Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The takeaway here is that this can't reasonably be called a pocket camera if it has a better understanding life of 35-40 minutes. For a pocket camera personally I'd like the convenience of long battery life and ibis. The images aren't enough to allow me to ignore it's glaring shortcomings. 

13 minutes ago, Yurolov said:

The takeaway here is that this can't reasonably be called a pocket camera if it has a better understanding life of 35-40 minutes. For a pocket camera personally I'd like the convenience of long battery life and ibis. The images aren't enough to allow me to ignore it's glaring shortcomings. 

Oh really? The camera that doesn't fit in your pocket isn't really a pocket camera? Hot take.

7 minutes ago, tekeela said:

Oh really? The camera that doesn't fit in your pocket isn't really a pocket camera? Hot take.

They intended it as a portable camera. There is pocket in the name. I compared it to other portable cameras. But your sarcasm is noted. 

1 hour ago, Yurolov said:

i might have to get a set of overalls, pretty sure one brand or another would have a pocket big enough to fit the bmd4k , plus i could probably fit the other bit and pieces thats going to be required to shoot with it, in the other pockets. i'm speculating that bm have carried the name over in the hope of riding on the back of the previous camera. it does look to be a bit optimistic to call it a pocket camera  but then which other 4k cameras apart from some action cameras would fit in your pocket anyway? i don't know of any but i haven't bothered to research it either and i don't care much about that issue. the size may be somewhat dependent on those vents some people like to point a stick at .  take donuts for example those things have a huge hole in the middle of them, never heard any one complain about that ? i guess with a couple of holes in it to aid cooling the surroundings had to grow a bit. but if it runs cool. hallelujah !  manufacturers are always going to be creative in their marketing exercises. if your going to take  sales pitches quite literally then i would suggest getting used to disappointment because pretty much everyone does it. sad but true

1 hour ago, TurboRat said:

Shots look amazing! But of course caveat is the size, battery life, ergonomics.

All Sony cameras until A9 and A7iii had similar issues, or worst(battery life, ergonomics). At least this one must be great with adaptors, while others werr really front heavy with an adaptor+lens.

Also, 5' display is 1.8"-2" more than sny other hybrid/dSLR in the market.

I see its size as an advantage, and it is not that heavy for the size.

I have an NX500, and with the 30mm pancake doesn't fit many pockets.

Some more reviews:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju2Q1Tv-2Aw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bg97E3-OqaI

I trust these guys to know their stuff about cameras and they have almost the same issue with battery life and build of the P4k. Personally I think the shots from this camera are wonderful but gonna wait if there's other solutions to remedy the 35-40min battery lifespan.

1 hour ago, Kisaha said:

All Sony cameras until A9 and A7iii had similar issues, or worst(battery life, ergonomics). At least this one must be great with adaptors, while others werr really front heavy with an adaptor+lens.

Also, 5' display is 1.8"-2" more than sny other hybrid/dSLR in the market.

I see its size as an advantage, and it is not that heavy for the size.

I have an NX500, and with the 30mm pancake doesn't fit many pockets.

And since the a7 III, most of my lenses - the 16-35mm f/2.8, 35mm f/1.4, 55mm f/1.8, 85mm f/1.8 and soon the 24mm f/1.4 - will all balance marvelously with the cheapest and lightest gimbals on the market today; as there are hundreds of native E mount photography and cinema lenses, from SLR Magic and Rokinon to Fujinon and Zeiss primes, there’s no need for adapters; I can shoot for over an hour without overheating; battery life is excellent; IBIS helps rid footage of shakiness; and low light performance is nothing short of outstanding.

The first mirrorless manufacturer to come out with a hybrid that shoots RAW or ProRes is going to give BMD a serious run for their money. I’m betting on Panasonic, Fuji or Sony. Canon, Sony, Panasonic and the rest have already partnered with Atomos; every mirrorless camera will soon either record 10-bit 4:2:2 internally or to an external recorder;  and the next logical step will be RAW. 

I think this thread needs a reality check, and luckily Caleb Wojcik just posted one.

Some of the points he made were:

• He loves the image but the camera is a pain to use and so often stays at home in favour of his 2 x C100 mk2
  • It was expensive, and the battery life, proprietary accessories like touchscreen, storage, media readers, handle, chargers, and everything else cost about $25K US about two years ago
  • In fact it was so expensive that he left it locked up because of fear of using it (despite having insurance)
  • It's hugely heavy and impractical to use, he had to buy four batteries because two wasn't enough, and it basically requires a team to build and operate it

In summary - two years ago one of the most affordable cinema cameras cost $20K plus, was such a PITA to use that he didn't take it places, and he used C100s instead.

Now in 2018, they release a 4K60 RAW cinema camera that costs less than 10% of the above RED, is smaller than the C100s but a significant margin, gets similar battery life, is easily hand-holdable, works with all kinds of third-party accessories, and comes with a free copy of an industry leading NLE.

Anyone who bitches about the battery life, size, cost or anything like that clearly don't have the faintest idea what a real cinema camera is like.

Get a grip - you're just embarrassing yourselves.

9 minutes ago, kye said:

I think this thread needs a reality check, and luckily Caleb Wojcik just posted one.

Some of the points he made were:

• He loves the image but the camera is a pain to use and so often stays at home in favour of his 2 x C100 mk2
  • It was expensive, and the battery life, proprietary accessories like touchscreen, storage, media readers, handle, chargers, and everything else cost about $25K US about two years ago
  • In fact it was so expensive that he left it locked up because of fear of using it (despite having insurance)
  • It's hugely heavy and impractical to use, he had to buy four batteries because two wasn't enough, and it basically requires a team to build and operate it

In summary - two years ago one of the most affordable cinema cameras cost $20K plus, was such a PITA to use that he didn't take it places, and he used C100s instead.

Now in 2018, they release a 4K60 RAW cinema camera that costs less than 10% of the above RED, is smaller than the C100s but a significant margin, gets similar battery life, is easily hand-holdable, works with all kinds of third-party accessories, and comes with a free copy of an industry leading NLE.

Anyone who bitches about the battery life, size, cost or anything like that clearly don't have the faintest idea what a real cinema camera is like.

Get a grip - you're just embarrassing yourselves.

I watched that video last night in fact, and it was pretty good. But I continue to stick to my position above. Just months after the release of the a7 III, suddenly the entire industry is into FF mirrorless. I predict the next step will be RAW. And both you and I prefer long battery life (one of the issues with the Red), IBIS and AF - or am I wrong?

14 minutes ago, jonpais said:

I watched that video last night in fact, and it was pretty good. But I continue to stick to my position above. Just months after the release of the a7 III, suddenly the entire industry is into FF mirrorless. I predict the next step will be RAW. And both you and I prefer long battery life (one of the issues with the Red), IBIS and AF - or am I wrong?

I want IBIS and was also wanting AF until I recently changed approach.  If I didn't need either then I would be all over this camera like a rash.  I would just buy a few more batteries.

If anyone doesn't like changing batteries then get a V-Mount and power it externally, the port is there.

If some camera company turns around tomorrow and releases an 8K RAW camera that has 27 years of battery life then it doesn't change how good this camera is, or the fact that there are plenty of battery options, both for the people who want a small setup or those who want to rig it up and have a large one that will run all day.

and if anyone doesn't like that it has the word "Pocket" in the name and it doesn't fit in your pockets then I really don't know what to say....

15 minutes ago, kye said:

I want IBIS and was also wanting AF until I recently changed approach.  If I didn't need either then I would be all over this camera like a rash.  I would just buy a few more batteries.

If anyone doesn't like changing batteries then get a V-Mount and power it externally, the port is there.

If some camera company turns around tomorrow and releases an 8K RAW camera that has 27 years of battery life then it doesn't change how good this camera is, or the fact that there are plenty of battery options, both for the people who want a small setup or those who want to rig it up and have a large one that will run all day.

and if anyone doesn't like that it has the word "Pocket" in the name and it doesn't fit in your pockets then I really don't know what to say....

But why bother with a V-mount when in a couple years, every hybrid on the market will shoot 2 hours or more on a single battery? And FF 8K is the next revolution after HDR for sure. I’m not being argumentative - I’m just stating where I see the industry headed. 

edit: I’m not saying the Pocket is a bad camera, far from it -and I’m liking the images I’m seeing from it.

4 minutes ago, jonpais said:

But why bother with a V-mount when in a couple years, all hybrids on the market will shoot 2 hours or more on a single battery? And FF 8K is the next revolution after HDR for sure. I’m not being argumentative - I’m just stating where I see the industry headed. 

It is where it's heading and I agree.  It's just pretty damn difficult to film something today with next years camera!

Comparing the P4K to cameras in the future should wait until we get those "P4K vs A7SIII vs Panasonic S1 mkII vs GH7" or "P4K in 2021" threads that are inevitable.

Mostly EOSHD talks about cameras in a relatively sane way, but this thread has started to remind me of those smartphone reviewers who give a 1 star rating because the included AI doesn't make their bed for them.