Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, JordanWright said:

I just read on the BM forums that CVP only had 1 camera delivered to them.

Pretty much the same thing here in the states, only 50 cameras arrived this week, and all were demo cameras for stores. This info is from Hot Rod Cameras. I'm first on their list, and they have promised me a camera next week as they have been promised by US BMD distribution to receive another order next week, but they do not know the volume of the shipment yet.

21 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

If I was rich, I kind of used to be, even a Arri Alexa LF wouldn't cost me shit for money compared to what I make.

Cameras are a funny thing - it's one of the only things I know of where having more money wouldn't help me that much.  If you want an ILC cinema camera with good 4K smaller than a C100 there are simply no options.  That is, unless you're a billionaire, in which case you can probably ask one of the manufacturers to design you one! :)

Edit: with great IS for handheld work.  Otherwise the Pocket 2 is fine :)

1 hour ago, BTM_Pix said:

Haha

I'd go on that forum and say "Yeah, that's my one but funnily enough I'm off on holiday for a month so won't be able to even get it out of the box til I get back" and watch them all lose their shit ;)

Too busy getting excited about my TWO Hydrogens to have even unboxed it..

Trying to work out the optimum settings for extreme low light...

• Super Members
42 minutes ago, kye said:

If you want an ILC cinema camera with good 4K smaller than a C100 there are simply no options.  That is, unless you're a billionaire, in which case you can probably ask one of the manufacturers to design you one! :)

That's more or less how Jannard came to start RED.

But it escalated!

9 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

That's more or less how Jannard came to start RED.

But it escalated!

With all cameras, from every manufacturer, escalating in quality, I’m surprised Red and Arri hasn’t released a sub $3000 cinema camera. I remember Arri talked about a S16 B&W camera they were going to make for young filmmakers but that never materialized. If Arri came out with a digital BL, even in B&W only, I would be all over it.

• Super Members
6 minutes ago, mercer said:

With all cameras, from every manufacturer, escalating in quality, I’m surprised Red and Arri hasn’t released a sub $3000 cinema camera. I remember Arri talked about a S16 B&W camera they were going to make for young filmmakers but that never materialized. If Arri came out with a digital BL, even in B&W only, I would be all over it.

RED were trailing what they were calling a "3K for 3K" camera but ditched it.

They seem to now be ploughing the "3D for another 3 months late" furrow with their phone instead.

They should do a Cinecorder for us ;)

4 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

RED were trailing what they were calling a "3K for 3K" camera but ditched it.

They seem to now be ploughing the "3D for another 3 months late" furrow with their phone instead.

They should do a Cinecorder for us ;)

Yeah I remember that, and it would have been a smart move. BlackMagic operates in a market they have all to themselves. Of course, I don’t know if l’m sold on the P4K yet. I know everybody was impressed with the Wolfcrow comparison but all I learned from it was that Arri squashes all three cameras (no surprise) and that the P4K was only marginally better than the GH5. With the added features of the GH5, I don’t know if I would switch if I already owned one.

1 hour ago, mercer said:

Yeah I remember that, and it would have been a smart move. BlackMagic operates in a market they have all to themselves. Of course, I don’t know if l’m sold on the P4K yet. I know everybody was impressed with the Wolfcrow comparison but all I learned from it was that Arri squashes all three cameras (no surprise) and that the P4K was only marginally better than the GH5. With the added features of the GH5, I don’t know if I would switch if I already owned one.

Yeah I think the real true gain with the PK4 is the Raw, and the new BRaw. But that is a pain in the ass, so I doubt many people are going to make that their #1 Codec. Sure the UI and screen is nice,  but in  bright light it doesn't seem to be so hot, and you can't move it around to avoid it.  And now you can buy a GH5 for not a lot more money than the PK4. I think for the average person what you give up is not worth it. I just don't see it as a camera that you would really use that much. Sure would be nice to have it when you do need it though. There will be some good buys on it used down the road. I don't see tons of people keeping it to be honest.