Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

29 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

LOL Funny one : ) BTW, can you post a test with the tap to focus feature going on the new Pocket 4K? Thanks : -)

I don't have any MFT lenses unfortunately. 

The tap to focus feature isn't available on the Canon lenses I have tried so far with the Metabones XL Speedbooster.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Anyone have any experience with the brand AngelBird? They're a little cheaper at B&H for the 300Mbs SD's. I'm looking to pick up one tomorrow to use for smaller projects where I don't have to bring the T5. I do care more for quality and Sandisk has never failed for me but again, never heard about AngelBird (it's only 50dollars cheaper so might not be a big deal)

Also, I only have three lenses for this camera, Sigma 18-35, 50-100 and a Samyang 10mm, so the Speed booster Ultra .71 is all I need right? Saw some comments about the .64 or whatever it is, but that's for full frame right? I do have my BMPCC speed booster that I heard people have been using for the 4x crop on super slow mo as well...

I would not risk my media on Angelbird. I owned one of their cards for use in my GH5 (128GB V90) and it could not keep up. I had to send it to Austria for replacement. So number one, they’re not as widely available as orher brands. Two, their warranty might not be as good as say Sandisk or other brands. Three, looking on Amazon and B&H, there are only a few reviews and not all good, whereas Sandisk has got tons of reviews, overall favorable. A few dollars savings isn’t worth it. I think there are other less expensive reliable alternatives, just not Angelbird.

7 hours ago, MattH said:

People will have their preferences for either but to say they are the same is silly to my eyes.

It would have been nice if they'd be graded the same, or white balanced the same.

I'd like the same test to be done half-way properly, and using Resolve with a colour checker of some kind so we're comparing the cameras and not the WB or the grades.

In the 2012 Zacuto test I didn't rank the Sony F65 highly because I didn't like the grade, yet it is a lovely camera.

On 10/5/2018 at 12:42 AM, Bioskop.Inc said:

I love the way people think BM have changed - it took them a year of Firmware updates till they finally left the OG Pocket alone & it got to stores at about the same pace this one.

No need to worry, the camera will get to you in the end & the longer you wait, the better - as they'll listen to the beta testers & solve loads of issues before you actually have it in your hands.

Still gonna wait for the Half Price Fire Sale that'll come next year - you just know they'll do it again!

I agree with most of your post, up until the last sentence. 

BMD never repeated worldwide (aside from a momentary flash here or there at some shops shortly after) half price sale of the BMPCC. It was for most intents or purposes a "one off". 

Many of us waited to see it happen for the BMPCC again, only to never get that chance again. And it took a very very long time to wait for 2ndhand prices to universally come down to the sub $500 level. 

And I waited for ages for a half price Micro Cinema Camera which sadly never came :-(

On 10/6/2018 at 3:34 AM, DBounce said:

I agree with you it is not bad for the price. But isn't it $1300? I don't think there is a package that does not include the software. As for timecode, I think most cameras can input a timecode signal to an audio channel?

It can be a pain though if dealing with n00b/ID10T post, I just today had an editor ring me up and I had to carefully hand hold him through each step for using each Tentacle Sync track from the three Canon DSLRs.

Like would have been much easier for me if we'd used 3x BMPCC4K

3 hours ago, IronFilm said:

It can be a pain though if dealing with n00b/ID10T post, I just today had an editor ring me up and I had to carefully hand hold him through each step for using each Tentacle Sync track from the three Canon DSLRs.

Like would have been much easier for me if we'd used 3x BMPCC4K

Yep, I agree with IronFilm. It's great that the Tentacle can send TC to an audio channel for DSLR's but it's just easier having timecode where it's suppose to be and two usable channels for audio. Saves many phone calls and frustration from editors. 

17 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

This video I posted before is shot at ISO 800 and 1250. I see Very little noise in it. Granted the guy actually Knows what he is doing so that helps LoL. You are going to see a ton of total shit tests from people that have no clue how a Cine camera works. So I would take a lot of it with a grain of salt until some true legitimate tests are out. And yeah just about Every Cine camera has noise in it. You are Supposed to be skilled enough to overcome it shooting, or in post, or both. There are very few automatic anythings in a Cine camera. You have to sort of know what the hell you are doing.

https://vimeo.com/292482866

I could swear that I remember from one of the early BMD video interviews that they said the areas inside where the sensor was was covered in plastic to protect it from water, dust getting into it. Now how does it protect the fan I don't know. I am sure you are not going to stand under a waterfall with it, but I doubt it will be as terrible as it seems like it might be.

I am sure some crazy person on You Tube will take one in the shower to see if it goes up in smoke or not LoL.

If it is done properly the heatsinks would be the only thing exposed, so if that was the case it would not matter where the vents were 

14 hours ago, A_Urquhart said:

Here are the cinema cameras we use all the time from Feature films to run n gun documentaries. I have shot with Epic and Alexa in hot, dusty outback Australia as well as sleet and snow and have not had issues.

Pic1. Red Epic has two large holes with fans on the top. 

568585769_Reddragon.jpg.a6238a85ce81d239da8b0f86a89063cd.jpg

Pic2. Alexa mini has it's large holes/fans on the side and back

alexa-mini.jpg.55bf9abb8f3e9eb294f73d9104312b7e.jpg

Pic3. Sony F5 has it's large holes/fans on the top

1790125451_Sonyf5.jpg.cc23492bedb6678aefe326a038ebeb3d.jpg

Pic4. Last picture is what we do when it starts to rain

828497754_Alexaminiinrain.jpg.0514f0972191d555e1c8e032bdc8402b.jpg

A Large plastic bag looks very low tech, but given that these cameras can all be rigged so differently depending on shoot requirements, t's by far the most versatile way and gets the job done.

Thank you. I have never shot with a cinema camera and this helps a lot.

15 hours ago, tonysss said:

My tip ...  A)old BMPCC  B)BMPC4K   C)GH5s  sharp is setting + maybe up +5 ? 

Resolution is pretty terrible, it looks like the image has been blurred out on purpose or shot at 720p. You can tell since the leaves are a blurry mess and most of the signs are barely legible. If it had been shot at 4K you should be able to read all of the signage, and you can barely read any of it, there is no detail at all.

20 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

In there is says : ‘set the camera project frame rate to 25p, but set the off speed frame rate to 60p.’

don’t do that. 

Why? They are doing to produce slow motion footage. It is shot at one frame rate but stored as another, so when it is played back it would appear slowed down.

50fps slowed to 50% is 25fps. It’s the same reason it’s not advised to put 30p footage in a 25p timeline, you’ll see skipping and generally not smooth playback. 

60fps at 50% is not notocibly slower than 50fps at 50% but 50fps at 50% will playback a hell of a lot smoother in a 25p edit. 

It’s a pal/ntsc issue. 

26 minutes ago, mercer said:

So your lights won’t flicker?

Ok so its only bad if you're shooting slow motion indoors using practical lighting or ouside using street lights.  Thats fine.  So theres no issue with shooting 60fps in daylight and conforming to 25fps? I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

1 minute ago, Anaconda_ said:

50fps slowed to 50% is 25fps. It’s the same reason it’s not advised to put 30p footage in a 25p timeline, you’ll see skipping and generally not smooth playback. 

60fps at 50% is not notocibly slower than 50fps at 50% but 50fps at 50% will playback a hell of a lot smoother in a 25p edit. 

It’s a pal/ntsc issue. 

It will slow the footage down by 2.4 times instead of 2 times, but I don't see how it will be less smooth.  We aren't shooting interlaced.

4 minutes ago, MattH said:

It will slow the footage down by 2.4 times instead of 2 times, but I don't see how it will be less smooth.  We aren't shooting interlaced.

I don't see that either. 10sec at 50fps is 500 frames. 10 sec at 60fps is 600 frames. If the project is 25 fps, the first one will be 500/25=20 sec long, the second will be 600/25=24 sec long, and they will be equally smooth. There is no skipping if you use up all the frames.