Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

33 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

tip to do it with embedded videos from vimeo LOL they embedded it on their webpage but they don't allow others to embed it from YT... these autocratic tics from a company like BMD are killing me : X

download embedded videos on Chrome:
customize and control button on the right corner -> More tools -> Developer tools -> F+Ctrl -> mp4 -> select & copy -> word processor -> F+Ctrl = resolution chosen -> copy paste link -> click on right to save as wherever you want in your drive as you wish ; -)

bookmarked.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
17 hours ago, Deadcode said:

The dynamic range is impressive. This shot is waaaaay underexposed and still "just" ProRes. But it can be lifted easily1970079173_Kepernyofoto2018-10-11-15_40_20.thumb.png.5bad6768c0f273424dbe6222a9d0c0f6.png

I can’t believe that the highlights clip that hard on a clip so under exposed. The handling of highlights are what kills this camera for me. The OG pocket had so many flaws but the image was not one of them. 

I think the GH5 might have an upper hand with the baked in color profiles as well. I always impressed with the files straight out of camera with then GH4. Has anybody been messing with shooting non log footage? Can you bake in LUTs to the BMP4K? 

21 minutes ago, BenEricson said:

I can’t believe that the highlights clip that hard on a clip so under exposed. The handling of highlights are what kills this camera for me. The OG pocket had so many flaws but the image was not one of them. 

I think the GH5 might have an upper hand with the baked in color profiles as well. I always impressed with the files straight out of camera with then GH4. Has anybody been messing with shooting non log footage? Can you bake in LUTs to the BMP4K? 

When the scene lighting contrast is  greater than the DR of the camera clipping is inevitable - on any camera. 

25 minutes ago, Shirozina said:

When the scene lighting contrast is  greater than the DR of the camera clipping is inevitable - on any camera. 

Sure, but we’re talking about this camera and those highlights don’t look so nice. The original frame was posted to rave about the DR. I don’t see it. 

I am fairly certain that even a c100 in log would handle that better. 

23 minutes ago, BenEricson said:

Sure, but we’re talking about this camera and those highlights don’t look so nice. The original frame was posted to rave about the DR. I don’t see it. 

I am fairly certain that even a c100 in log would handle that better. 

Maybe the grade was poor, maybe the person who posted it wasn't interested in the highlights and wanted to see how far the shadows can be pushed. One thing you can be certain of is that unless you shot 2 cameras side by side with the exact same exposure settings you can't say which camera has better highlights.

1 hour ago, seanzzxx said:

You can shoot in Video, Extended Video or Film, you cannot bake in third party LUTs (although you can see  them on your monitor)

So many false informations here... It’s not specificaly targeted at you but yes you can totally record custom baked in LUT and that’s an overlooked killer feature. Actually the biggest feature after raw. You can basically get any look straight of camera. I have a review coming showing the power of it !

And so was I worried about highlights handling and DR when I first watched the early footage online. But I can tell you : this camera has more DR than the « legendary » original BMPCC. Once again, I’ll show it in my review. So to sum up : saying that GH5 has a better output for SOOC footage is nonsense I think, granted extended video mode and video mode aren’t any good (you can achieve something pleasing with extended video LUT applied on RAW when you have complete control on WB, with PRORES, I find it to be more complicated...)

Anyway, people (me included !) shouldn’t jump at conclusions when they’ve never shot with the camera.

13 minutes ago, Papiskokuji said:

So many false informations here... It’s not specificaly targeted at you but yes you can totally record custom baked in LUT and that’s an overlooked killer feature. Actually the biggest feature after raw. You can basically get any look straight of camera. I have a review coming showing the power of it !

And so was I worried about highlights handling and DR when I first watched the early footage online. But I can tell you : this camera has more DR than the « legendary » original BMPCC. Once again, I’ll show it in my review. So to sum up : saying that GH5 has a better output for SOOC footage is nonsense I think, granted extended video mode and video mode aren’t any good (you can achieve something pleasing with extended video LUT applied on RAW when you have complete control on WB, with PRORES, I find it to be more complicated...)

Anyway, people (me included !) shouldn’t jump at conclusions when they’ve never shot with the camera.

That's awesome, thanks for correcting me!

27 minutes ago, seanzzxx said:

Cameranu has a 3-4 month expected waiting time for non-preordered cameras. Kamera Express has delivered like three cameras, so far.

Ok I guess I have to avoid those 2 shops then. Maybe I need to look elsewhere in Europe. If anybody comes across one "in stock" let me know :)

57 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

Are there any Belgians or dutch people who got theirs, or know a store where there are no pre-orders but are awaiting shipments?

I got confirmation from Kamera Express yesterday that they received a shipment and have sent it out to people who had preorders. I'm number 10 on their list, but didn't get one, so I guess they didn't get many and assume (really hope) I'll be in the next batch.

Meanwhile, a few other places I've contacted expect to sell  to people without pre-orders in 4 months. - but that seemed like a total guess. 

8 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

I got confirmation from Kamera Express yesterday that they received a shipment and have sent it out to people who had preorders. I'm number 10 on their list, but didn't get one, so I guess they didn't get many and assume (really hope) I'll be in the next batch.

Meanwhile, a few other places I've contacted expect to sell  to people without pre-orders in 4 months. - but that seemed like a total guess. 

Just FYI, Kamera Express is terrible with sending out pre-orders in the correct order. They basically just seem to pick a name at random from their list and ship it to them - I know people who ordered on the 9th of April who haven't gotten anything, and people who ordered in September(!) who did.

• Super Members

It also has a nifty function where it saves the information about the monitoring LUT you were using in the metadata of the clip which is then picked up and displayed in the clip field in Resolve.

I like the baked in LUT function too but as an alternative if you need to turn things round quickly in HD while still retaining the option to have a more flexible master in 4K for future finessing then the option of being able to apply the LUT to the HDMI output is a very good reason to pick up a used Atomos Ninja Star off eBay. 

24 minutes ago, seanzzxx said:

Just FYI, Kamera Express is terrible with sending out pre-orders in the correct order. They basically just seem to pick a name at random from their list and ship it to them - I know people who ordered on the 9th of April who haven't gotten anything, and people who ordered in September(!) who did.

Thats interesting though :)

38 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

I like the baked in LUT function too but as an alternative if you need to turn things round quickly in HD while still retaining the option to have a more flexible master in 4K for future finessing then the option of being able to apply the LUT to the HDMI output is a very good reason to pick up a used Atomos Ninja Star off eBay. 

This is basically my planned workflow. It'll be so good for quick turnaround interview/news based pieces. Doing this, you could even record to ProRes LT on the Star as you won't be needing any extra info to grade with, since the grade is already basically done. 

1 hour ago, BTM_Pix said:

It also has a nifty function where it saves the information about the monitoring LUT you were using in the metadata of the clip which is then picked up and displayed in the clip field in Resolve.

Wow..  that will be such a great combo.  I know that time is money for people who have to turn things around quickly as you say, but this could also be a way of getting proxy files to edit with but not having to wait for the computer to render them when you ingest the footage.

A good media management program (or even just a script like I have) would mean it's not that much harder to ingest the footage from two sources instead of one.

12 hours ago, Jonesy Jones said:

What about a 15mm rod/rail that literally is a battery? So like, you have a cage with a handle and rod that a couple accessories attach to. But the rod itself is a battery. Maybe the handle too.

Maybe this is a dumb idea that's already been mentioned. But it just came to me.

If you want to use 15mm rods, the best you can hope for is AA batteries or 14500 lithium-ion batteries. Eneloop Pro batteries actually have higher energy density than 14500 volume-wise (but lower weight wise), and will make it easier to balance the battery, so let's use them for our example. 6 AA batteries in a row will give us 7.2v which is the same as the LP-E6N battery. 1 Eneloop Pro batteries gives us 2,500 mAh vs the 1865 mAh of the LP-E6N. The rod has to be minumum 30cm long to fit 6 AA batteries, which seems reasonable for a rod anyway. Using 2 of these rods will give us 5 000 mAh at 7.2V, which is equal to 2.7 LP-E6N batteries.

Eneloop Pro batteries are 14.5mm in diameter, so I don't know if it's possible to fit them into a 15mm rod, but if the rod is purpose built I guess it's possible. Since the rod itself can be used as the negative wire, there is no need for an additional wire back. The other question is how the camera will interpret NiMH batteries. If we were to use 14500 batteries, two in a row would yield 800 mAh at 7.2V. More than 2 14500 batteries would require some kind of wiring, and they would need a balancing/protection board as well.