Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
17 minutes ago, Shirozina said:

Maybe.

Im thinking of trying an anti glare matte screen protector like those used on smartphones. Thoughts?

10 minutes ago, JordanWright said:

what's everyones battery plans so far?

At the moment I think I'm going to get a few LPe6 batteries and reply on the AC power for longer stuff. 

I've ordered 4 Wasabi LP-E6 batteries which come with 2 dual channel chargers so a can charge four batteries at once.

The battery supplied with the Pocket 4K is rated at 2000mah and the Wasabi's are rated at 2600mah so I'm hoping the Wasabi are true to their rating. I also heard the Wasabi's are coded like Canon's batteries so hopefully they will support the Pocket4K's percentage meter reading which should be more accurate and which the supplied battery doesn't. 

I should find out tomorrow.

4 minutes ago, A_Urquhart said:

Maybe.

Im thinking of trying an anti glare matte screen protector like those used on smartphones. Thoughts?

Depends what the issue with the screen is you have - if you can see it clearly with a hood but the self reflections are a problem it may work but it's not going to make the screen more visible in bright light. As I said my main issue will be my eyes can't focus that close anymore so I'll need a Loupe or EVF. I can't use my VideoDevices 5" for the same reason even with a hood that excludes ambient light. This is why for many people the GH5 and GH5s with their very good EVF's are not going to be replaced by the P4k in handheld situations.

3 minutes ago, Shirozina said:

Depends what the issue with the screen is you have - if you can see it clearly with a hood but the self reflections are a problem it may work but it's not going to make the screen more visible in bright light. As I said my main issue will be my eyes can't focus that close anymore so I'll need a Loupe or EVF. I can't use my VideoDevices 5" for the same reason even with a hood that excludes ambient light. This is why for many people the GH5 and GH5s with their very good EVF's are not going to be replaced by the P4k in handheld situations.

The screen is highly reflective so eliminating the reflections might make it more easily visible. Cutting reflections means the screen has less to compete with. I'll try to pick up a cheap phone version tomorrow just to see how it works and if it's good, get a proper 5" screen protector without the phone button cutout.

14 minutes ago, JordanWright said:

what's everyones battery plans so far?

At the moment I think I'm going to get a few LPe6 batteries and reply on the AC power for longer stuff. 

That's my plan as I have about 8 LP-E6's from when I last owned a 5DII. Even if I only get 20-30 mins from a battery this will be plenty of time for a long take. I've used external batteries on my A7s and A7r2 but the extra 'rigging' and bulk was more hassle unless it was in a fixed studio situation so in the end I just bought more internal batteries and swopped them between takes.

1 minute ago, A_Urquhart said:

The screen is highly reflective so eliminating the reflections might make it more easily visible. Cutting reflections means the screen has less to compete with. I'll try to pick up a cheap phone version tomorrow just to see how it works and if it's good, get a proper 5" screen protector without the phone button cutout.

Try one for an ipad mini or other tablet as it will be big enough to cut down without needing to have a hole in it. If the screen is gloss I'd say such a protector is essential unless you want to keep wiping away finger marks every few minutes.....

19 minutes ago, A_Urquhart said:

I am using such to all my cameras. Someone will make a specialized one for the Pocket, for sure.

Try something like a semi-matte or else you are loosing too much detail.

I can not see my Focus replaced by anything soon. I worked mid day on hard Mediterranean sun all summer without a hood, and it is the smallest and lighter that there is (hopefully was even smaller, but staying  5") and great battery consumption also.

Did you try touch focus AF? Does it have settings you can adjust and make it seem like rack focus? 

I honestly prefer working with native lenses, a speedboosted 18-35mm is not appealing to me at all. Very short range for a workhorse zoom and too front heavy on m43 cameras I have used it.

7 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

I honestly prefer working with native lenses, a speedboosted 18-35mm is not appealing to me at all. Very short range for a workhorse zoom and too front heavy on m43 cameras I have used it.

Which native zooms have a 1.2 aperture though? Agree it's not a workhorse / walkaround but it's got exceptionally good IQ ( doesn't need software distortion correction like native M43 lenses), low light ability and it's a zoom! I'll only use it in low light situations as the amount of ND filtering needed for bright conditions is an issue esp if the IR filter on the P4k is not that effective?

9 minutes ago, matthere said:

@Snowfun

Is  the rear screen one of the hard glass varieties?

One of the main features of the flippy type (GH series) for me is that the screen can be turned inward as protection when the camera is in a bag, the use of a protector on non flippy screens is a must for me.

I don’t see anything to indicate that screen is anything special in terms of glass. I’d have thought it would be an advertised feature if it was gorilla glass or similar? Might have missed it however!

It’s s pity it doesn’t have a plastic cover of sorts because there is a lot of surface area to scratch.

3 hours ago, A_Urquhart said:

I'm using the .64 Speedbooster XL on my Pocket4K and it works great with full frame lenses.

There is a slight vignette on the wide end of my Sigma 18-35 1.8

How far in do you have to go to have no vignette on the 18-35? I've been doing more reading and am pretty set on getting the same setup you're describing. I've read most people like the .64 Speedbooster more because you can just stop down or zoom in to get past the vignetting, and that it otherwise makes it faster and slightly wider. Do you recommend the setup and is that basically why?

1 hour ago, Shirozina said:

Which native zooms have a 1.2 aperture though? Agree it's not a workhorse / walkaround but it's got exceptionally good IQ ( doesn't need software distortion correction like native M43 lenses), low light ability and it's a zoom! I'll only use it in low light situations as the amount of ND filtering needed for bright conditions is an issue esp if the IR filter on the P4k is not that effective?

Can you tell me more about the issues in bright conditions? I'm thinking of getting it.

17 minutes ago, tekeela said:

Can you tell me more about the issues in bright conditions? I'm thinking of getting it.

Bright conditions + wide apertures require very strong ND to control exposure and many ND filters don't block IR as well as visible light which the sensor can pick up and cause a colour shift in dark tones. Naturally you can also stop down the lens but then you may as well get a native M43 lens.

1 hour ago, Dunjoye said:

Miles better than the GH5 > 

Cant wait

I'm not seeing anything that couldn't be done with a GH5 or GH5s and a (heavy) grade - apart from the 4k 60p internal. 

45 minutes ago, Shirozina said:

Bright conditions + wide apertures require very strong ND to control exposure and many ND filters don't block IR as well as visible light which the sensor can pick up and cause a colour shift in dark tones. Naturally you can also stop down the lens but then you may as well get a native M43 lens.

I'm not seeing anything that couldn't be done with a GH5 or GH5s and a (heavy) grade - apart from the 4k 60p internal. 

Better colors , more filmic