Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

One of the best things about getting a P4k from CVP is the fun one can have dissolving all the packaging bits (like tasteless Wotsits for those who know such things).

In a 8Sinn cage it’s certainly quite large - just searched my wardrobe and definitely don’t have a suitably sized pocket.

Right... initial review done so I’ll attach a lens...

53 minutes ago, Snowfun said:

One of the best things about getting a P4k from CVP is the fun one can have dissolving all the packaging bits (like tasteless Wotsits for those who know such things).

In a 8Sinn cage it’s certainly quite large - just searched my wardrobe and definitely don’t have a suitably sized pocket.

Right... initial review done so I’ll attach a lens...

Which 8sin did you get? I’m looking at the half cafe with Scorpio handle.

24 minutes ago, Turboguard said:

Which 8sin did you get? I’m looking at the half cafe with Scorpio handle.

The full one but without a handle. It provides good all round protection and sufficient bits to grip (albeit with the handle that’s not so important).

The three function buttons are not as convenient (given the cage) as they might be but I suppose it’ll just take some getting used to.

I do have nato rail handles so will probably fit one.

The menu system is fabulous.

46 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

You're clearly not searching hard enough. 

DSC_0070_2048x2048.jpg

Nowhere near big enough!

Did you see what Jim (yes, that Jim) has done for the titanium Hydrogen preorders? Now that is a “big pocket with long arms”.

10 hours ago, Newway12 said:

Hardly, a pocket 4K probably won’t cost more then 4000$ fully tricked out with every possible accessory.

I never said it wold cost more, it will be damn near as big. This is suppose to be a POCKET camera, not a Cinema Scope camera. And for 4 grand you can buy a real Cine camera used.

9 hours ago, jonpais said:

a comparison between the Pocket 4K, Arri Alexa and GH5. (mostly for skin tones, dynamic range)

He had another video saying how he wouldn't review the eos r. I think after seeing how bad he missed focus here he might want to give that another thought. The skintones for the gh5 look pretty bad imo. Not sure if it was because of the LUT he was using. 

12 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Hell by the time you put a battery grip, a SSD, a mike, a cage, ND filters, oh and you Need a Gimbal because it has no IBIS, a wireless focus controller because it has no continuous AF, you might as well carry around a Arri Alexa!

Yeah, right. And since they're about the same price, that seems like a no-brainer.

21 minutes ago, Jocelyn Deguise said:

Yeah, right. And since they're about the same price, that seems like a no-brainer.

Where the hell did I say Anything about a price? It is about the size! Price is irreverent. If I was rich, I kind of used to be, even a Arri Alexa LF wouldn't cost me shit for money compared to what I make. You act like everyone is poor as hell.

2 hours ago, Yurolov said:

He had another video saying how he wouldn't review the eos r. I think after seeing how bad he missed focus here he might want to give that another thought. The skintones for the gh5 look pretty bad imo. Not sure if it was because of the LUT he was using. 

The GH5 is crippled when shot in V-LOG and the standard Panasonic LUT as it's designed for the varicam and not the GH5. Better to use HLG and Resolve color management to convert to REC709 (with all 3 cameras infact). I'm also not sure how relevant 3 stops under and over are to real world shooting as I doubt even the most cack-handed operator would get exposures this wrong but at least it proves what you pay for with the Alexa. It kind of confirms what I though though that the GH5 is not going to be significantly out performed by the P4k as long as you expose and WB it correctly and use the 10 bit 4.2.2 codec.

image.png.5eed1c7143de679ddefcbcae780bc03b.png

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/pocket-cinema-camera-4k-european-launch-event-registration-50396784138

Today directly from my email inbox:

To the European Launch of the new Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K!

Join us and the Blackmagic team in London on Wednesday, October 10th to mark the introduction of the new Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K. You will see the first projects shot with the camera, meet the filmmakers and get some hands-on time, as well as a night of music, food and drinks!

From my experience with the Blackmagic Cinema Camera and color temperature, I found the BMCC looks better in daylight 5600k lighting rather than 3200k tungsten.  I have read that this is the case with most modern sensors - they are optimized light sources closer to Daylight than tungsten.

I am thankfully for the test being done, but shooting in daylight may have been a better light source for real world comparison sake.

It would be nice to have seen the GH5 with GHAlex LUT.

I saw the comment about using the version 4 color science with the Pocket the would be welcome as well.

Adding these refinements and BRAW sensor output tuning (when available) and we may see that the Pocket 4k will be more competitive in the skin tone category against the Alexa.

This test shows the potential but not the final image that can be had from the Pocket 4k pending BRAW and version 4 colors science is applied under Daylight conditions.