Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

2 minutes ago, MattH said:

Yeah if it had IS it would be perfect for the pocket 4k.   I guess its still appealing in many ways, but the lack of IS is a dampener and makes other options have more appeal like light weight primes or speed boosted dslr lenses that do have IS.

Well, start looking at your options in this range and you'll find few. Native m43 lenses have few options in this range, primes or zooms. And what you trade for one spec you lose in another. The closest lens to this is the Tokina 11-20mm 2.8. I believe it does come in m43 mount, and can even be had in an upcoming Cine version. And can move up to S35 sensors which is great. But, with this new lens, you trade range and speed. Plus its Leica glass which is worth a look. Can't wait for more info. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
4 hours ago, BopBill said:

I am sure many would be intrested to know something about the audio quality recorded with camera's internal mics. I have understood it should be quite good for internal mics. Does it capture camera's fan noise, or how about the noice floor, is there much hiss in sound?

I haven't heard any sound recorded with this camera yet.

How directional it is would be useful to know too :)

9 hours ago, BopBill said:

I am sure many would be intrested to know something about the audio quality recorded with camera's internal mics. I have understood it should be quite good for internal mics. Does it capture camera's fan noise, or how about the noice floor, is there much hiss in sound?

I haven't heard any sound recorded with this camera yet.

Ok, so by reading here and BMC User, it seems that people really want to know what the audio is like. As there are no other videos around showing the audio qualities of the Pocket4k, thats what i'll focus on tonight.

Just so I'm not wasting my time, off the top of my head, here is how i'm gong to do the test...let me know if you think it could be done better but again, I'll only have an hour or so to do this tonight.

1. Inbuilt mic with person reading, sitting about 4ft from camera to simulate general piece to camera or interview.

2. Inbuilt mic with person reading about 4ft away but walking left to right of room to test how directional mic is (?).

3. Same scenarios as 1 & 2 but using Rode Video Mic (Original) into minijack input and mounted on camera to compare scenarios 1, 2 &3.

4. Rode NTG3 directly into Pocket4K using phantom power and placed about a foot from persons mouth.

5. Rode NTG3 into Zoom F4 using phantom power and placed as per #4 to compare in built pre amp to Zoom F4.

I'll aim to record everything at around -12dbfs

I will try to upload the video to Youtube or Vimeo and also provide a high quality audio file available for download. 

Seem ok?

25 minutes ago, A_Urquhart said:

Ok, so by reading here and BMC User, it seems that people really want to know what the audio is like. As there are no other videos around showing the audio qualities of the Pocket4k, thats what i'll focus on tonight.

Just so I'm not wasting my time, off the top of my head, here is how i'm gong to do the test...let me know if you think it could be done better but again, I'll only have an hour or so to do this tonight.

1. Inbuilt mic with person reading, sitting about 4ft from camera to simulate general piece to camera or interview.

2. Inbuilt mic with person reading about 4ft away but walking left to right of room to test how directional mic is (?).

3. Same scenarios as 1 & 2 but using Rode Video Mic (Original) into minijack input and mounted on camera to compare scenarios 1, 2 &3.

4. Rode NTG3 directly into Pocket4K using phantom power and placed about a foot from persons mouth.

5. Rode NTG3 into Zoom F4 using phantom power and placed as per #4 to compare in built pre amp to Zoom F4.

I'll aim to record everything at around -12dbfs

I will try to upload the video to Youtube or Vimeo and also provide a high quality audio file available for download. 

Seem ok?

Sounds good.

19 hours ago, Jonesy Jones said:

One of the more significant announcements from today is the upcoming Panny Leica 10-25mm 1.7 lens. This will be a brilliant lens for this camera. Too bad there is no OIS. But still, looking forward to pricing and availability.

https://***URL removed***/news/9248867492/panasonic-is-developing-a-10-25mm-f1-7-lens-for-micro-four-thirds

Given the size of the sensor wouldn't it be better a sigma 17-50 2.8 as an all - purpose lens? That's roughly a 21-62 S35 equivalent and paired with a ef-m43 smart adapter shouldn't be more than 600 bucks. 

Screenshot_2018-09-26-09-52-12-1.png

In fact you could use it with the Aputure DEC and have both internal Nd's and the lightest follow focus. 

3 hours ago, Álex Montoya said:

Given the size of the sensor wouldn't it be better a sigma 17-50 2.8 as an all - purpose lens? That's roughly a 21-62 S35 equivalent and paired with a ef-m43 smart adapter shouldn't be more than 600 bucks. 

Screenshot_2018-09-26-09-52-12-1.png

In fact you could use it with the Aputure DEC and have both internal Nd's and the lightest follow focus. 

That lens has a major flaw, horrid manual focus with an ultra short focus throw. Ois is also jerky for video. 

I mean manual focus works better with a follow focus because results are repeatable as explained here:

https://suggestionofmotion.com/blog/sigma-17-50mm-f2-8-lens-review/

And was wondering if something like this would help a bit with the throw:

maxresdefault.jpg

Here, they discuss extending the throw with the FF gears. I haven't tried something like that, but sounds feasible.

http://www.bmcuser.com/showthread.php?21858-Extend-focus-throw-with-gears

Also, just read here that with a wireless FF you can remap the focus throw to the operator liking:

http://www.cinematography.com/index.php?showtopic=71950

Anyway, what I would love is such a zoom in cine form.

8 minutes ago, jonpais said:

I’m curious - how does using a follow focus with this lens increase the short focus throw?

i doubt  anything can change the focus throw apart from major surgery, perhaps he's used to using a follow focus adapter or maybe its just wishful thinking that it may improve the handling somehow. i do know that its easier to turn a (bigger steering wheel  than a smaller steering wheel)  so maybe a larger diameter wheel over the lens may improve a  handling aspect for him  perhaps

3 hours ago, jonpais said:

I’m curious - how does using a follow focus with this lens increase the short focus throw?

Think of it like a lever. With a follow focus, you will gain rotation on the follow focus wheel, so it will be a little easier to get critical focus.

I actually think the Sigma 17-50mm lens is underrated. The OIS isn’t horrible, definitely helpful. It’s a fairly sharp lens and it has hard stops, so it’s definitely a good contender for a follow focus.

I’d agree that the Sigma 17-50m is a decent choice for the P4K. With a speedbooster, you have a general purpose lens that mimicks a 24-70mm but with an f/2. Add the original 30mm 1.4 and you have a good two lens set up.

A better option may be the Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 and the 35mm f/2. Both have really good IS and with the speedbooster, you’ll have an f/2 and f/1.4 respectively.

8 minutes ago, mercer said:

I’d agree that the Sigma 17-50m is a decent choice for the P4K. With a speedbooster, you have a general purpose lens that mimicks a 24-70mm but with an f/2. Add the original 30mm 1.4 and you have a good two lens set up.

A better option may be the Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 and the 35mm f/2. Both have really good IS and with the speedbooster, you’ll have an f/2 and f/1.4 respectively.

The problem is the canon's focus ring  doesn't have hard stops, right?

7 minutes ago, Álex Montoya said:

The problem is the canon's focus ring  doesn't have hard stops, right?

Well, I only briefly owned the 17-55mm a few years ago so I don’t remember to be honest. The 35mm f/2 has them but I would call them soft stops. Basically, you can feel a stop on either end but the rubber grip continues to spin so it also can feel like there isn’t a stop if you’re not paying attention.

But with a lot of follow focus’, you can set hard stops. With my current setup, I’m not using a follow focus so I don’t have a lot of information about which products have that feature.

And I actually like a short focus throw. I focus by hand and like the tactile feel. With a long focus throw, it makes for some sloppy rack focuses.