...

Lenses: Voigtlander 17.5mm f/0.95 and Super Takumar 50mm f/1.4 with Black Promist 1/4

(Which explains the less clinical look then!!)

Canon C200 Lenses: Sigma 18-35 f1.8, Canon 50mm f1.2 and Canon 85mm 1.2 with Black Promist 1/4

BMPCC Resolution and codec: 4K DCI, RAW 4:1, 24P and 60p

Canon C200 Resolution: Canon RAWLIGHT 4K 60P 10bit

Remind me... Is C200 raw internal or external? I have forgotten LOL.

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

The Alexa is not God. It's quite an old camera now. Just because its the industry standard doesn't mean to say it has a wide performance advantage to certain other cameras.

I had an interesting bloke from the new Mad Max movie contact me during the production. He was looking for the most compact possible single focus anamorphic for a drone shot and had Google'd Iscorama :)

Small stuff is used all the time in top-flight production, and cuts just fine with an Alexa.

The way people talk about that camera, you'd think it was Alexa, BIG GAP, then everything else. It isn't. Some of the cheaper RAW stuff is right up there.

Zacuto’s big camera battle showed exactly that -  some cameras need more CC work / post than other depending on the scene. But with careful production quality you can get far. The IPhone even faired rather well too (albeit with a lot of post work) 

37 minutes ago, dslnc said:

Zacuto’s big camera battle showed exactly that -  some cameras need more CC work / post than other depending on the scene. But with careful production quality you can get far. The IPhone even faired rather well too (albeit with a lot of post work) 

Small sensors under 1-inch are too limited for anything other than wide shots going along deep DOF and flat 2D looking. Period.

E : -)

I feel like I read somewhere people being scared that you can’t shoot lossless 4K DCI and record with T5. Well today was the first time I plugged it in and it definitely takes it. I tried 23.976 recorded for 5min before I was convinced enough. Did 30fps recorded for 5min, convinced. And finally 60fps which did get a frame drop after 40seconds. But that’s 40sec 60fps lossless RAW 4K DCI on a 100dollar drive!

The T5 works great! No problems at all here! 

9 minutes ago, Turboguard said:

I feel like I read somewhere people being scared that you can’t shoot lossless 4K DCI and record with T5. Well today was the first time I plugged it in and it definitely takes it. I tried 23.976 recorded for 5min before I was convinced enough. Did 30fps recorded for 5min, convinced. And finally 60fps which did get a frame drop after 40seconds. But that’s 40sec 60fps lossless RAW 4K DCI on a 100dollar drive!

The T5 works great! No problems at all here! 

I get 10 seconds, sometimes 15+ seconds - depends on the scene, so it doesn't work without a problem.

26 minutes ago, vgsmedia said:

I get 10 seconds, sometimes 15+ seconds - depends on the scene, so it doesn't work without a problem.

I will try more and see what my median for 60fps is.

edit: you’re right, the second I took it outside and shot in sunlight, it stops under 10sec. So with T5 you can at least do 30fps 4K DCI without having to worry.

10 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

I watched a video yesterday from Tom Antos who commented that his Ursa Mini has colours that are right up there with Alexa.  What a wonderful world when the technology has closed the gap over time since the Alexa came out.

When I was madly googling how to colour match various cameras, I found quite a few examples of large productions using small consumer cameras for crash cams or difficult locations etc.  

@Emanuel is half-way there with the comment about wide deep DoF shots, like using GoPros as crash cams and only having them in the edit for <1s, but they can also be used in far more situations too.  Any time the image is stylised is fair game.. POV shot of someone on drugs, underwater shots, those shots in a sink looking up at the water streaming down onto glass, macro shots, daylight shots, the list goes on.  There are mods for GoPros that change the lens out to be less wide and have adjustable focus for DoF, there are those EF adapters for mobile phones that focus the lens on ground glass, etc etc.

1" sensor is more likely to equal wide and deep DoF if you've got a small budget and little time, but if you're on a Hollywood production then you'll have time to test cameras, modify them, and do all sorts of things to get the shots you need.  Then you can give them to your colourist who can actually match them properly.

7 hours ago, Emanuel said:

Nah..  skin tones look all plasticy!

5 hours ago, kye said:

I watched a video yesterday from Tom Antos who commented that his Ursa Mini has colours that are right up there with Alexa.  What a wonderful world when the technology has closed the gap over time since the Alexa came out.

When I was madly googling how to colour match various cameras, I found quite a few examples of large productions using small consumer cameras for crash cams or difficult locations etc.  

@Emanuel is half-way there with the comment about wide deep DoF shots, like using GoPros as crash cams and only having them in the edit for <1s, but they can also be used in far more situations too.  Any time the image is stylised is fair game.. POV shot of someone on drugs, underwater shots, those shots in a sink looking up at the water streaming down onto glass, macro shots, daylight shots, the list goes on.  There are mods for GoPros that change the lens out to be less wide and have adjustable focus for DoF, there are those EF adapters for mobile phones that focus the lens on ground glass, etc etc.

1" sensor is more likely to equal wide and deep DoF if you've got a small budget and little time, but if you're on a Hollywood production then you'll have time to test cameras, modify them, and do all sorts of things to get the shots you need.  Then you can give them to your colourist who can actually match them properly.

Nah..  skin tones look all plasticy!

Well it's a plastic doll. Duuh