Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
26 minutes ago, tekeela said:

I thought lots of gimbals had focus wheels. What's the difference?

Many gimbals with built in wheel and no motors rely on communicating with the camera and lens electronics which is rather limiting currently with few cameras and lenses being supported.

The Tilta works with any lens and any camera. You just need to add a cheap focus gear to your lens like those offered by followfocusgears.com or zacuto. Also, the Tilta can be used as a normal wireless follow focus when not using the gimbal as well. Very versatile.

You can get a follow focus motor for the Crane 2 but I don't think the Pocket4k flies on the Crane2 very well. 

12 minutes ago, jonpais said:

But is it repeatable? Can it hit eyelashes every time or does it struggle? ?

Haha,

The Nucleus-M certainly has accurate repeatable focus. Can't see why the Nano wouldn't as well.

In any case, for most single operators with a gimbal though, there is no real need for it to be perfectly repeatable as most single operators wouldn't lay down camera or actor marks to hit every take or even mark up the focus wheel disc. It's just a good way of being able to pull focus from one thing to another or just choose what you want in focus. Until Autofocus lenses can read your mind, they will never be as good as a solution like the Tilta ...other brands are available ?

3 hours ago, Turboguard said:

I have the Tilta cage for my OG BMPCC and I love it! I was looking at the ronin S for a while but I use manual glass so this combination might be for me!

I would wait. I saw somewhere DJI mentioning that they will be releasing a DJI Focus Lite for the Ronin S, similar to the Nucleus Nano. Just not sure if they can compete with the nano's price.

2 hours ago, leslie said:

lemac have billed my card and i have been informed that's it could be 4-7 weeks till delivery so hopefully the beast turns up before xmas

What a nightmare.  Pre ordered mine on April 9th and they are still like 2 weeks.  Maybe? 

1 hour ago, Juxx989 said:

What a nightmare.  Pre ordered mine on April 9th and they are still like 2 weeks.  Maybe? 

i thought i was pre ordering, i definitely clicked on the pre ordering link  as well but then they billed my card the whole amount and i'm thinking i might have got it in a week or two perhaps. but the last email i got says 4-7 weeks. i think someones idea of billing customers is a bit ambitious , i would have expected to be billed the full amount when stock was in the retailers warehouse awaiting dispatch to the client. i have never pre ordered anything before no idea it that's typical of companies or not, but im not impressed .

48 minutes ago, leslie said:

i thought i was pre ordering, i definitely clicked on the pre ordering link  as well but then they billed my card the whole amount and i'm thinking i might have got it in a week or two perhaps. but the last email i got says 4-7 weeks. i think someones idea of billing customers is a bit ambitious , i would have expected to be billed the full amount when stock was in the retailers warehouse awaiting dispatch to the client. i have never pre ordered anything before no idea it that's typical of companies or not, but im not impressed .

With my pre-order, I paid the $200 deposit and then paid the balance when I picked up the camera. That's the way it should be done IMO.

2 hours ago, seanzzxx said:

He didn't even bother to switch out "GH5" in some of the descriptions but he'll explain to you how this camera works after having owned it for two weeks.

It's worse that that; Wolfcrow is woefully misinformed on basics like log shooting, LUTs, normalization and dual circuit gain.  He has no grasp of what the camera requires in post.  His reviews should be limited to point and shoots.

33 minutes ago, helium said:

It's worse that that; Wolfcrow is woefully misinformed on basics like log shooting, LUTs, normalization and dual circuit gain.  He has no grasp of what the camera requires in post.  His reviews should be limited to point and shoots.

Funny, because Blackmagic considered Sareesh to be knowledgeable enough to entrust him with a loaner. Now suddenly he doesn’t even know the basics of photography?

John Brawley says over at bmcuser that Sareesh failed to disclose that he had a pre-production unit - but in fact, Sareesh discloses in the very first minute of his review the firmware version he’s using and that he fully expected many of the issues he experienced would most likely be resolved before the camera ever reached retailers’ shelves. That sounds fairly even-handed to me.

Over 755 viewers have found his review helpful and the overwhelming number of the 255 comments on his video praise his work. But a handful of forum members are going to smear his name because they don’t agree with him. 

19 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Funny, because Blackmagic considered Sareesh to be knowledgeable enough to entrust him with a loaner. Now suddenly he doesn’t even know the basics of photography?

John Brawley says over at bmcuser that Sareesh failed to disclose that he had a pre-production unit - but in fact, Sareesh discloses in the very first minute of his review the firmware version he’s using and that he fully expected many of the issues he experienced would most likely be resolved before the camera ever reached retailers’ shelves. That sounds fairly even-handed to me.

755 viewers have found his review helpful and the overwhelming number of the 255 comments on his video praise his work. But a handful of forum members are going to smear his name because they don’t agree with him. 

I suggest you repair to the BMD cinematography forum, and read the discussions initiated by Sareesh, where he betrays astonishing ignorance -- even venturing to lecture BMD staff (Captain Hook), among many others who patiently tried to explain to him the basics, to no effect.

Only BMD and your deity of choice know why Sareesh and other bloggers were chosen for advance units.  With the exception of the Proav UK footage, from a dealer, which didn't try to do much other than set levels, the grading was pretty terrible, even by amateur standards.  Maybe their skill level was deemed to reflect the average Pocket buyer.  Alas.

I would venture to say Sareesh probably has a better Grasp of what video is all about more than Anyone on here, and probably the vast majority of people in the world. Is he always right, nobody is, but I will take his opinions as real truth.

And who has a camera longer than 2 weeks that reviews anything other than their own personal camera? That is 336 hours. Surely a person can figure out a most things in that amount of time. It's not like the first camera that BMD has ever made. It's not like the sensor is new either. It's pretty much a dumbed down GH5s with ProRes and their UI and color science. Not that that is a bad thing. Especially for the money.

I think I would rather have a GH5s and the new Atomos Ninja V. But that is more money obliviously. Add a Gimbal , a Speedbooster and not a lot you Can't do with it.

20 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

I would venture to say Sareesh probably has a better Grasp of what video is all about more than Anyone on here, and probably the vast majority of people in the world. Is he always right, nobody is, but I will take his opinions as real truth.

And who has a camera longer than 2 weeks that reviews anything other than their own personal camera? That is 336 hours. Surely a person can figure out a most things in that amount of time. It's not like the first camera that BMD has ever made. It's not like the sensor is new either. It's pretty much a dumbed down GH5s with ProRes and their UI and color science. Not that that is a bad thing. Especially for the money.

I think I would rather have a GH5s and the new Atomos Ninja V. But that is more money obliviously. Add a Gimbal , a Speedbooster and not a lot you Can't do with it.

Well, that settles it then.  Case closed!   Sareesh is a world-class authority, by decree.

The proof that most users, including Sareesh, never figure it out is as plain as the poor grades and senseless test comparisons (in Sareesh's case) which are routinely uploaded, with apparent pride.  336 hours is nothing.  This has been going on for years.   You still have people offering up uncorrected log footage from their BMPCC, and expecting to be admired for it.

Then again, if you have no intention of either buying or using this or any other camera ("I would think"?), it won't matter much.   Pick your authorities as you prefer.