Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

42 minutes ago, Dan Wake said:

is this camera usable only at 200 iso if you want a true clean image quality? to me it looks dirty at 400 iso, super dirty at 800... 1600 seems a nightmare, 3200 is trial for heresy lol. what do you think?

That you are joking.

If not, then try selecting 1080p and watch your troubles disapear.   All cameras have this noise.  All jpeg and video processing has tons of noise reduction. That clip didnt even have chroma noise reduction.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
8 minutes ago, MattH said:

That you are joking.

If not, then try selecting 1080p and watch your troubles disapear.   All cameras have this noise.  All jpeg and video processing has tons of noise reduction. That clip didnt even have chroma noise reduction.

yes I'm joking but I really wish to ask help to understand which max iso I could expect to use for professional work using this camera.

On 10/6/2018 at 5:35 PM, Andrew Reid said:

Are any of these tests showing the difference between the Pocket 4K and GH5S?

Are any showing the actual benefits of RAW vs H.265?

It's all just eye candy.

I want to know what the actual image quality is relative to the competition (X-T3, GH5S, Z7, Magic Lantern and A7 III).

Nothing yet vs other competition like the Sony A7III but I've found these vs GH5s:

http://tide.film/blackmagic-pocket-cinema-camera-4k-first-impressions-and-comparison-against-the-panasonic-gh5s/

vs GH5:

So basically image quality wise, the new Pocket 4k is near the GH5

5 hours ago, Dan Wake said:

is this camera usable only at 200 iso if you want a true clean image quality? to me it looks dirty at 400 iso, super dirty at 800... 1600 seems a nightmare, 3200 is trial for heresy lol. what do you hink?

This video I posted before is shot at ISO 800 and 1250. I see Very little noise in it. Granted the guy actually Knows what he is doing so that helps LoL. You are going to see a ton of total shit tests from people that have no clue how a Cine camera works. So I would take a lot of it with a grain of salt until some true legitimate tests are out. And yeah just about Every Cine camera has noise in it. You are Supposed to be skilled enough to overcome it shooting, or in post, or both. There are very few automatic anythings in a Cine camera. You have to sort of know what the hell you are doing.

https://vimeo.com/292482866

10 hours ago, filmspa said:

I really like this camera but there is an issue that it is making me not buy it: the vent system.

How do you prevent dust and water to go through the vent system? I worried about this because it looks like that is not wheater sealed enough. And also the hole below the camera could be closed due to the plate of a trypod...

There is people telling me that Red and Arri have the same issue so I have to get over it.

For the price point and the features offered, this camera is amazing. But I need to know that my 1290€ are not going to the toilet because I was shooting in a location and some soft rain screw the sensor through the vent system...

Thanks in advance

I could swear that I remember from one of the early BMD video interviews that they said the areas inside where the sensor was was covered in plastic to protect it from water, dust getting into it. Now how does it protect the fan I don't know. I am sure you are not going to stand under a waterfall with it, but I doubt it will be as terrible as it seems like it might be.

I am sure some crazy person on You Tube will take one in the shower to see if it goes up in smoke or not LoL.

4 hours ago, TurboRat said:

The guy who uploaded this is a pretty well-known commercial director in the Philippines. So I'm not surprised about the grading and the kinds of shots that he got from the P4k ?

everywhere all the time slooooowmooootiooon .....  98% new videos from BMPC4K is slowmotion, this is new trend BM shooters ? I want normal speed please !!!

I know you did not have it yet, BMCC shooters, but do not overdo it ...

Screw slow-motion..  I want people who make review videos to make a list of things they want to say before they hit the record button!  Watching 4 minutes of content delivered over 20+ minutes isn't helping anyone.

I get that people want to get these videos uploaded fast and don't want to edit that much.

A plan of what to say is kind of like doing the editing before you shoot.

4 hours ago, TurboRat said:

Nothing yet vs other competition like the Sony A7III but I've found these vs GH5s:

http://tide.film/blackmagic-pocket-cinema-camera-4k-first-impressions-and-comparison-against-the-panasonic-gh5s/

vs GH5:

So basically image quality wise, the new Pocket 4k is near the GH5

In regards to ISO performance? The GH5 falls apart at 6400 iso. The BM looks good even at 12,800 iso to me. Its not just noise but also color. 

The GH5S and BMP4K have the same sensor its just about noise reduction. Its one of the advantages of the GH5S you won't need NR in post. 

2 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

This video I posted before is shot at ISO 800 and 1250. I see Very little noise in it. Granted the guy actually Knows what he is doing so that helps LoL. You are going to see a ton of total shit tests from people that have no clue how a Cine camera works. So I would take a lot of it with a grain of salt until some true legitimate tests are out. And yeah just about Every Cine camera has noise in it. You are Supposed to be skilled enough to overcome it shooting, or in post, or both. There are very few automatic anythings in a Cine camera. You have to sort of know what the hell you are doing.

https://vimeo.com/292482866

thx for reply, did you had the chance to test this camera? I wish to know which is it the max iso you would use with it please.

1 hour ago, Snuff said:

From the previous test it is obvious that C is the GH5, and that tells me everything I need to know about the difference you get with black magic compared to panasonic.  People will have their preferences for either but to say they are the same is silly to my eyes.   So the question is which is the 4k.  I think I know,  but the fact there is a question at all tells two things:

1. That the pocket 4k isn't that far behind the original pocket in terms of dynamic range and overal look. 

2. Just how good the detail from the original pocket is.

I think A is the original pocket.  It seems to have very slightly better highlight handling, but B seems to have better colour ungraded.  With A you would need colour correction but with B you could get away with just contrast.

13 hours ago, filmspa said:

I really like this camera but there is an issue that it is making me not buy it: the vent system.

How do you prevent dust and water to go through the vent system? I worried about this because it looks like that is not wheater sealed enough. And also the hole below the camera could be closed due to the plate of a trypod...

There is people telling me that Red and Arri have the same issue so I have to get over it.

For the price point and the features offered, this camera is amazing. But I need to know that my 1290€ are not going to the toilet because I was shooting in a location and some soft rain screw the sensor through the vent system...

Thanks in advance

Here are the cinema cameras we use all the time from Feature films to run n gun documentaries. I have shot with Epic and Alexa in hot, dusty outback Australia as well as sleet and snow and have not had issues.

Pic1. Red Epic has two large holes with fans on the top. 

568585769_Reddragon.jpg.a6238a85ce81d239da8b0f86a89063cd.jpg

Pic2. Alexa mini has it's large holes/fans on the side and back

alexa-mini.jpg.55bf9abb8f3e9eb294f73d9104312b7e.jpg

Pic3. Sony F5 has it's large holes/fans on the top

1790125451_Sonyf5.jpg.cc23492bedb6678aefe326a038ebeb3d.jpg

Pic4. Last picture is what we do when it starts to rain

828497754_Alexaminiinrain.jpg.0514f0972191d555e1c8e032bdc8402b.jpg

A Large plastic bag looks very low tech, but given that these cameras can all be rigged so differently depending on shoot requirements, t's by far the most versatile way and gets the job done.

38 minutes ago, Dan Wake said:

thx for reply, did you had the chance to test this camera? I wish to know which is it the max iso you would use with it please.

No Sorry that is Not my video, and no I don't have it, not even on order. But we know it will be good at 3200, as that is the other dual ISO setting. So I would guess 6400 tops. But you have to realize that is a HUGE improvement for a BMD camera.

27 minutes ago, A_Urquhart said:

828497754_Alexaminiinrain.jpg.0514f0972191d555e1c8e032bdc8402b.jpg

A Large plastic bag looks very low tech, but given that these cameras can all be rigged so differently depending on shoot requirements, t's by far the most versatile way and gets the job done.

LOL Funny one : ) BTW, can you post a test with the tap to focus feature going on the new Pocket 4K? Thanks : -)