Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 10/4/2018 at 9:35 AM, Robin said:

That looks great ! 

Will be interesting to see someone try this sort of film look on the new camera, so far nothing looks close to this.

Can you tell a bit about the gear used? Rig,lenses?

Nothing fancy, a lumix 12-35, an hoya variND a zacuto loupe and a Rhode mic.

On 10/4/2018 at 6:16 AM, Andrew Reid said:

I am just wondering how he can say it's the gold standard, in the same breath of "it's not a low light camera"

:)

It's not full frame either.

"Fan a none issue!"

It is an issue. It has a great whacking hole in the top!!

I am interested to find out how they stop dust getting in there and onto the sensor, as the fan is primarily there to cool the sensor and image processor.

I would also be frightened of a slight bit of drizzle or sand. You guys plan to use it in a plastic bag? :)

i figure if you can buy a pc that has water cooling, buying a camera with vents won't be much of an issue either

9 hours ago, DBounce said:

Wow the blackmagic is so much better there. You can actually see the colour of the grass bouncing off his skin, whereas the Panasonic does its usual thing of dragging the colours kicking and screaming to this weird neutral orange/red 

1 minute ago, Andrew Reid said:

You're not using your PC outside!

your mostly correct, however i have dragged the pc round the country side abit when i was in a gaming mood and somewhat younger  does that count ?

i do plan on taking the bm4k on a road trip and to some national parks. to be honest i baby my stuff abit as well, on the upside everything i own still works

i'm expecting an australian company would make a camera for australian conditions :)

4 minutes ago, Inazuma said:

Wow the blackmagic is so much better there. You can actually see the colour of the grass bouncing off his skin, whereas the Panasonic does its usual thing of dragging the colours kicking and screaming to this weird neutral orange/red 

I think a better comparison is the GH5S... which honestly there is not a lot of difference. Of course you lose the much better battery life, weather sealing, better build quality, options like battery grip, remote function through app etc...

The GH5 is a usable stills camera, whereas the P4k is really only a video camera. Yes I know it has an shutter button... but come on 8MP stills? Is this 2006?

10 minutes ago, DBounce said:

I think a better comparison is the GH5S... 

I think you are right because these cameras are using the same sensor or at least very similar. It's a matter of preference and perspective though, the bmcc goes all in on video while the Panasonic attempts to remain a run-and-gun hybrid. But with such a low resolution for photos and - to a lesser extent - no IBIS I wouldn't be content shooting stills on it anyway. Which is why some people prefer going for the extra video focused features of bmcc. Not to mention, the gh5s is a completely different price point.

• Administrators

I wouldn't say the GH5S is not "all-in" for video. Seems balls deep in video to me.

5 minutes ago, tgan said:

Which is why some people prefer going for the extra video focused features of bmcc.

Well, it's great it does RAW and ProRes, but the GH5 and X-T3 have a longer list of video focused features in total. The GH5 including some very major features like an EVF, anamorphic mode and IBIS.

I don't see what is wrong with 10bit 4:2:2 either, maybe I am missing something.

It is time for this Pocket 4K hype to get a reality check.

Probably as soon for most people as they open the box.

Andrew, I get what you are saying but maybe i had too much bias creep into what I wrote (I've ordered a bmpcc). My point is that between the two the features and price are different enough that each are targeting different audiences. There are plenty of people that think each camera is garbage and amazing. Personally, I didn't even consider the gh5s or gh5 because they are far more expensive. So even given the they have differences, I would have taken a hit on quality and features just for the sake of saving money.

23 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

I wouldn't say the GH5S is not "all-in" for video. Seems balls deep in video to me.

Well, it's great it does RAW and ProRes, but the GH5 and X-T3 have a longer list of video focused features in total. The GH5 including some very major features like an EVF, anamorphic mode and IBIS.

I don't see what is wrong with 10bit 4:2:2 either, maybe I am missing something.

I think it comes down to what you look for in your final project, and not what “most people” want in terms of features. It’s just flame war at this point. Kind of like a console war between Xbox and PlayStation. I still bring my own bmpcc to work, even though we have a canon c200 (whatever it’s called) at the office. Some people just prefer a different look and a different work style (as in terms of handling). And again, you don’t need to buy the P4K if you don’t want to, if you have the GH5s go out and shot with it then.

53 minutes ago, DBounce said:

... but come on 8MP stills? Is this 2006?

I printed 11x17 prints from DNG’s of the BMPCC, so knowing I’m getting 8Mb of data compared to 1.9Mb this time around. I don’t see a problem. Also been doing portrait work with it for companies such as Beam Suntory and some architecture firms; https://www.olarch.com/retail

3643D2F1-E405-41DC-97FC-EA131685460F.png

52 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

I have to agree that expectations need to be kept in check. The P4k makes a good niche use camera. Similar in principle to the spirit of the GH5S. But no EVF? That’s a big miss. No battery grip option? Yeah, just rig it out and strap a VMount to it. At that point I think my C200 makes a tad bit more sense. The P4k would be a horrible choice as a primary camera. Too many compromises from this hybrid poser. The Fujifilm X-T3 is perhaps the best balanced hybrid available today. Good resolution for stills... and a competent shooter. Powerful video capture device with great out of camera colors coupled with the flexibility of FLog. I would argue that the Fuji is the superior video camera. It has a great AF system, which is useful whenever mounted to a gimbal. Weather sealed body and lenses. And a healthy selection of sensibly priced high quality glass. 

If you purchase the P4k expecting the formers level of flexibility, then you are setting yourself up for a disappointment.

So who is the P4k for? Well honestly, after looking at the footage I see nothing that could not have come from a GH5S. Really! The OG Pocket had a very organic vibe... and frankly, that’s why we put up with it’s limitations. This new camera’s footage feels like GH series footage. However, it forgoes the bulletproof Panasonic body. So back to the question... who is it for? Those that must have raw... and need it at the expense of everything else mentioned.

22 minutes ago, Turboguard said:

I printed 11x17 prints from DNG’s of the BMPCC, so knowing I’m getting 8Mb of data compared to 1.9Mb this time around. I don’t see a problem. Also been doing portrait work with it for companies such as Beam Suntory and some architecture firms; https://www.olarch.com/retail

3643D2F1-E405-41DC-97FC-EA131685460F.png

I once saw a guy play Beethoven’s Fifth on Coke bottles?

57 minutes ago, Inazuma said:

i watched it again after reading your comment and to be honest i am left underwhelmed. i guess its nice to see some more mundane actual footage shot with the camera and some comparisons with another camera, but i don't think either grading did that dude any favours.  perhaps i was expecting something more akin to some of the other offerings that have been presented lately. also whats with the candle flame in the pany shot its nearly twice as big compared to the bm4k surely that affects the light levels or are my eyes playing tricks on me ? actually i am leaning on the bm side of the fence at the moment and yes i have ordered one but i wouldn't consider my self a fanboy just yet.

6 minutes ago, leslie said:

i watched it again after reading your comment and to be honest i am left underwhelmed. i guess its nice to see some more mundane actual footage shot with the camera and some comparisons with another camera, but i don't think either grading did that dude any favours.  perhaps i was expecting something more akin to some of the other offerings that have been presented lately. also whats with the candle flame in the pany shot its nearly twice as big compared to the bm4k surely that affects the light levels or are my eyes playing tricks on me ? actually i am leaning on the bm side of the fence at the moment and yes i have ordered one but i wouldn't consider my self a fanboy just yet.

I recall when I first saw footage from the OG pocket... I thought, "it has mojo". I don't really get this vibe from the new camera. It feels like something I have seen before... not something original. It feels well, sort of Panasonic. Maybe my opinion will change, once more footage gets out there.But for now, there is nothing to make this stand out from the crowd. Yes it shoots raw... which is important... if you fukc'd up the exposure. Other than that....?