Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

6 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Eh, my Sony PMW-F3 is roughly speaking more practical more general purpose usage. 

Yeah but the Red can still do 4K and 2K, so that is an advantage. And has a ton of compression options. But I would say the F3 is better for pure 1080p, and a heck of a lot cheaper to buy..

But I would still pick a Canon C100 for 1080p if I didn't need broadcast quality.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
16 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Yes, the KineMON monitor (and power for it, uses an integrated cable like say RED/Sony/Canon do) is just a small 5" one you can clip onto the top of the camera. 
The battery is just a small Sony BP-U30 that slots into the KineGrip side handle. 
The whole thing is not too dissimilar in total size to what a large-ish DSLR might by like a 5D or perhaps D5 might be. 

That's interesting, thanks.  I just started a new thread partially inspired by your suggestion :)

18 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

And with 9mm f8 it is easy to get your subject in focus even with manual focus!

I've owned one myself for years. 

Have you recorded video with it?  I don't think I've seen any from this lens - only stills.

14 minutes ago, jonpais said:

I’d pass on the KineMon if it’s only 500 nits.

I guess it depends on what you're filming and how good it is at focus-peaking and other assists.  If, like me, you're just capturing what happens, then keeping the composition and focus right can be enough, although I'll definitely agree that brighter would be better!

3 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Yeah but the Red can still do 4K and 2K, so that is an advantage. And has a ton of compression options. But I would say the F3 is better for pure 1080p, and a heck of a lot cheaper to buy..

4K and higher frame rates are the only big benefits I'll give in favor of the RED ONE. 

But I'll try to struggle along for another year with merely "only" 1080 60fps ProRes HQ. (although the temptation to buy a FS700 is there. Or a Sony PMW-F5, but then I'm looking at dropping US$6K ish :-/ )

However in every other way the Sony PMW-F3 is better than a RED ONE:
Power consumption. Weight. Low light. NDs. Mount adaptability. Etc

1 hour ago, kye said:

That lens is famous in street photography circles.

It is really wide, which is desirable.  There's a saying "if your photos aren't good enough then you're not close enough" so wide and close was the combo to have.

It is MF and has a mechanical control that your muscle memory can learn and then rely on.

It is F8 which is about right for the genre, anything shallower and you don't have time to take the shot, and anything deeper is probably too slow and doesn't have enough separation.  I don't know about eye-focus or anything with the latest cameras, but people with all types of camera would "zone focus" because acquiring focus took too long, not too long on certain cameras/lenses, but too long in any case.  This gives you MF that can be adjusted, which is kind of the best of both worlds.

It is soft, which is desirable because in combination with a bit of ISO noise, makes everything look like film, which is the right aesthetic.

It is cheap cheap cheap!!

I have been half tempted to get a Pocket2 with a fixed lens as a 'special projects' camera, in addition to the setup that I've been pursuing with a flexible zoom lens.  My thoughts were that the fixed lens would have to be a walk-around lens and would have to be special in some way, otherwise a zoom would be better because of the flexibility.  A Pocket2 with one of these on it might be a fascinating thing to see the output of.

You can adapt the Oly bodycap lenses to Sony FF and APSC E mount too.

I had the 15mm and it was a lot of fun though I never used it for video.      Vignettes FF of course though you can get rid of it with a bit of clear zoom and in APSC mode you don't need much clearzoom.

The adapters are cheap and sharp as they are very thin.

If I get one of these cameras one day (would be in a year or two), it would be well worth getting another body cap lens though I think I would still prefer the 15mm.

On 10/1/2018 at 4:07 PM, Chrad said:

Hard to buy that. There are barely any M43 sensors on the market. Is there really another out there with the same oversized dimensions and dual ISO that we somehow haven't heard about?

Q: How do you know a politician is lying?
A: Their lips are moving. 

Some could say the same is true about salespeople as well....

On 10/1/2018 at 8:53 PM, kye said:

I'm not sure if the lack of adjustable screen is due to it being a 'cinema' camera where the world is expected to bend around the camera instead of the other way around, or if it was a size or cost measure, but the idea of it being a 'cinema' thing fits with the great attention and effort towards image specs and (relative) lack of effort towards ergonomics for hand-holding.

I bet the reason is : BOTH! 

Both is due to their cinema camera world view, and for cost cutting measures. 

20 hours ago, Papiskokuji said:

Here it is ! I just picked it up at Photocineshop in Paris :astonished::love::tounge: I was the first in queue, I called them monday, they told me they expected it mid october. But I received a call today telling me it's here so... They received only 3 cameras. They ordered 75 and have 60 in queue. Funny story, the guy at the counter told me the boss was mad at him because the boss wanted to keep the first ones for rent (it's also a big rental company) and not fulfilling the first orders ! I think I have the first retail version in France ( I know it's a lame sentence !)

Oh that is funny!

But I bet he could have made a killing in rentals with the camera out every single day for a month straight if it is the first camera in the entire country available for rental. 

5 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Nope, maybe I should do a vlog with it?

Please do!  :)

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

I bet the reason is : BOTH! 

Both is due to their cinema camera world view, and for cost cutting measures. 

Yeah, I agree.  Unfortunately for us!

36 minutes ago, Dan Wake said:

how much is it a speed booster (or compatible brand) for this camera? thx

It depends really? Do you want to use manual lenses? If so, go for a viltrox or a lens turbo? They are around a 1/3 the price of a metabones! If you want to have electronic control then a metabones speedbooster is probably your best bet.

7 minutes ago, Turboguard said:

Anyone who ordered from B&H heard anything? Also if I call them will they tell me what number in line I am? I got it April 9 right after announcement. 

I haven't heard anything yet from them. I figure they're probably swamped with all sorts of orders since they've been closed for over a week. Hoping to hear from them soon either way.