Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Turboguard said:

Anyone who ordered from B&H heard anything? Also if I call them will they tell me what number in line I am? I got it April 9 right after announcement. 

I spoke with a customer service person from BH Photo and she said that they expect to ship out some of the Pocket 4k orders tomorrow.

• Administrators

It's not really a cinema camera though. It's going to be annoying especially with the low battery life, you will want to do a lot of power cycles in the midst of shooting with it.

Now you can always rig it up with a big brick of a battery but you know what I think of doing that to "Pocket cameras".

1 hour ago, Vision said:

@sobrietyrefund

here u go ?

1 hour ago, sobrietyrefund said:

Do you have a link to that video?

The stills are just some testing yesterday but they ARE from the Pocket 4K. I'll try and see if I can make a video soon but there's a lowlight shoot I'd like to add in and need to find some time for that.

The Blackmagic RAW video is from the Ursa Mini Pro though. 

I just like the look of the great actors. And the asian guy is my brother haha.

• Administrators

I am just wondering how he can say it's the gold standard, in the same breath of "it's not a low light camera"

:)

It's not full frame either.

"Fan a none issue!"

It is an issue. It has a great whacking hole in the top!!

I am interested to find out how they stop dust getting in there and onto the sensor, as the fan is primarily there to cool the sensor and image processor.

I would also be frightened of a slight bit of drizzle or sand. You guys plan to use it in a plastic bag? :)

• Administrators

120p is 4x crop and no AF tracking.

You can see THROUGH the camera from top to bottom - it has a HOLE in it.

GOLD standard?

Pity the early adopters, after I saw his 'problems' section.

Squeals a high-pitched note randomly. Sometimes just hangs for no reason.

No low battery warning or graceful shutdown procedure, just turns off and corrupts the ProRes file.

The camera ain't finished.

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

It's not really a cinema camera though. It's going to be annoying especially with the low battery life, you will want to do a lot of power cycles in the midst of shooting with it.

Now you can always rig it up with a big brick of a battery but you know what I think of doing that to "Pocket cameras".

Let's get past the fact that you can't put this in your pocket. Anyone who really wants to put a cinema camera (with cinema lens I'm assuming?) in their pocket is kidding themselves anyway. I had a 'Kessler Pocket Dolly' and never once complained that I couldn't get it to fit in my pocket.

On the contrary but this camera is a cinema camera more than any other Fuji, Sony, Panasonic or Canon DSLR/ Hybrid or even C300 and the like. I can easily see this being rigged up as a B / C/ crash camera on cine shoots where the non pocket size and short battery life are easily overcome. Have a look at how that Fuji X-T3 was rigged in your first post about it Andrew, whats the point of doing that to a small mirrorless camera, by you theory we should keep the cameras small if thats how they were built. That thinking goes against the DSLR revolution which was all about adapting these small cameras with monitors, lens adaptors, EVF's etc to make them more suited to video use.

Moving on, I'm not having any luck with the Wasabi batteries. While they are coded and do show the remaining power as a percentage, the reading is not accurate and they are lasting half as long as the BMD included 2000mah battery despite being rated at 26000mah. Am sending the Wasabi's back as they are not as rated and just buying genuine Canon batteries.

Alternatively, as I am wanting a small monitor for it anyway that I can tilt, I might get the SmallHD focus (or cheaper chinese knock off) which will serve as a great on camera monitor and also have the ability to power the camera via its NP-F battery which I have plenty of. ......

Speaking of which, does anyone have experience with the SmallHD Focus and Cheaper versions like the AndyCine, Feelworld etc?

I am sure BM will sort out all the issues. They are kind of known for releasing a "mostly" finished product.

Image quality is subjective but in general I agree with him. Nothing else shoots 4k raw anywhere near this price, especially considering it does it up to 60p and of course 1080 120p raw(though it is 4x crop). You might not like the M43 look but there is no arguing the 14 bit raw 4k.

Impressive little monster. Not sure how great it is for run and gun though. Maybe its a nice little sneaky camera or gimbal camera. Run and gun ehh

I am not getting it though, especially after hearing about the 4x crop in 1080p. Fuji XT3 for me(soon maybe, hopefully).